Run the app only with wifi or data connection

djzcreativedjzcreative Member, PRO Posts: 33

Hello Everyone I have a problem I published my app with android, it is free with advertising, but I realized that if you remove the data connection the app works without showing the advertising, how can I make the app work only with wifi or data connection? and prevent them from using it without a connection?

thank you so much for your help.

Comments

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,331

This is not possible with GameSalad. But the problem you're trying to avoid is one faced by most apps. The kind of person who will disable wifi to avoid ads is unlikely to buy ad removal, and preventing offline play will just annoy users and lead to bad reviews.

• djzcreativedjzcreative Member, PRO Posts: 33
    edited April 2022

Thanks a lot for the answer. But can't we then make sure that advertising can also be run ofline and counted once users connect? or something similar ?

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,054

Currently the best you could do to check online status is to use the network behaviors to hit your own server. If that fails, you can guess they're offline and adjust accordingly.

As per @Armelline, turning the game off would likely lead to bad reviews if it's not implicitly an online game.

Some ways to handle this:

1) Use rewarded ads. It incentivizes people to view ads.

2) Create a game with an online component.

3) Put in your own backup ad. I.e. if you want to use banner ads and you find the user is offline, display your own ads for your other games or find some businesses willing to pay you for "offline" ads. You could either use the network behaviors to track impressions and submit them via the network behavior. The big issue here is that you need to update the game often to rotate out the ads.

4) Plea for help pop-up. You know that popup websites put up when you have adblock enabled? Something like that. Just a popup that shows up once in a while if a user is offline too long reminding them that without ads you won't be able to make more awesome games like this or maybe points them to a no-ads unlock IAP.