Is "OPEN URL" working?

dimsdaledimsdale Member, PRO Posts: 495
edited December 2022 in Tech Support

I need to put together a quick app that loads an embedded website.

I can't find anything in the cook book any more, I'm sure there used to be something there??

something like this should work??

I just get a blank white screen with the word "close" on a black bar on the top left.

using an iPhone 12, tested build in TestFlight.

Comments

• The GlessnerdThe Glessnerd Member Posts: 63

I have it in my current bills and it works as it should. However, mine redirects to email, not a website

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,054

Can you DM me your project? It should work fine, but we haven't touched that code for iOS in a while so it may need updating.

I'm asking for your project publishing link, because sometimes it's project specific so that just save me time since I'd likely be looking at this over the weekend.

• dimsdaledimsdale Member, PRO Posts: 495

thank you @adent42

let me know if you didn't get me message, I'm not sure it sent or not.

any updates on this?

thanks in advance.

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,054

I DMed @dimsdale, but for everyone else who is wondering:

iOS has a thing called App Transport Security and that's interfering with the openURL behavior.

It will take us a few days to add configs for that setting in publishing UI, so you'll have to do it manually until then:

You will need to add the following in your plist (so build, download, edit plist, sign using iOS App Signer).

• Right Click and "Show Package Contents"
    • Open Info.plist
    • Look for "App Transport Security Settings" or "NSAppTransportSecurity"
    • Under that look for "Exception Domains" or "NSExceptionDomains"
    • Click the ">" to the left of the above key to it so it points down "⌄".
    • Click on the + the right to and enter your domain in that new plist entry.
    • Do that for every domain you want to open.

edited November 2023

Oh Sorry, I forgot to follow up on this, Thanks for the updates here. It was working great last time I tested on iOS.

But on Android, it seem to go and open up an external link, and not use and embedded browser??

is it possible to move the "Close" or "X" (I can't remember what it was) to the bottom of the screen too?? or have an option in a command?

Thanks

I'm pretty sure that at the time we originally set it up, there was no "easy" embedded browser widget for Android, but I'm pretty sure there is one now, so we'll look into it.

As for moving the X, that probably won't be something we can easily do here, but we might be able to configure with the tweet sheet behavior.

I'll keep you updated.

Oh awesome, thanks :)

Got a little spare time again, need to finish something, even if it only on Android.

• LokitoesLokitoes Member, PRO Posts: 187

Hey dimsdale and adent42, sorry to hijack this thread a little but I am having a similar problem. I am using Open URL on an html-published game. The functions should be simple, the game itself is for html so it is loaded to one address, and on button-click it just needs to go to a completely different address. When the embed option is on, I get a tiny X pop-up when clicked, when the embed function is off, it doesn't seem to do anything when clicked.

Testing in Chrome on Android phone.

Is the URL function also having issues for HTML publishing, or is this perhaps a separate issue?

@Lokitoes could you DM me your publishing link. I'm not sure why it's happening, so I'll have to take a look.