Android Publishing - how to choose the settings?

Hello, I am a beginner of making App. I have already finished my first App but when i tried to publish it, i do not know how to choose the settings. Sorry that I have so many question marks here. I really do not know how to make the decision of "tick" or not. Thanks in advance.

Answers

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,058

MinSDK set it to 21. Make sure to use Build RC for now.

Other wise it depends on your game.

The Hardware option can all be turned off if you haven't programmed your game to use those features.

"App Quits On Controller Back Button" must be off if you are publishing to the Amazon App Store. Otherwise, I'd just leave it on.

You can turn off internet access and ACCESS_WIFI_STATE unless you're using Ads or network behaviors.

You can turn off external storage if you never save any data with the Save Attribute or Save Table behaviors. (Most games do, so leave that on).

You can turn off VIBRATE if you don't use the Buzz behavior (You can usually leave that on as it doesn't hurt anything, but some reviewers might be picky about it if you don't actually vibrate during the game).

The Service Configs are based on what services you want to use. If you've set up your game to use ads, then chose the ad network that you want to use. You will need to go to the ad network's respective site to sign up.

If you are using In-App Purchase Choose the one that matches the store you are launching on (Amazon App Store or Google Play Store).

If you want leaderboards and achievements, check the ones you are using.

• Miss ChuiMiss Chui Member, PRO Posts: 50

Thank you very much for your reply. Could I know more about those Ad choices? There are two choices in Banner Ads and four choices in Interstitial Ads, may I know which one should I choose, or may I choose all of them? If I select all of them, is that means many different Ads will pop up in my App? Thanks in advance.

• bob loblawbob loblaw Member, PRO Posts: 793

depends what option you choose within your project, lydia. eg. in the change scene behaviour you can select interstitial ad or reward ad video.

to get that to work, you also need to set up your ad network to service those types of ads, and enter the IDs for your ad units in the services section when you publish your project.

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,058

@Lydia Chui

So you have to manually implement the calls to ad networks in your game. If you do not, selecting these options will not do anything but make your final APK bigger.

As @bob loblaw stated, you will need to use the Change Scene Behavior and select one of the ad types. For banner ads, you will need to call the Show Banner Ad behavior.

The intent is to give you control when ads show in your game in a platform agnostic way. Then when you publish, you can choose which ad networks those ads will pull from.

If you haven't manually included these ad providers, then don't check any of those boxes.

Some detail about ad types:

• Banner Ad. Show at the top or bottom of the screen when Show Banner Ad action is triggered.
    • Interstitial Ad. Shown between scenes if selected as an option in the change scene behavior. These are the easiest full screen ads to implement.
    • Reward Video Ads. These are higher paying, but harder to implement ads. After the ad shows, if the users watches the whole ad (or has watched for a fixed amount of time specified by the advertiser), the system will let you know. You can then add logic in the game to reward users for viewing the ad. As a beginner, I would avoid these until you are more confident with programming in GameSalad.

I hope that helps.

• UltraLionBluUltraLionBlu Member Posts: 157

Why put more providers? Do they pay differently? Isn't it better to just put what pays the most?

They do pay differently and they also fill differently.

Admob probably has the best fill rate, but it doesn't pay as well. Admob also has banner ads on all platforms.

Chartboost tends to pay better, but it doesn't alway fill as well. Chartboost has banner ads on Android, but we have not implemented banner ads on iOS.

IronSrc is a newer option. It's a mediation network, which means it will serve ads from all the services you configure (but you'll also need accounts with all of those services). It's also the least well documented, from our perspective.

FYI: Fill rate means how often an ad is shown when requested (sometimes an ad might not show if none is available.

If you're starting from scratch, I'd just go ahead and use IronSrc. This gives you the most flexibility, as you can choose all of it's available ad networks.

• UltraLionBluUltraLionBlu Member Posts: 157

I imagine that when we put the ad at the end of a scene, it is randomly chosen among the chosen providers, probably alternately

"Chartboost tends to pay better, but it doesn't alway fill as well"

If we use both providers via IronSrc when it happens that the ad is not ready to be shown, instead of showing the Chartboost ad, does it automatically show the Admob ad? complement each other?

@UltraLionBlu yes, as well as potentially from many other ad networks.