Will the Creator be removed once the online tool is ready?

2»

Comments

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069

@RowdyPants said:
    @AlchimiaStudios That new Mac Pro looks insane! 1.5 Terabytes of RAM. 8K video. What?!

And the Pro Display XDR with its jaw dropping 6K panel. Stoked.

Yeah, pretty crazy stuff!

Follow us: Twitter - Website

• HypnorabbitHypnorabbit SingaporeMember, PRO Posts: 263

@RowdyPants said:
    @AlchimiaStudios That new Mac Pro looks insane! 1.5 Terabytes of RAM. 8K video. What?!

And the Pro Display XDR with its jaw dropping 6K panel. Stoked.

You can actually afford either of those things?? :s

• RowdyPantsRowdyPants Member Posts: 465

@Hypnorabbit Only in my dreams! I'm 'stoked' because in a few years I'll be able to grab a used one, lol. Although, I just learned there's an extra required dongle when purchasing the 6K display that costs an extra $1K. smh

• Two.ETwo.E Member Posts: 599

@adent42 Is this close to final design for web creator? I remember talks this time last year that it would change, but it hasn't.

Thats very difficult to seperate behaviours from rules from other rules.

The reason why I love creator is because there is separation of elements and I can see the actual logic structure clearly..

I also find Table editing very difficult due to constant syncing. I spoke about this last year but looks like its here to stay.

Best,
    Two.E

• famekraftsfamekrafts Member, BASIC Posts: 834

@adent42

Another online creator issue, I cannot import music any more, only sound as oog. So when trying to run the same music in different scenes like in pc creator it doesn't work. The sound stops when the scene changes.

• ToqueToque Member Posts: 1,187
    edited June 2019

@Two.E said:
    @adent42 Is this close to final design for web creator? I remember talks this time last year that it would change, but it hasn't.

Thats very difficult to seperate behaviours from rules from other rules.

The reason why I love creator is because there is separation of elements and I can see the actual logic structure clearly..

I also find Table editing very difficult due to constant syncing. I spoke about this last year but looks like its here to stay.

Best,
    Two.E

This was one my biggest gripes. (And many other people). It was difficult to actually read and stare at. Difficult to drag things. Any logic flow was straining. No contrast between things that need to be separated. There are no spaces between things that need to be separated. The colours are mushy. Its pleasant to look at until you need to read it. Then you dont want mushy you need contrast. Unless it was very simple it was impossible to make sense of it.
    Creator handled it quite well. A joy to use.
    Its a very fundamental thing. To enjoy coding. I think anyone to sit and make a game will quickly understand what your saying. I made an entire game with the online creator. I thought it might be just something I could get used to.

I hope they redesign it and improve on it.

• blobblob Member, PRO Posts: 229
    edited June 2019

@Toque @Two.E @adent42 yep yep ..... I remember the talks.... getting rid of "sentence" based UI, dark mode, less space between rules etc....
    Remember the prototype i made back then ?:

( bigger version in the attachment )

The fact of the matter is, Unfortunately, they do not have a UI/UX designer on hand and have other more pressing issues to take care of, like fixing creator preview, getting the Html tool to handle big files (I'm not sure it's even possible with the creator codebase, I have doubts) and remaining features needing to be ported from creator before redesigning the tool, if ever....but let's cross fingers.

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

Yeah, @blob and a few other people made design prototypes for the online version and they were worlds better than the existing version. As you said, no one with a professional graphic design sense is overseeing the project and it's one of the biggest reasons I can't bring myself to use it.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

@blob said:
    @Toque @Two.E @adent42 yep yep ..... I remember the talks.... getting rid of "sentence" based UI, dark mode, less space between rules etc....

The fact of the matter is, Unfortunately, they do not have a UI/UX designer on hand and have other more pressing issues to take care of, like fixing creator preview, getting the Html tool to handle big files (I'm not sure it's even possible with the creator codebase, I have doubts) and remaining features needing to be ported from creator before redesigning the tool, if ever....but let's cross fingers.

That’s so clean and beautiful blob. I wonder if there are online restrictions that prevent this design? I think socks and jasper had ideas as well.

I wonder if education resources are made and any changes would cause extra work to remake them??

edited June 2019

@tatiang said:
    Yeah, @blob and a few other people made design prototypes for the online version and they were worlds better than the existing version. As you said, no one with a professional graphic design sense is overseeing the project and it's one of the biggest reasons I can't bring myself to use it.

It could be a lot better.

Guys keeping in mind they have no graphic designer for the GUI, we have to cope with the design.

At the end it is a tool we use. How fancy the hammer is, shouldn't matter when we hammer nails.

Continue to make games with what we have, that will matter at the end.

edited June 2019

@famekrafts said:
    Guys keeping in mind they have no graphic designer for the GUI, we have to cope with the design.

At the end it is a tool we use. How fancy the hammer is, shouldn't matter when we hammer nails.

Continue to make games with what we have, that will matter at the end.

Doesn’t have to be fancy. But it should be functional. That’s exactly the problem I can’t use the new tool.

This was all discussed a year ago. I shouldn’t get into it. It’s unsettling.

edited June 2019

@famekrafts said:

That's not an accurate analogy.
    This is not about fanciness or look of the tool, this is about ergonomic design, which allows us to focus, gain time, read logic quicker, catch and prevents mistakes more efficientl and so, creating am unobstructed seamless flow between your brain and the tool.

