Keeping Progress Data

Is there a way to keep progress data even through updates? I wouldn't want any published updates I make to make users lose their data so how would I prevent that?

Comments

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

I'm pretty sure saved attributes are not written over when an app is updated ?

Hopefully someone with a little more insight into this kind of thing will chime in.

• zweg25zweg25 Member Posts: 738

@Socks is right, they stay saved

• fmakawafmakawa Member Posts: 565

Great! @zweg25 And tables?

• ToqueToque Member Posts: 1,187

@fmakawa said:

There's a save attribute /load.

Is there a save table/ load behavior? Not at my computer to check.

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@Toque said:

@fmakawa said:

There's a save attribute /load.

Is there a save table/ load behavior? Not at my computer to check.

@Socks I was wondering if saving tables like saving attributes means they dont get overwritten when updated. I suppose they do then. Thanks yall.

• zweg25zweg25 Member Posts: 738

I believe the save table attribute rolls over into update versions as well

• BigDaveBigDave Member Posts: 2,239
    edited November 2016

they do aslong you dont add new cells in tables were players already have saved versions of on their devices. So make in advance enough cells in tables you "save"

i only use tables to save data. So I can always decide to upgrade to save on a server (appformative)

• KevinCrossKevinCross London, UKMember Posts: 1,894

@BigDave said:
    they do aslong you dont add new cells in tables were players already have saved versions of on their devices. So make in advance enough cells in tables you "save"

i only use tables to save data. So I can always decide to upgrade to save on a server (appformative)

Yeah I'd recommend making quite a few blank columns of each type if you think you might need more columns at a later date. I throw in 2 or 3 blank columns of each type i.e. text, integer, boolean etc. While I've not experienced the loss of data due to updating tables I've read about it on the forums to not risk it (not that I really publish games)

@BigDave @KevinCross So If I make extra columns of each type and then eventually add data into them several versions later will that not overwrite the contents of the table of the saved version on the device?

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,052

Two suggestions.

Table Migration

When updating your game and adding columns to a table:

• Make a new table with the new columns.
    • Change your games to use the new table.
    • Make an actor whose job is to copy data from the old table to the new one when the game starts. Maybe make a special "upgrading" scene.

Online Storage

• Store table data online.
    • Version your games in an attribute and make sure to send that version with the Load Table From Network request.
    • Your server code should return the correct table for the game version.