Is it possible to update the app automatically?

My app needs to be updated periodically. May I know is it possible to set the app updates automatically? If not, could my app send a notification to the app user to announce there is an update version of the app?

Answers

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271

Unfortunately, your app cannot automatically push updates.

We don't have push notifications available in GameSalad, so that isn't possible either at this time.

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,034

If your game is data (table) driven, you could have it pull table updates.

So while you couldn't update images, you could still update stuff like level designs, dialog, or however you store stuff in tables to drive your game.

• gingagaminggingagaming FREELANCE GS DEV Member Posts: 1,685

You can also ensure the user has the latest version by getting the app to check the version installed before allowing the user to progress from the first scene. Do do this you would need to use a server and store the version number there. Then at app boot, speak to the server and check the version installed against the version on the server then either let the user past if it is current or redirect to download if it is not. Its not an auto update but it would force the user to update before they can use the app/game. You could also use this to send the player an "IN GAME" notification to update (and still allow the user to use the app) but as stated above, a push notification cannot be done as sadly GameSalad had never supported this. So in all cases the user would have to open the app to know there was an update available.

• Miss ChuiMiss Chui Member, PRO Posts: 50

Thanks very much for everyone's answer😀!

I have another question about the App updates.

If people downloaded the first version of my app, and he/she gets some points in the app (because the rewards from watching the rewarded video ad). After that, if I publish a second version of my app and he/she updates the app. Will the points be removed?Or how can I avoid this matter happened?

Thanks in advance.

As long as you don't change the way you are storing the points, they will save.

• Miss ChuiMiss Chui Member, PRO Posts: 50

In my app, the points are stored in an attribute. If the user update the app, the value stored in the attribute will be changed or not?

If you save the points when they are awarded and load the attribute at launch then you are ok, they won't be changed.