State of the Salad 2018-09

Comments

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390
    edited October 2018

@adent42 You're right, I responded to your excuse, then tried to edit a mistake and my post was deleted! It was a long one too, full of wit, but now no one will know. :D

Any timeline for fixing the Forum software?

• blobblob Member, PRO Posts: 229

+1 for Ironsource

• CasualEvolutionCasualEvolution Member, PRO Posts: 523

Hi @adent42 IronSource seems like the winner!!! hehehe

I was thinking that there are small things, that perhaps will be "easy" to develop and will be very helpful. For example, it would be nice to be able to vary the "HSV" of an object, to vary its color and integration comfortably (for example desaturating according distance to camera, etc). In this way, it would also be good to have more blending modes, and that these take into account the alpha channel (now there is a bug with that).

From this side it is difficult to know what would be simple or not to develop, however what I am sure, is that just as something may not be simple to implement, there are other things that can be very simple to do and maybe you could work one week on those things.
    It occurs to me that we can collaborate in compiling a list of "simple" features and that you, knowing what it would involve to develop them, could choose the ones that are really quick to implement.
    So we could have an upgrade that includes "many improvements" but does not require "a lot of time", I do not know if I explain :)

• freneticzfreneticz SwedenMember, PRO Posts: 774

Now when you leave a actor it reset the pos ex to closed, want it back like before ?

• bob loblawbob loblaw Member, PRO Posts: 793

not sure if anyone else has had this, when doing an update, my icon seems to disappear when i leave the publishing page. it used to just be there previously, after initially adding.

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342

@bob loblaw said:
    not sure if anyone else has had this, when doing an update, my icon seems to disappear when i leave the publishing page. it used to just be there previously, after initially adding.

I think 512x512 ones stay, but 256x256 ones disappear.

@pHghost said:

@bob loblaw said:

my 512x512 was disappearing

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

Alright, now I've seen the bug where editing a user's post (in this case to remove duplicate quotes) makes a copy of it and then when I delete the copy, it deletes the original post as well. So frustrating.

@sinbot I owe you an apology but at least I screenshotted it before I deleted the copy:

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

@bob loblaw said:

@pHghost said:

@bob loblaw said:

Yeah, might be 512 disappears and 1024 stays. Try and play. :D

• BBEnkBBEnk Member Posts: 1,764

@pHghost said:

@bob loblaw said:

@pHghost said:

@bob loblaw said:

Yeah, might be 512 disappears and 1024 stays. Try and play. :D

they disappear but still, show up on a published game.

• HypnorabbitHypnorabbit SingaporeMember, PRO Posts: 263

Sorry posted in the wrong thread. Any ETA on Google Play Services? We kinda don't have a solution for leaderboards on android right now @adent42.

• AshumBesherAshumBesher Member, PRO Posts: 121

I'm very disappointed that GameSalad has got rid of GameCircle support all together. I know Amazon is no longer accepting new GameCircle apps, but they are still supporting existing GameCircle apps. And since Google is forcing me to update my apps to the latest SDK, I've had no choice but to update my games with non-functional leaderboards. They are arcade style games too, high scores is kind of the whole point of these particular games. Because of this, I'm actually considering removing these games from the Play Store. Very disappointed.

Completely agree @AshumBesher. How is GameSalad a viable solution for developers?

@adent42 when is Google leaderboards available?

I've got clients killing me over this.

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069
    edited October 2018

@adent42 I can't seem to edit the minimum ios version during publishing. The field looks editable but wont let me change to say 11.0 instead of the default 8.0. Is this intended or am I just experiencing some sort of bug?

Follow us: Twitter - Website

I think this field was never editable for iOS, just Android?

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069

@pHghost said:
    I think this field was never editable for iOS, just Android?

Hmm could be, it's been awhile since i've needed to look at that setting. Although the little ? box next to it is worded in such a way that you would think you could.

