New Mac apps don't launch on pre-Big Sur?

I downloaded an unsigned build of some test apps I've made, but the apps crash immediately on launch. Not even to the splash screen logo. I tested Mojave (10.14.5) and El Capitan (10.11), and neither work with the app. I haven't tested on Big Sur itself, but the error says to "make sure [the app] works with this version of macOS".

The actual crash report is really long, but these few lines look important to the actual error occuring:

Termination Reason:  DYLD, [0x4] Symbol missing

Application Specific Information:

dyld: launch, loading dependent libraries

Dyld Error Message:

Symbol not found: _ECDSA_sign

Expected in: /usr/lib/libboringssl.dylib

It's like some system library is missing or altered in some way. My guess is that something's trying to reference a system file that has a different path on some macOS versions, but the code's not checking for that.

I'm just wondering how this seemingly sprung up out of nowhere. I've had builds before that run perfectly fine on all 3 versions. If anyone knows how this could be fixed, I'd like to know. Thanks!

Comments

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,059

As we updated the code for mac builds we've had to use the latest XCode and attending build systems, which may not work well with older versions of macOS.

Let us know what versions you're expecting things to run on and we'll see if we can do anything.

• JettJamesJettJames Member Posts: 7
    edited May 2021

Thanks for getting back. I would hope at least 10.14 and 10.15 could be supported again. They're only a few years old at this point, and older Macs don't seem to run Big Sur as well. Maybe a good solution would be to add an option to build the game using an older version of Xcode? I'm not sure how possible that could be, but if it is, I'd appreciate it. Just whatever works.

Oh, and unrelated: I can't change my profile picture. It's not too big of a deal, but it's a little annoying, since I have 2 better ones I use most other places. I'd rather the macOS problems get fixed first, though.

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,059