No sound playing in Gamesalad Creator (web)

palladionetpalladionet Member, BASIC Posts: 5
edited October 2020 in Working with GS (Online)

I am new to GS creator. Use the web Creator with an Edu subscription. My game works all right, only any uploaded sound (.ogg, .wav and .m4a tested) won't play. Settings: volume 7, pitch 7, run to completion true, all else false.

Here's the game: https://www.palladio.net/enigma/

There should be a sound if you click the practice/test switch.

What am I missing?

Best Answers

• gingagaminggingagaming FREELANCE GS DEV Posts: 1,685
    Accepted Answer

Safari doesn't support it. its a major bug which we are praying @adent42 will fix but I know he has a lot on his "all he can eat" plate.

The only work around I have found (and its a real pain if you have lots of sounds!) is to convert all sound files back into WAV files and them import them into your project as MUSIC files and not sound files. Then change your rules to play music files instead of sound files. as Safari does support music files Maybe if you nudge @adent42 he may stick supporting the native apple browser on his list. Every little helps and all that!

• adent42adent42 Posts: 3,054
    Accepted Answer

So, Safari has a new feature where sounds won't play unless they are triggered by direct interaction. Sometimes the engine's game loop keeps sounds far enough from the triggering interaction that they are muted by default. You should be able to add code to the player HTML file to detect if you're in safari and sound isn't playing to show a button to "unmute" sounds.

Another possibility, if i remember correctly, is that the browser user agent is set to the device.name attribute, so you can detect Safari there and default your game to muted with a prompt to unmute.

Answers