"The minimum supported iOS version control allows you to specify the lowest iOS version that your Gamesalad application will run on"

Follow us: Twitter - Website

@jamie_c said:
    @adent42 I think I have the same issue as @Armelline with the drag and drop. I used to be able to drag png files from my desktop into the image window (on Macintosh) to import images. That no longer works, I have to use the + button to open the standard open dialog box to import images now. I just updated to 1.25.95 so it seems like an issue with that version specifically.

just came across this while working on game #2, and it bugged the !@#$% out of me straight away.

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,065

I was finally able to test a basic run-through of Google Play Game Services successfully, so I hope to have something up on RC tomorrow.

@AshumBesher @Hypnorabbit I'll do a quick scoping of putting Amazon Game Circle back into the engine.

The reason it was removed was that after an attempt at upgrading it the Game Circle SDK as part of the upgrade to Android SDK 26, there were a few reported problems with Game Circle. Rather than spend time debugging a deprecated library, I thought it better to just kill it and move towards getting Google Play in as soon as possible.

Let me know if you still want it back now that we have Google Play and I'll take a look. If it's as simple as putting the old code back with few changes, I can throw it in. If it's going to take longer than that, I think our time would be better spent working on mediated ads.

What does GooglePlay services means, will GS support all the services....and what is all? ?

edited October 2018

Thanks @adent42 keep us informed. No I don't want Game Circle in the engine anymore as it's been depreciated by Amazon. I don't care about it.

Let's get the Google Play ball rolling. Awaiting your news.

• AshumBesherAshumBesher Member, PRO Posts: 121

If Google Play leaderboards can be implemented instead; then I no longer need GameCircle.

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,065
    edited October 2018

@freneticz Basically Achievements and Leaderboards on Google Play

@adent42 said:
    @freneticz Basically Achievements and Leaderboards on Google Play

Sounds good ?

Hi @adent42 thanks for this good news!
    I wanted to make a comment about the loading times of the scenes. As we all know, loading time when jump from one scene to another, is a weak point of GS and depending on the game has a great impact on the perception of it.
    I noticed, that if you jump between the scenes using pause (that can be nested recursively), the loading is much faster ... it is assumed that the memory is increased, but from what I see in the viewer, the use of memory is very similar and the times load are reduced by half in many cases ... going from 10 seconds that disqualify to 5 seconds that are somewhat bearable.
    Is there not a clue on that side, that allows you to make an adjustment in that aspect?

@CasualEvolution I would have to look into it more but I think it's because with pause we're not tearing down the old scene.

In order to make sure we're not leaking memory we have to clean up the old scene before loading the new scene.

With pause, we leave the old scene around and load the new scene on top. I think that's what your seeing.

Hi @adent42 I'm a little lost, video reward in ADmob is working? and what have you decided about IronSource and others? when do you estimate that you can have that implemented? Thanks

@CasualEvolution The code is done to allow for Admob Video Reward, Interstitial and Banner ads to run at the same time on Android, but you can't configure it right now.

That's because, if I enable the new configuration options, it would confuse people who are on iOS or are using a non-RC build.

I'm going to finish the iOS updates this week and then we'll start on a mediator (we also have a few education things to work on, so there's a small delay between projects).

While IronSource is the front runner, we haven't decided yet because I need to do some technical evaluation to ensure the SDK of whomever we choose is modular enough for our needs.

@adent42 said:
    @CasualEvolution The code is done to allow for Admob Video Reward, Interstitial and Banner ads to run at the same time on Android, but you can't configure it right now.

That's because, if I enable the new configuration options, it would confuse people who are on iOS or are using a non-RC build.

I'm going to finish the iOS updates this week and then we'll start on a mediator (we also have a few education things to work on, so there's a small delay between projects).

While IronSource is the front runner, we haven't decided yet because I need to do some technical evaluation to ensure the SDK of whomever we choose is modular enough for our needs.

OK! to wait and cross our fingers :)