New and want to start to make iphone games

TyvanTyvan Member Posts: 29
edited November -1 in Tech Support
I have never used a mac in my life but want to try my luck at making some iphone games. Would any used old make work or do I need an updated mac?

I see I can grab a Powermac G3 for around $200. Would this work?

I just hate to shell out $1000+ bucks for something I might not be able to do...Create games with game salad.

Thanks for any info on this!

Comments

• BarkBarkCoBarkBarkCo Member Posts: 1,400
    It has to be an intel mac and probably has to be capable of running snow leopard too.
  • synthesissynthesis Member Posts: 1,693
    Get a mac mini - only $500 and runs GameSalad just fine.
  • UtopianGamesUtopianGames Member Posts: 5,692
    Until 6 months ago i didn't even know what a Mac looked like (no joke) :)

I would start with a small simple game while your learning (like i did with ghost bash) then build up slowly and slowly to bigger and better games.

I got a 2nd hand imac 27" from ebay for £500 under 1 year old so there are bargains out there.

Darren.
  • AfterBurnettAfterBurnett Member Posts: 3,474
    I bought an intel Mac mini core solo with 2gb ram on eBay for 400 Australian dollars (around 150 pounds/300 us dollars). It's what I use now and it's great!

Whatever you get, it MUST be an intel Mac. GS won't run on PowerPC hardware.
  • danlbryantdanlbryant Member Posts: 236
    I use a Core 2 Duo MacBook, it's 3 years old, runs snow leopard nice. Although gamesalad is pretty slow on it.
  • TyvanTyvan Member Posts: 29
    Thanks guys!
  • jessicaleahyjessicaleahy Member Posts: 144
    hi guys.. What is the best mac spec I could get that would be great to make games?:)
  • StusAppsStusApps Member, PRO Posts: 1,352
    jessicaleahy said:
    hi guys.. What is the best mac spec I could get that would be great to make games?:)

Spec is not too important for using GS. Any current mac or macbook will run it well. The concern for doing graphics and if you are creating ipad games is having enough screen to work on. I was talking my brother through some things on GS the other night on his macbook and 1280x800 is quite a small space to work on, you can't even view the whole ipad screen when working in the editor.

If you aren't bothered about portability I would recommend any iMac from current back to late 2008, 20" or higher. If you have a reasonable sized monitor already then I would pick up the mac mini, again anything from the last couple of years will be fine for GS. If you want portability then I'd only do this on a macbook or pro 13" with an external monitor connected. Otherwise the 15" hi-res is good.

Depends on your budget really. Cheapest option = mac mini. Best value option would be a 24" previous gen iMac. Best overall for me would be a nice new 27" iMac.
    Hi StusApps, thanks for those tips. I think i will go with your advice for the 27" iMac. Where do you think I could buy one that offers a great price?:)
  • StusAppsStusApps Member, PRO Posts: 1,352
    jessicaleahy said:
    Hi StusApps, thanks for those tips. I think i will go with your advice for the 27" iMac. Where do you think I could buy one that offers a great price?:)

Best price would be an apple refurbished. The quad core i5 or i7 are not badly priced on the refurb store here. They are like brand new and come with a warranty. If you are a student/teacher then the education price through apple is pretty good too.
    Wow! that's great news and I like the part the it comes with a warranty. Thanks a lot for the tip. :)