New member here

hello everyone I'm new in this forum, I'm Italian and I write with the google translator, so do not pay attention to my grammar please: D
I used the free version of gamesalad for 5 days, I found it great and I enjoyed using it, even if I'm not a programmer.
Now I should proceed with the payment, but I'm wondering what I'll actually be able to do with it.
There are many excellent tutorials on how to take the first steps, a bit of platformers a bit of shooter and then?
I think if I wanted to play a game like tetris or puzzle bobble, I should know how to program artificial intelligence to get the right pieces, or if I wanted to have a game where I can send an item to another player, where would I learn this?
are there any more advanced video tutorials?
I've read that pro subscriptions have priority technical support, what does it consist of?
Thanks to those who will answer me! bye Bye

Comments

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,334

Welcome to GameSalad!

Now I should proceed with the payment, but I'm wondering what I'll actually be able to do with it.

Whatever you want! Most 2D games can be created with GameSalad, though at first you might want to aim for something small and easily achieved.

I think if I wanted to play a game like tetris or puzzle bobble, I should know how to program artificial intelligence to get the right pieces, or if I wanted to have a game where I can send an item to another player, where would I learn this?

That really depends on what you want your game to do. Just remember that game "AI" is normally just a fairly basic set of instructions. Work out how you want the game to respond in different situations and figure out the ways to make it do so. It's something that will become much easier once you get the hang of how GameSalad and programming in general work.

are there any more advanced video tutorials?

There are lots of video tutorials on YouTube and several excellent courses you can follow along with. I'm sure some of the creators will be happy to share links.

I've read that pro subscriptions have priority technical support, what does it consist of?

It'll include problems with the software and publishing and things, but not really help maknig your game.

• JB makin' a gameJB makin' a game Member, BASIC Posts: 39

Welcome to GameSalad!
    The most insightful realization of the past 7 months using GS, is that basically anything you set your mind to, can be done in 2D. Even the illusion of 3D in some cases, but I wouldn't necessarily aim for that now.

I'm not a programmer as well and my only programming knowledge comes from a free beginners course C++ on some autodidactic app. Which basically teaches you nothing, because when you're done with the course, you know the basics for something far too complicated (C++) to build anything from scratch.
    However, the tutorials you mention on GS have provided me just enough basics, to go on experimenting and actually building a game from scratch, because the set up works fairly intuitive. Sure, they can improve stuff in the software. Probably more than I can comprehend, but still... the product as it is, has delivered every singly one of my increasingly high demands. I also found people on this forum to be very helpful, btw!

One last thing that Armelline mentioned as well:

@Armelline said:
    Work out how you want the game to respond in different situations and figure out the ways to make it do so.

I'm sure you have ideas, so write 'em down, as specific as you can. An example of how I did this:
    "When Level 1 starts, the users recieves a small instruction in words and visually supported by a simulation of how Level 1 looks like. The users can press the button to go back to the menu (top corner) or the 'start level' button, which starts Level 1."
    The original text is pretty long, but it has helped me a lot to get insight in what I wanted to do. I have also wondered whether creating AI for these actors wouldn't be too difficult for me, but it wasn't. For me it was the translation of written words into sets of rules, behaviors, etc. that really taught me GS and the tutorials were helpful when I couldn't figure it out myself. Nowadays I just write down quick notes and not entire storyboards, because there's no need describe every step specifically anymore, but I'm glad I did this when starting with GS. Also, drawing out (pencil and paper shouldn't be underestimated!) a scene can help you a lot, because an empty black rectangle on a screen that's called "Initial Scene" doesn't really trigger my creativity, where an empty white paper is more inviting to sketch up some ideas.

Good luck!

• gingagaminggingagaming FREELANCE GS DEV Member Posts: 1,685

I think @Armelline covered all the points here, im just welcoming you to the mad house. Just remember to use these forums to ask for helping guidance. There are many generous people on here who give their time to help others learn and succeed. Just start small, learn and then grow from that.

• CasualEvolutionCasualEvolution Member, PRO Posts: 523

Hi @UltraLion you are welcome! :)