Help! Google Play Store Feedback for getting Featured!

This discussion was created from comments split from: State of the Salad 06/2018.

Comments

• CasualEvolutionCasualEvolution Member, PRO Posts: 521

Hi @adent42 I have an email from google, in which they asks me for some adjustments of my game to consider it to feature it. I can do some adjustments, others do not and that's why I am writing.

I. Must resolve before feature consideration:

• Many users are sensitive to what sort of information is requested by the games they install. Limiting the amount of private information the game gathers from users by only requesting the absolute minimum number of permissions that it needs to support core functionality can help to draw in new users and keep them coming back to the game in the future. While reviewing the game, the following sensitive permissions found in the game’s manifest don't seem necessary to support user-facing features:

• READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE
    • WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE

Please remove any unnecessary permissions or explain how the permissions are being used. Additionally, make sure that when making use of these permissions, prompts follow the proper flow at run time.

For more info:
    http://developer.android.com/distribute/essentials/quality/core.html#fn
    https://developer.android.com/training/permissions/usage-notes.html
    NOTE: We could not locate the triggers for the Storage permissions. Please advise where in-game this permission can be located or provide us with screenshots or a short video demonstrating the permissions flow.

This is for the use of save and load attributes? and I need explain that or is something from your side that can be removed?

III. Optional suggestions and other feedback:

• The app's targetSdkVersion should be set to the latest version (currently 28) in order to ensure that newest platform behaviors and the correct default visual themes are applied. {Please note, starting November 2018, all updates to apps will be required to target API level 26 or higher.}

Our max API level is 26, no 28

Since Google Play is available on Chromebooks, we've been proactively testing titles for compatibility. Consider fixing the following issues to offer the best user experience on the popular devices.

• Users running Android games on Chromebooks will expect that the games windows will gracefully handle resizing and switching between landscape and portrait orientations. Window resizing issues were observed during review:

• After resizing the game, the game will restart at the home screen.

Apps can handle dynamic window resizing by:
    • using onConfigurationChanged(..)
    • adding android:configChanges="screenSize|smallestScreenSize|orientation|screenLayout" to the Android manifest
    • targeting API level 24 or higher

As a last resort, if the game must restart on window resize or change in orientation, use onSaveInstanceState to make the transition as smooth as possible.

Learn more at: https://developer.android.com/topic/arc/screen-size-comp

Is this something that you could add in the export process?

I'm waiting for your comments to respond to Google, thanks!

• Twayne2Twayne2 Member Posts: 458
    edited September 2018

How did you even get them to reply to you? Where did you go? I submitted to indie corner and nothing. :open_mouth:

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,034

@CasualEvolution READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE / WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE I think is used by ad networks to store cached ads. This is optional, so we could make that a publishing toggle.

targetSdkVersion is a different issue, PM me and we can discuss. Basically it comes down to testing. I don't know if it's as easy as changing the targetSdkVersion in our build script, or if I have to do code updates to the engine to support. Also, Chartboost is locked to API 26, so we might have to do a special build that removes that (or see if they have an update).

Also, we'd have to do some research on the Chromebook thing, no idea. But that would definitely be development and not a simple fix.

• unbeatenpixelunbeatenpixel Game Developer Member, PRO Posts: 568

@adent42 said:
    @CasualEvolution READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE / WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE I think is used by ad networks to store cached ads. This is optional, so we could make that a publishing toggle.

+1 publishing toggle

Check out my games on the App Store!

Wordgraphy / Polycolor / 20 Seconds / Minimal Maze

@adent42 said:

Thanks @adent42 , anyway, the version they are evaluating, does not have ADs! :(
    Actually I have the same code and choose according to a variable if it has ADs or not, and in addition to enable or not Chartboost at the publish time.
    When could you incorporate that toggle regarding enabling or not external storage?

targetSdkVersion is a different issue, PM me and we can discuss. Basically it comes down to testing. I don't know if it's as easy as changing the targetSdkVersion in our build script, or if I have to do code updates to the engine to support. Also, Chartboost is locked to API 26, so we might have to do a special build that removes that (or see if they have an update).

Ok, I'm going to write to google and ask them if will accept API 26

Also, we'd have to do some research on the Chromebook thing, no idea. But that would definitely be development and not a simple fix.

OK

@Twayne2 said:
    How did you even get them to reply to you? Where did you go? I submitted to indie corner and nothing. :open_mouth:

I'm friends with John Google! hahaha!
    No, seriously, I did not do anything special, I guess you should depend on the game and have a bit of luck too? Anyway I have to solve these aspects before :persevere:

Did you submit to indie corner or where?

• hybridhybrid Member Posts: 183

stop everything and help this man!

i think is 1 in a million opportunity and hope it can be solved for you!
    also it gives hope and show us gamesalad is fully capable of making any game you want and that game can be rewarded and appreciated.

i don't know if this happened before, maybe if someone in the gs community had his game featured before, any input may be helpful.

Thanks @hybrid I'm still waiting, honestly with some anxiety ... I hope it's not too late for Google :neutral:

edited September 2018

I would live to see a GS game featured in Google Play. Where did you sumbit yours to @CasualEvolution? That indie form or...? Teach us your ways haha. :grin:

Hi @Twayne2 I submitted to indie corner nothing more ... but now I have news from Amazon, I will open another post with this :wink:

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,034

Okay... you are now able to toggle WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE (and pretty much all but one permission I need to make sure is optional).

• VertikVertik Member Posts: 1