Looking for a team of designers and GS visual scriptwriters for a RPG game.

famekraftsfamekrafts Member, BASIC Posts: 834
edited May 2019 in Help Wanted

I am creating a RPG Game with Game Salad and I am documenting the process into a book.

The aim is to create a simple RPG game with GamesSalad. (not as big as Diablo). With a themed stage, each stage has 25 levels, each level has some goal or a miniboss to kill.

The aim is to create a game, which is not about taking it to the top 10 on play store and then later just disappears. The purpose is to create a game in Gamesalad which will stay on the play store for years just like angry birds or plants vs zombies which are running for decades because their makers keep adding more content to it.

Current Goals -

Create a Diablo style 2.5D game in Game Salad. Check the graphics I am using down in the video.

Create 1 themed stage and launch the game. Keep on adding more themed stages later on just like other major games do.

Starting with a knight character. Adding more characters later on.

Using Ad Monetizing in the core of the game, so players actually like to click on ads to get more gold or items in the game. We will Beta test even how advertising works in the game.

What will you get as a team member?

Like all the games nowadays it is free to play, with in-app purchases.

Revenue will come through ads that can be shared among us. We can decide on the % before we start working.

Your name in the credits.

Completing the game in the next 3-4 months.

You will have your name in the credit section of the book. The book is totally separate from the game. As a designer, I am documenting even the graphics part of the game, which software to use, how to design it? etc.

If you have any books written by you on games, you get a page in the book to advertise your book and a special mention in the credits. Maybe even an ad in game, for example, use loading screen as splash ad page. ( we can decide on that)

No Paid work for now. I can hire someone on freelancer, elance and other sites to create a game, where I do not have to do any work, just pay and get a game ready probably in Unity.

My aim is to create a Game in game salad and publish it on different platforms and as a team, we can complete it and probably even make some money if we strategize ad monetizing well.

Someone asks you what game have you worked on, and you can say this is our game, and it is still going strong on play store.

Making a puzzle game, and similar games which stay alive for a while and disappear is very easy in Gamesalad.
People play around for 2-3 months launch a game and then move on to other engines.

Creating a legendary game which people would love to play for years is difficult and I understand gaming is like gambling, we can never be sure of the final outcome. That is the risk we all take while making games.

So, anyone who is interested in the project - and has GS visual scripting skills or knowledge of graphics software like animate, photoshop, illustrator, spriter and Blender are free to join in. Just write you are interested below and we can share our emails.

For the last 4 years, I have been selling game art packs on Scirra and have about 70 game art packs, which we can throw in the spin and reduce our graphics designing load.

I am already working on the book, have completed 5 chapters while I am designing the Game art as you can see in the video below. The Maps are 2.5D graphics, kind of like Diablo 2. Even If I do not get a team, I am still working on the project, it will just take more time alone.

Last time I was here on forums, there was a lot of interaction, I feel the forums are kind of flat nowadays. Hope more people join this because I do not see any recently published game with Gamesalad, which is making a dent in the game industry.

Everyone is on the road of fast and furious, game jams and one month time to finish games in Game Salad.

I am looking for a well strategized polished game and not just complete it and get away game full of bugs.

I have created UFO patrol with Gamesaald and I know it can handle bigger high-graphic quality games. The only difference now is there was no windows creator that time, now we have. Makes life easy for me.

The main platform focus is on iOS, Android and Steam. HTML 5 for the web is a no go, it will never handle the high-end graphics and we will be wasting time in optimizing it.

Any questions you are welcome to ask.

Comments

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

Asking for unpaid work has always been against the forum rules. I'm going to leave this thread open because you've obviously put a lot of thought into it. But I'll just warn people to be careful about signing up for a profit-sharing experience where you actually are not paid for your work.

Personally, if I was going to work on something like this, I'd want to see a proper design document... all the details about which ads you get and which book page you'll be part of seem like details that can be worked out in a legal contract. I'd focus on big picture stuff for right now -- I imagine you'll get more responses that way.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• famekraftsfamekrafts Member, BASIC Posts: 834
    edited May 2019

@tatiang said:
    Asking for unpaid work has always been against the forum rules. I'm going to leave this thread open because you've obviously put a lot of thought into it. But I'll just warn people to be careful about signing up for a profit-sharing experience where you actually are not paid for your work.