Now imagine a hammer with bad ergonomic design: a circle shaped handle to your hammer for example... you can still hammer in the nail... but it will take more energy, you may miss the nail many time, nail might end up bent and you would probably hit your arm in the process. Imagine working with that circular handle hammer everyday... now you get it. :)

I understand the problem guys. I am using both pc and online creator and I can see the difference myself. But we do not have a choice. When it comes to visual scripting there is no other game engine like Game Salad. I have tried them all. With GS whichever state it is, we can still complete a game without coding or getting stuck.

Rest every other engine you will need some kind of coding or get stuck while publishing.

Check this game video I created with Unreal a year back, almost functional but I got stuck with the blueprints later. Only GS helped me to complete a game before, and that is the reason I am using it now and for the same reason, I am asking you all not to stop using it. The online creator might not be functional yet but the mac and pc creator is, so use that.

edited June 2019

@famekrafts said:
    I understand the problem guys.

Yes. I knew you understood, but these type of comments could reinforce GS team into thinking that the HTML tool is good enough and that only a minority is dissatisfied with it , we don't need that.
    They already think that the purple color equals branding identity when it facts it equals ugly, old and goofy (classic amateur mistake of putting personal taste before color culture and codes and mistaking repeated designed element for identity) but that's beside the point.... o:)

I am using both pc and online creator and I can see the difference myself.

For those who come from Mac the difference is even More staggering.

almost functional but I got stuck with the blueprints later.

I know what you mean Blueprint is good for small things, however an entire game in blueprint (AKA a spaghetti mess) is very hard to complete.
    I do think Blueprint is the wrong paradigm anyway ( too close to C++ instead of fundamentally shifting to a logic system that benefits from node visualization, it defeats it's own purpose)

@blob said:

@famekrafts said:
    I understand the problem guys.

Yes. I knew you understood, but these type of comments could reinforce GS team into thinking that the HTML tool is good enough and that only a minority is dissatisfied with it , we don't need that.
    They already think that the purple color equals branding identity when it facts it equals ugly, old and goofy (classic amateur mistake of putting personal taste before color culture and codes and mistaking repeated designed element for identity) but that's beside the point.... o:)

I am using both pc and online creator and I can see the difference myself.

For those who come from Mac the difference is even More staggering.

almost functional but I got stuck with the blueprints later.

I know what you mean Blueprint is good for small things, however an entire game in blueprint (AKA a spaghetti mess) is very hard to complete.
    I do think Blueprint is the wrong paradigm anyway ( too close to C++ instead of fundamentally shifting to a logic system that benefits from node visualization, it defeats it's own purpose)

Ok Html tool is not good enough. Period. That is the reason I opened this thread. But at this point of time, we do not have any choices except using the pc/mac creator and online creator together.

When used together the differences between these are even more staggering.

@blob said:

Incredible design @blob - much better organisation of elements than what exists right now. So much better.

Instead of GS being protective of their product all these years (and it’s a lot of years), couldn’t they involve you guys in the process? I don’t get it.

Bring on yourself, @tatiang, @Toque and whoever else as advisors (or at least take your advice on board pro bono) and then redesign the online product around that? It would curry good favour with the community and get things done properly once and for all.

Plus a better product would generate more revenue...

Plus GS just had a round of funding so they could use a small section of that towards a UI redesign.

@Hypnorabbit said:

@blob said:

Incredible design @blob - much better organisation of elements than what exists right now. So much better.

Instead of GS being protective of their product all these years (and it’s a lot of years), couldn’t they involve you guys in the process? I don’t get it.

Bring on yourself, @tatiang, @Toque and whoever else as advisors (or at least take your advice on board pro bono) and then redesign the online product around that? It would curry good favour with the community and get things done properly once and for all.

Plus GS just had a round of funding so they could use a small section of that towards a UI redesign.

There are a lot of designers here.

Adent is a coder I believe. With the basic and pro subscriptions and funding why GS staff cannot hire more designers? I just simply do not want to see Gamesalad dying in the long run, which is happening right now with everyone abandoning the ship.

edited June 2019

@Hypnorabbit said:

@blob said:

I’m not a designer. I could not design anything better. I would hire a designer to do it.

I don’t know if there was any users that had input into the look or function of the new tool.

This was discussed before.

https://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/95806/why-are-they-building-the-web-version-without-pro-designers/p1

@Toque said:

@Hypnorabbit said:

@blob said:

I’m not a designer. I could not design anything better. I would hire a designer to do it.

I don’t know if there was any users that had input into the look or function of the new tool.

This was discussed before.

https://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/95806/why-are-they-building-the-web-version-without-pro-designers/p1

But couldn’t you provide valuable feedback on the user experience that a hired designer could use? Before you left the platform (I’m assuming). That’s more of what I was getting at.

• MotisGamesMotisGames Member, PRO Posts: 15

Honestly didnt even know there was a web version. Doesnt seem well advertised or anything. Would be handy to have, but from the screenshots I've seen here I'll have to wait until it's a little more user friendly like the PC version (or until I'm more skilled with GS). The PC version is very user friendly and it would be nice to see the web version done similarly. I started with 0 coding experience, and after watching just 45 mins of tutorials, I learned enough to make a 99% fully functioning game over the next few days without having to watch any more tutorials. By the looks of it, that would have been a much different story on the web version.. looks a bit confusing for a beginner especially with the rules displayed the way they are. Anyways, keep working on it! It would be a great tool if it was a little more clean.