Google Play Subscriptions?

adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,034
edited October 2020 in News from the Dev Team

Out of curiosity, is anyone using Google Play Subscriptions? We hacked it in a few release back (you just treat it as a non-consumable whose state could change in the future).

It seems that google is requiring support for some other states including: Account Hold, Restore, and Pause for subscriptions by Nov 1. These features would require server integration. The server would need to make calls to Google's API in order to get these new states as they are not returned as part of the IAP info.

We could, in theory, add this to the game, but that would also entail you packaging API credentials in your game, which is something google wants to avoid.

The reason I ask is that we have at least one user that is waiting for me to complete an updated to google's billing (which we're doing as part of the general upgrade of libraries in the next android release). This would, in theory, allow for subscriptions.

If anyone else is doing this, it would be great to gather resources around how people are setting up their servers to handle IAP in general.

For me this leaves a few direct questions I have for the community:

1) Are you a developer that does web / API stuff that can do contract work for other GameSalad developers.

2) What languages are people developing in, so I can focus efforts for sample code in the future (php, javascript, python, etc?)

3) What host are you using to host sever based stuff in general. Virtual Hosts with PHP support. AWS, Google, AirTable? etc...

4) Would you want GameSalad to handle this as part of your subscription. A general server validation framework for IAPs.

Thanks!

Comments

• adriangomezadriangomez Member, PRO Posts: 436
    1. No contract for me.
    2. Javascript.
    3. Gamespark and I also have azure and a mongo db (all javascript).
    4. Sure why not. Make sure you charge for it. :-)