Personally, if I was going to work on something like this, I'd want to see a proper design document... all the details about which ads you get and which book page you'll be part of seem like details that can be worked out in a legal contract. I'd focus on big picture stuff for right now -- I imagine you'll get more responses that way.

Thanks Tatiang for letting this thread open.

I am designing my game and writing a book simultaneously. It is not asking for unpaid work, because I am anyways going to complete it alone or if possible with a team.

As I complete a few levels and together with it the book chapters, I will be in a better position to create a proper design document and give further details about the ads in game and in the book.

I am trying to work every day on it so I will continue to update my progress through this thread, using images and videos.

Being a designer I myself will not do unpaid work. I can understand the dilemma for people here. So let me build some trust by showing the progress and if people believe it is going somewhere, they might join the team.

I wish to make some dent with Gamesalad, if not through game than through the book. I have tried all game engines and I have finally chosen Gamesalad over those, because of the ease of usage and the visual scripting part.

Well just completed chapter 6 of the book and the tile map with cliffs.

Now going to add vegetation, rocks and stone paths. Probably even a sky background, to give it the isometric look.

Progress is slow but it is moving along.

edited May 2019

Added trees and sky.

The map will be zoomed in like this screenshot so it will look nice, the above pic was showing all the map zoomed out.

Added grasses, bushes, and rocks. Chapter 7 of the book is done.

Added paths with Chapter 8 half complete

edited May 2019

Completed world minimap with Chapter 8.

It is coming out nice, hope it is not going to create optimization issues later.

You will learn how to create such backgrounds using Photoshop and Animate in the book.

Finished creating first 2 background levels, which are shown how to create in the book.

It is based on the world map above, if you stand on the level icons, what you see around is how the levels are designed.

Rest 34 level backgrounds are needed to be designed which might take a while.

Chapter 9 completed.

Main menu designed with Chapter 10 Completed. Might make some changes to it later but for the Book it is done.

Loading page is done too.

Splash Screen and Main Menu is done in GameSalad. Chapter 11 complete. Next loading screens.

• evertevert Member Posts: 266

I saw someone do 2.5D here in gamesalad, it looked great, but i can't find the forum thread on it :/

Well I am going with using Animate, as my characters and all are 2D, so instead of 3D I am designing even isometric in 2D itself. Obviously, I cannot make a full-blown game like Diablo standards. So I will cut corners where I can and do it mostly in 2D but with high glossy effects where possible.

I am also inspired by clash of clans and boom beach. The whole mobile industry has shifted to no action gameplay. The gameplay itself is automated. We can just control a few skills and the location where we put our teams, that is it. The whole warfare is automated because it is easy to control it that way.

I am thinking of using these basics and go for a 2D RPG instead of 3D style, which will be too far a leap when working alone.

Switching to online editor

Going to work in main pc creator and web creator, because I am not sure that online creator is fully ready, while the pc one is ready. So for each chapter I will add screenshots for both the creators.

edited May 2019

Loading background added.

Same loading actor, can be used for every scene for now making the transition from one scene to another smooth.

Chapter 12 completed.

Added music which is working great with pc creator but appears broken with web creator.

• sinbotsinbot Member Posts: 232

An RPG is one of the most daunting type of games to make. I can't even get GS to work properly for a fairly simple escape game. Good luck!

edited June 2019

@sinbot said:
    An RPG is one of the most daunting type of games to make. I can't even get GS to work properly for a fairly simple escape game. Good luck!

I know but it is not 3D type RPG, it is turn-based 2D type, with attacks automated instead of controlled by players.

I have a kind of idea planned, and as I am documenting the process in the book, so I have already outlined what next chapters will be.

That way I have the basic layout ready and because I have created a game before in GS, I am very sure I can achieve it.

Why can't you make a simple game with it? Open a thread and ask us the problems maybe we can help you to sort it out.

Music on and off button added. Chapter 13 complete.

Currently creating the character select screen with Photoshop. Chapter 14 is half complete.

Taking some time here to create more game art packs to sell as well as to use inside the game.

Character Select screen is done. Chapter 14 completed.

World Map 1 is coded. Chapter 15 is done.