constrain vs interpolate & How many Image can gamesalad handle?

So what is the latest about constrain vs interpolate for best performance?

What is best to use to move an actor around?

Also those anyone know how many image can be upload to be used in a game?

I know 10,000 is possible, but how about 50,000? any hard limit?

Thanks

Comments

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,331
    edited December 2020

With constrains vs interpolates, it's best to base it on which works better for your purposes, rather than what is most efficient. Constrains, interpolates, moves/move tos and accellerates all behave quite differently and each is suitable for some purposes and not for others. Phones these days are fast enough that you can get away with hundreds of any so there's no point worrying about eeking out little bits of efficiency at the cost of more difficult or buggier logic.

The number of images that can be used is something I haven't tested in a while, and never tried to push the online creator as high as even 10,000. Try it and see would be my advice!

• solnikasolnika Member Posts: 132

Thanks for your reply, I can achieve what I need with both constrain and interpolates so I just wanted to know if there is any "big" difference, seems there isn't.

As for images, testing will take time so I wanted to know if anyone experience that before do it myself .

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,051

I'm not 100% since I haven't looked at that part of the engine but:

constrain is reactive (wait for value change, update constraint)

interpolate is not (change value on each tick).

So interpolate is ever so slightly more efficient BUT if you have another thing watching the interpolated behavior, like a rule, then I'd use constrain, as the slightly slower loop will actually be more efficient for the watcher (fewer evaluations).

Again, I haven't looked at that part of the engine, but based on some experinments I've done recently for another thread, that seems to be how things works.

In most cases, it's not gonna matter, since the difference is negligible.

• solnikasolnika Member Posts: 132

Thanks @adent42 that's good to know how things work.

Any idea about images limit?