Global Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) & You

Comments

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,327

@adent42 said:
    It might be a combination of fill rate and timing. Because Revmob did not do anything for GDPR, we have it completely turned off until we see a 1.
    Call 1 - Set to -1 - First request. Revmob off. No ad.
    Call 2 - Set to 1 - Revmob turns on, starts caching ad. No ad displayed.
    Call 3 - Still at 1 - Revmob ad is cached, display ad.

If the ad hasn't finished caching before Call 3, then no ad is shown. Give it a few more tries. If you still have problems, PM me a link to the APK (and I'll see if the debug logs tell me anything).

This is perhaps a slightly odd use case. The game only has rewarded ads. The player either watches one or doesn't. So we're putting a message informing the player that by clicking "Watch" they consent, and by clicking "Don't watch" they don't consent. The game starts with -1, so the privacy message gets shown. When they dismiss the message, it gets set to 1. They'll not see an ad unless they click on watch, which is them consenting, so there seemed little reason to faff with the attribute futher.

I tried multiple times, but didn't get an ad any.

So what's in the projects is a reward ad system that was previously working, with a layer on top giving the privacy info, which when tapped sets the attribute from -1 to 1. It's saved, and stays at 1 forever. It sounds from what you've said about caching ads that I'll need to have "Don't watch" set it to 0 and save in order to be compliant, but that shouldn't be affecting the ads.

Entirely possible my attempt to slap the minimum possible on top of the old, working logic is causing a problem.

iOS for these projects. I'll PM you some links.

• vafurlogivafurlogi Member, PRO Posts: 203
    edited May 2018

@adent42 said:
    FYI Android RC build has an issue with loading images, we're looking into it.

Tried the RC for Android with a new app and an older app. Looks fine at first glance but all .m4a music files stopped working (have been working since original release 2014 and newer 2018). The ogg sounds files all play fine. Sound were originally imported as m4a and ogg. The music plays fine in the creator, just not the published apk. Published with .92 version.

Am I the only one getting this?

• indra.azizindra.aziz Member, PRO Posts: 100

@adent42 said:
    FYI Android RC build has an issue with loading images, we're looking into it.

I tried android with RC but the app wont play music, other sounds can play with no problem. Tried twice but still can't play music. Please check also.

• boolsisboolsis Member, PRO Posts: 29

Unsure if it's related, but I have music that plays on iOS but not on Android. The only thing I could think of was the new "Build RC" option. Unfortunately, I don't have a pre-"Build RC" APK to test with...but thought I'd drop a note in case anyone else saw similar issues or if it was worth looking into.

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,034
    edited May 2018

All, I think I found the music problem, or at the very least I got music playing in my test. I'll be running the build and should have an update ready tonight. It also have a fix for low memory situations that would cause stuff to just stop working.

There's also a surprise in the build, but I'll announce it once we're done testing.

• 8BitAvrin8BitAvrin Member, PRO Posts: 368

Hmmmm a surprise too. Thanks for the hard work on all this!

WebsiteTwitter ∞ My apps are available on: Apple iOS App StoreGoogle Play App StoreAmazon App Store

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069

A surprise eh? Is it android expansion file support?

I know its unlikely but one can hope.

Follow us: Twitter - Website

• gizzi93gizzi93 Member, PRO Posts: 67

@AlchimiaStudios said:
    A surprise eh? Is it android expansion file support?

I know its unlikely but one can hope.

No no, it's ad mediation.....I hope.

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,034

Okay, new build is ready in RC. We fixed an issue with IAP enabled games and music (at least when I tested locally, I'm about to run some test publishes now).

Surprise probably won't be ready until sometime next week since I need to do some publishing site updates to support it.

• vafurlogivafurlogi Member, PRO Posts: 203

@adent42 said:
    Okay, new build is ready in RC. We fixed an issue with IAP enabled games and music (at least when I tested locally, I'm about to run some test publishes now).

Surprise probably won't be ready until sometime next week since I need to do some publishing site updates to support it.

I just now re-generated one of my older apps that was missing music yesterday, sadly it's still not working.

edited May 2018

Chartboost ads are not showing with the RC or regular build now. I have added the 'privateDataConsentForAds' attribute and set it to 1 but ads don't show up. My Chartboost dashboard shows installs but no impressions for the app. Any ideas @adent42 ?

@gizzi93 try putting it in test mode (takes about an half an hour to take effect). this should guarantee you ads and you can see if it's a delivery problem or an app problem. I've been dealing with the sound issue and qa has been busy on another project, so we haven't had a chance to retest ads yet.

We'll have the results of ad re-testing later tonight. The "surprise" also involved a bit of refactor of the ad networks too, so I'll need to verify that everything worked.

FYI, I figured out the music issue, so if you hit republish, music should work fine now.

@adent42 nothing showing up in test mode as well. Chartboost dashboard shows installs, bootups and uniques fine, but impressions are 0.

@gizzi93 PM me which project has the problem. Thanks.

• JapsterJapster Member Posts: 672
    edited June 2018

If it helps, I've just rebuilt around 1:30am this morning, and although mine's showing Chartboost ads, I am getting way more failed requests than my previous build...

As you say though @adent42 - it might just be the networks, but it was filling ads every time for me on the previous RC...

