New Game Center with iOS 14

unbeatenpixelunbeatenpixel Game DeveloperMember, PRO Posts: 568

I tried to summarize the new features and wanted to notify before iOS 14 released in September. Changes will likely be required for access point, dashboard and recurring leaderboards. @adent42

1- Access Point

2- Dashboard

3- Achievements

4- Leaderboards

5- Recurring Leaderboards

6- Challenges(Optional)

7- Multiplayer

8- App Store

1- Access Point

The Game Center access point is an Apple-designed UI element that lets players view their Game Center profile and information without leaving your game.

Choose the information to present when the access point appears. When it first appears, the access point can briefly display highlights that are relevant in your game, like players' overall achievement progress or their standing among friends in the default leaderboard.

Display the access point in your main menu screen. If you can't add the access point to your game menu, you can add it to your settings screen instead.

Hide the access point when players leave your menu screen.

Avoid placing game controls near the access point.

Configure and Show Access Point

Showing and Hiding Access Point

2- Dashboard

The dashboard is a full-screen view that appears on top of your game and gives players access to their Game Center profile and information.

Pause your game while the dashboard is present.

It uses the same GKGamesCenterViewController class that you are probably using today. The main difference is how you initialize it.

Check out my games on the App Store!

Wordgraphy / Polycolor / 20 Seconds / Minimal Maze

Comments

• unbeatenpixelunbeatenpixel Game Developer Member, PRO Posts: 568

3- Achievements

If necessary, your game can include a custom link that takes players directly to the achievements area in the dashboard.

4- Leaderboards

Friends Section on Leaderboards

Display a list of leaderboards or show a spesific leaderboard

Submit score for Classic Leaderboard

5- Recurring Leaderboards

You configure a recurring leaderboard using a set of parameters in App Store Connect.

Load current occurence of a recurring leaderboard

Submit a score for recurring leaderboard

App Store Connect Recurring Leaderboard Configuration

Limits and Considerations

6- Challenges (Optional)

The Challenges feature now lives behind a new opt in flag with an app store connect. By default, the challenges section of the dashboard will not appear within your game.

7- Multiplayer

When you adopt Game Center multiplayer functionality, you can use the system-designed multiplayer UI or present the information within your custom UI. Although the Game Center multiplayer UI supports the ability to send invitations to a player’s contacts, GameKit doesn’t provide API that lets you offer this functionality in a custom multiplayer UI.

Provide an unambiguous button that lets players access the multiplayer lobby. If your game supports a multiplayer experience, clearly display this option in your game’s main menu screen. For best results, use the term "Multiplayer."

8- App Store

Your friend's avatar will now show up on App Icons.

Friends are playing will also be highlighted on your game's product page.

----

I like the new design of the Game Center. I hope it has no problematic feature for Gamesalad.

ps: I had to divide it into 3 part because of the forum character limit.

• mikejamesfishermikejamesfisher Member, PRO Posts: 88

Thank you @unbeatenpixel!