How?

eboyeboy Member Posts: 239
edited November -1 in Introductions
How are so many people gearing up so fast on GS? Are you just using the sample projects as guides? Are you programers?

I can get started on my game but there are areas where I feel a little lost...Any tips? The wiki is good but I wish there were some video tuts.....Anyone ever read Game Feel...its a book about game creation..I was wondering if it could help me out at bit....Thanks for any help.

Comments

• ktfrightktfright Member Posts: 964
    Honestly, I try not to use the templates as much unless it's something I want to mimick. It's also really just trial and error and making up concepts that are good. That chinko game I made a few days ago was easy and was a good concept. Just try to brainstorm alot of stuff and see what could and could not work. Hope the helped a bit.

Oh yeah, I'm not a programmer, but I got a B- in my java comp. Science class, but suck at math :(
  • eboyeboy Member Posts: 239
    cool, but what about he math involved...I am not a math guy...any tips on that....
  • ktfrightktfright Member Posts: 964
    Most of the games I made rarely used math other than for adding up points. You only need math if you really need it for something in your game.
    Ok, I am dipping my big toe in...thanks for your info
  • butterbeanbutterbean Member Posts: 4,315
    I'm an RN and have Zilch programming experience, but have been using this program for the last 5 months on and off, and becoming quite comfortable with it.
    With math equations I always hit up Codemonkey for help, and everyone in the forums is very helpful if you have questons.

It's all about using it, and getting comfortable with it, once you make a few template games of your own, you'll start to get the hang of it, but people expecting to jump right in and create games without running into a few bumps or even more each way will only be disappointed :)

Good luck! I just made a kids game over the weekend without asking for much help, and was mostly logic, and some math, not bad!

Hoping to finish it up this weekend, and check for bugs and have it submitted soon!
    cool, thanks for your advice....:)
  • CorellaCorella Member Posts: 37
    Pretty much the same with me here.
    I'm really just a hobbyist computer graphics artist, no programing experience, and taking a few generic math classes, nothing advanced.

I always begin a new game with a blank project, and never use the templates... although when I started out it they were very useful to tear apart and have a look at how they worked.

Working through the beginner video on how to make the template space shooter was also very beneficial <-- highly recommended.

I find once of the many nice things about GameSalad is that it scales really well from making a basic game very easily, then build up to more complicated projects as the know-how increases with experience.

Just have fun and enjoy it, good luck!