• freneticzfreneticz SwedenMember, PRO Posts: 774

About to submit a game to Apple, should i check yes or no on IDFA (advertising identifier)
    now...... i suppose i should pick no but not sure @adent42

@Japster which type of ads? So the main difference is that before for Interstitials we were blindly requesting ads. Now we pre-cache and only show if the pre-cache request is successful which is their recommended way. This is how we've always done reward ads.

So if you're showing less fill for interstitials, I can see about returning to the "old" way.

• themysticgraphicthemysticgraphic Member, PRO Posts: 8

I published with BuildRC and after submitting to Google Play store my apps say this: This app is incompatible with all of your devices.

FYI. So I think I've found why Chartboost has so few ads, but I'm tracking down another bug, hoping for another RC tonight or tomorrow morning.

@themysticgraphic The app is now set to API 26 with a minimum of 16. I'll see if I can push the lower end any lower, but it's a restriction based on ad networks we're using. That might affect the compatibility statement.

• themysticgraphicthemysticgraphic Member, PRO Posts: 8

@adent42 LOOKS good. The latest BuildRC came out great. I'm on the Google Play Store! Thank you so much!

Okay... new build up.

Chartboost should trigger more consistently.
    Surprise remove temporarily to make build smaller, more streamlined.

Cheers!

• RedRoboRedRobo Member, PRO Posts: 680

@adent42

Please could you or someone else from GameSalad answer the following question. I am looking for absolute clarity as I'm about to re-write my privacy policy document prior to publishing my updated apps.

Can you confirm that GameSalad itself no longer collects any personal data about my users through my apps?

Many thanks.

edited June 2018

@adent42 said:
    Okay... new build up.

Cheers!

Phew! - REALLY appreciate the quick turnaround @adent42 - thanks! - My expected release date was yesterday, so this is great - will upload a new build, and hope that Apple approves it asap!

Out of interest, did you fix the new way you were trying regarding caching, or did you have to revert to the old way? - Cheers!

Ps - I'm still intrigued about the surprise - if it IS some form of automated/integrated mediation functionality, it couldn't come soon enough, as I have to get my head around RevMob, Admob Mediation and/or Chartboost, so if it's simpler than that, please feel free to bring it forward!... :wink:

Thanks again!

PPS - For the first time ever, I was testing Courier Chaos, and got a call in the middle of it. as soon as the call ended, the game resumed PERFECTLY from where it left off, BUT, missing ALL sounds... Music still played fine, but no sounds. Not even exiting to the title screen helped. Only restarting the app... :frowning: Do we have a workaround for this, as I can see it being brought up as an issue, and potentially affecting ratings?... :frowning:

EDIT - My brother called back, and yup, it happened again... seems consistent, unfortunately...

• freneticzfreneticz SwedenMember, PRO Posts: 774

@freneticz said:
    About to submit a game to Apple, should i check yes or no on IDFA (advertising identifier)
    now...... i suppose i should pick no but not sure @adent42

I picked NO and it was ok

@adent42 said:
    Okay... new build up.

Cheers!

Tried the new build - Chartboost does indeed seem to be more hit than miss, again... Cheers!

Republish if you did an android build last night. I forgot a config update that ensures music works.

Were pretty much at the "this release is Good Enough" phase of RC evaluation. Unless any of you come up with new major bugs, we're going to be releasing the RC as the default build today or early tomorrow.

There are some know minor issues, but we'll be doing patch releases as we go. For now, the build is largely stable and in the "better than what we already have" state, as far as we know. Since I did a release on Saturday morning after our testing team started their weekend, we'll be doing more extensive testing today!

I'd like to thank you all for your patience during all this. After the release, we'll be taking a break from the engine work. Most of the team will be working on some education stuff that's been back-burnered this whole time and the rest will be picking up the Mac Creator bugs. Hopefully we'll have a fix for the Creator stuff soon. Until then, there will be much shaking fist at the Apple gods for changing how core APIs work on us.

Cheers!

• DigiChainDigiChain Member, PRO Posts: 1,277

@adent42 Great to hear, thanks for all the work put into this!
    Can you let us know what the minor issues are when you do put out the release so we know what to expect.

@adent42 said:
    Were pretty much at the "this release is Good Enough" phase of RC evaluation. Unless any of you come up with new major bugs, we're going to be releasing the RC as the default build today or early tomorrow.

There are some know minor issues, but we'll be doing patch releases as we go. For now, the build is largely stable and in the "better than what we already have" state, as far as we know. Since I did a release on Saturday morning after our testing team started their weekend, we'll be doing more extensive testing today!

I'd like to thank you all for your patience during all this. After the release, we'll be taking a break from the engine work. Most of the team will be working on some education stuff that's been back-burnered this whole time and the rest will be picking up the Mac Creator bugs. Hopefully we'll have a fix for the Creator stuff soon. Until then, there will be much shaking fist at the Apple gods for changing how core APIs work on us.

Cheers!

Speaking for myself, I've now got my game pending release, and yep, ads seem to be working as expected again for both Chartboost and Admob, Gamecenter is working fine, and even some banner ads I added work perfectly, so I thank you from the bottom of my heart @adent42 - I still couldn't get my GPRD stuff working as expected though, for will have a play, though in the meantime I might have to limit to UK release :frowning: and just use my existing checks and saves - i.e. user says NO, I only give them the option to exit and uninstall... not great, but an option nonetheless!