Lightsaber Combat Testing Help

Hello, everyone!

I've been challenging myself to create a challenging, fair, and realistic-looking lightsaber combat game for Star Wars fans.
I wanted it to have really simple controls, and have the combat look as much like the movies as possible.
This what I have so far:

However, before I get too deep into production, I wanted to create an extremely bare-bones version and get it tested by the GS community for flaws and/or things that could be improved upon. I've uploaded it here in the attached file if any of you are interested in helping me test it.
If you do, please remember to let me know you tested it so that I can include you in the credits as a tester when and if the game comes out.

Regardless, thanks for reading, and good luck on your endeavors with GS!

Oh and it's mac only right now. -__- Still no .exe publishing support on GS. The game will be for iOS when and if it comes out.

Comments

• Cutscene EntertainmentCutscene Entertainment Member, PRO Posts: 138

Oh and by the way... if you get an error saying something about "unidentified developer", just right click on the application and then select "open" from the dropdown menu as opposed to opening the application regularly.

• Twayne2Twayne2 Member Posts: 458
    edited September 2018

Looks really, really good. Did you use the animate behavior for that? (I mean, most of it. Not the health bar, etc.) I will see if I can try it out soon! Hope so. :grin:
    Btw, look at that smiley. This forum has quite a few I have been fortunate to find out.

edited September 2018

21.3 mbs, that is interesting. :)

@Twayne2 said:
    Looks really, really good. Did you use the animate behavior for that? (I mean, most of it. Not the health bar, etc.) I will see if I can try it out soon! Hope so. :grin:
    Btw, look at that smiley. This forum has quite a few I have been fortunate to find out. :trollface:

Thanks, Twayne! And yes, the sabers are fully animated with the animate behaviour (in pieces that change depending on where the enemy hit is coming from, etc.).
    And I definitely have not seen that smiley and I'm kinda happy most people haven't. ;) It would be a shame if it were to fall into the wrong hands.

@Twayne2 said:
    21.3 mbs, that is interesting. :)

Yes. It is interesting.

Which smiley?

@Twayne2 said:
    Which smiley?

I was talking about the second one. I wouldn't want it to restart an unnecessary epidemic.

edited September 2018

I deleted mine. :grin:

• CasualEvolutionCasualEvolution Member, PRO Posts: 523

@Cutscene Entertainment wow!
    How you do that!?!?! :open_mouth:
    These are prerender images? these are 3D?

Sorry, but doubt kills me! :)

Thanks

edited September 2018

@CasualEvolution said:

Thanks

These are gifs taken straight from the game. You can download it for free right there in the link. ^^

The sabers’ offensive and defensive moves are animated in sections, controlled by randomized algorithms that vary based on the movements of the other player.

It’s all in the timing I suppose. Thanks for asking.

@CasualEvolution said:

Thanks

By the way, SOS defense is extremely impressive. Well done and congratulations on seeing it through to the end. Not many people can do that, even with help.

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069

Looks really slick, love it.

Follow us: Twitter - Website

@AlchimiaStudios said:
    Looks really slick, love it.

Thanks!

• rainwaterstudiosrainwaterstudios Member Posts: 198

Awesome! I'm impressed. The tutorial is a great idea, the gameplay was smooth and I didn't notice any problems or glitches. I'd be interested in seeing how you set up the collision shapes. Do you have an interface planned out yet?

@rainwaterstudios said:
    Awesome! I'm impressed. The tutorial is a great idea, the gameplay was smooth and I didn't notice any problems or glitches. I'd be interested in seeing how you set up the collision shapes. Do you have an interface planned out yet?

Thank you so much for the feedback, Rainwater Studios. I'm really glad that it worked out for you in a smooth manner.
    As for the collision shapes, I actually set them up roughly like this:

I needed them to have the ability to naturally slip off the cliff while still keeping a little over a saber's distance away from the enemy. And the asymmetrical nature of these collision shapes didn't matter since these actors have fixed rotation enabled.

For the interface I don't have a real plan yet. Perhaps tapping in the top half of the screen is attack, while the bottom half is defend. But that's off the top of my head. I just needed to put this bare-boes module through a decent amount of community testing and get some feedback on whether or not it was FUN or WORKING on a basic level before continuing on to UI design.

Thanks again. Unless you deem otherwise, R a i n w a t e r S t u d i o s ™ will be listed in the credits as a tester when and if the game comes out.

• CasualEvolutionCasualEvolution Member, PRO Posts: 523

@Cutscene Entertainment said:

@CasualEvolution said:

Thanks

By the way, SOS defense is extremely impressive. Well done and congratulations on seeing it through to the end. Not many people can do that, even with help.

Thanks! :)

• alvajamesalvajames Member Posts: 1

It is a very nice lightsaber combat game. I would say you should add more different lightsaber colors to the lightsabers so that it will become more fascinating and insteresting specifically for Star Wars fans. However, it is looking great.

• jesseherbertjesseherbert Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2023

Yeah I totally agree with you they should add replica and rgb lightsabers in this lightsaber combat games to get more recognition from the star wars community. This game deserves to be trending.

• smurftedsmurfted Member, PRO Posts: 570

How did this end up?

• jorgesmith5jorgesmith5 Member Posts: 1

That's Interesting. You should add RGB lightsaber as well in this lightsaber combat. I love RGB saber and I bought it recently.

https://rxsabers.com/collections/rgb-sabers