Using App Tracking Transparency (iOS 14)

2»

Comments

• solnikasolnika Member Posts: 132
  • bob loblawbob loblaw Member, PRO Posts: 793

in another thread, someone mentioned they had att and gdpr prompts on a submission which i think was rejected.

its also been suggested in a few places on the www that even if you are just using non targeted ads, you still need to implement att. i was thinking about this and thinking why? basically, when the att prompt comes up, if the user selects “do not allow”, the app reverts to non targeted ads. if your app is set up to default to non targeted ads, with no intention of going to personalized ads, you shouldn’t need to check with the user.

@adent42 or anyone else that knows, do we need to show and ask for both GDPR and ATT prompt?

OR ATT prompt is enough and will adjust GDPR settings as well?

Also, what about android? what do we need to ask ?

I can't seems to figure this out.

Thanks for anyone who can help.

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,060

The ATT prompt will not set GDPR settings, they are currently still separate.

For android just set GDPR.

Thanks @adent42 , one more question please, can I set it to 1 by default and don't let the player play if they don't accept ?

• bob loblawbob loblaw Member, PRO Posts: 793

@solnika if you’re using admob there’s a thing on your account that asks you a bunch of questions re: your app. when i went through mine (also for the california thing) it told me the message wasn’t needed as i was using non-targeted ads.

for apple i contacted them to ask if we needed to use att if we were using non targeted ads, and they told me i had to check with admob. yep- the incompetent peanut at apple that replied told me google should tell me if i needed to use the framework apple have on their devices. the answer it seems is yes, as non targeted ads use coarse location for ads, even though on android that same data doesn’t need an alert to the user.

Thanks for the answer

• guillefaceguilleface Member, BASIC Posts: 1,014

@digichain, that lighthouse remind years ago when I played your games, any reason why you stop making games like that?

• DigiChainDigiChain Member, PRO Posts: 1,277

@guilleface - it's nice to hear those games are still remembered by some people! I still love old-style adventure games but they don't seem so popular these days so I've moved on to other things. Maybe I'll make another one day!

• TechnaturallyTechnaturally Member, PRO Posts: 31
    edited April 2022

@adent42 - thanks a lot for the more detailed explanation you gave back in March 2021 about GDPR and ATT/App Tracking Transparency.

My game has Intersitial ads and Reward video ads all provided by AdMob (no other networks, no mediation), and I publish both for iOS and Android. I chose to set privateDataConsentForAds to 0 without prompting at all, so that the ads would be non-personalised, meaning I did not need to prompt players to ask them to consent for GDPR.

Would you please clarify the following for me?:

1. Since then, Apple's iOS 14 introduced ATT. So if I still set privateDataConsentForAds to 0, does this mean that I do NOT need to implement the pop-up asking for App Tracking Transparency? I.e. is all data sent to AdMob anonymised and not including the device ID or any other unique ID?
    2. If privateDataConsentForAds = 0 means that there is no tracking at all, I should be safe to fill out the new App Store Connect 'Privacy' section saying NO for all Tracking questions, right? What about the questions about whether data is collected and linked to a user (e.g. coarse location)? Or is there no user linking done at all when privateDataConsentForAds = 0. I was trying to follow this guide for how to answer the Privacy questions when using AdMob, but it assumes that personalised ads are being used: https://levelup.gitconnected.com/filling-out-the-app-privacy-section-in-app-store-connect-for-admob-users-bca0768ad86e
    3. How exactly do I call the ATT dialogue? I know I am supposed to use the 'TweetSheet' behaviour but what do I enter into the boxes? I couldn't find that info anywhere on the forums or the docs.
    4. For the ATT dialogue to appear, do I need to set iOS_Social as the social provider in the publishing page for iOS?
    5. Finally, if privateDataConsentForAds = 0 means NO tracking, I should blank out the 'User tracking request description' box in the publishing portal, but what about 'Enable ad network attribution'? Do I still tick that even if I want the ads NOT to be personalised?