State of GameSalad 8-25-2016

Comments

• fmakawafmakawa Member Posts: 565

@RossmanBrothersGames said:
    thanks @ForumNinja ! sounds like a cool build. Honestly I think things like finishing the Reward Video Ad System (being able to check for a internet connection, or for if a video is ready) is much more important that the loading wheel (which my guess is doesn't bother most people though would be a nice change if it is simple to do). There are still some great features in game salad that have only been 80% percent completed!

Reward Ads
    Steam
    HTML 5
    Controller Support (Mifi)

Any support that can be put towards developer needs I think should go straight to stuff like that.

All that stuff is going to make our games more competitive, and Gamesalad more competitive. Honestly, if people could make games for steam AND mobile with gamesalad I think you guys would be blowing up with costumers. Especially after some of the high quality gamesalad games got put on steam.

+1

@ForumNinja still no snap to grid?

Custom colours for Fonts in Windows Version (available in Mac but not Windows). Its crucial for the use of Custom Fonts. I've done a feature request for it before.

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,334

@jonmulcahy said:
    You could use the network send/receive behaviors to cobble together a check for an Internet connection.

Or try to fill the purchase table.

• ForumNinjaForumNinja Key Master, Head Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 554

@fmakawa No snap-to-grid yet, though I'll add the color wheel to the list since it may be a quick fix.

@Socks That's definitely a quick fix. Added to the list.

@KevinCross I would hope that's a quick fix. Added to the list.

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069
    edited August 2016

@RossmanBrothersGames said:
    Reward Ads
    Steam
    HTML 5
    Controller Support (Mifi)

All that stuff is going to make our games more competitive, and Gamesalad more competitive. Honestly, if people could make games for steam AND mobile with gamesalad I think you guys would be blowing up with costumers. Especially after some of the high quality gamesalad games got put on steam.

@ForumNinja

+1

Quick fixes/changes are nice, but those are almost essentials. I think most developers could agree on at least one of those 4.

But if resources are tight, then i'd say 200% zoom on preview and searchable fields (actors and attributes) would be great.

Follow us: Twitter - Website

• MentalDonkeyGamesMentalDonkeyGames Member Posts: 1,276
    edited August 2016

@AlchimiaStudios said:
    searchable fields (actors and attributes) would be great.

Even better would be the ability to sort existing attributes, and folders for actors.

But any of these does not sound like a quick fix.

Mental Donkey Games
    Website - Facebook - Twitter

• vikingviking Member, PRO Posts: 322

Has the issues with slow opening and closing of heavy actors been addressed?

@viking said:
    Has the issues with slow opening and closing of heavy actors been addressed?

Yes, it's all near instant now. Was addressed a few builds ago, and is even better in the next build due.

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@ForumNinja said:

Excellent ! It'd be great if gets included ! :)

Another possible Quick Fix™ (?) . . . .

It would be cool if we could close the Expressions window with 'Return', at the moment it only accepts 'Enter' . . . . with most software 'Return' and 'Enter' are used interchangeably, they work identically, but with GS's Expressions window 'Enter' closes it, while 'Return' is ignored.

The issue is that Macs come with the Wireless Keyboard as standard (the extended keyboard is optional), and the Wireless Keyboard hasn't got an 'Enter' key.

There are workarounds, you can of course - after using the keyboard to enter your expression - move to the mouse and mouse to the green tick mark and click it, you can use keyboard shortcuts to temporarily switch the Return key to an Enter key, you can also hit Cmd+A (select all the contents of the expression) and then hit Return (selecting the expression - strangely - allows Return to work ?).

Anyhow, a small issue admittedly, but one that adds up if you are opening and closing a lot of expression windows, it would be cool just to be able to hit the Return key without all the other stuff.

@Armelline 1.25.62 is super quick for my heavy actors, but 1.25.66 was back to being slow. That's why I was wondering.

I would love, more than anything, to have a window in in the attribute browser where I could enter the first few letters of the name of the attribute that I am looking for and it would jump down to that highlighted attribute.

My latest game has over 220 game attributes, so it is very slow to scroll through all of them to search for the one I need. Anyone else?

• MentalDonkeyGamesMentalDonkeyGames Member Posts: 1,276

@Socks said:

Another possible Quick Fix™ (?) . . . .

It would be cool if we could close the Expressions window with 'Return', at the moment it only accepts 'Enter' . . . . with most software 'Return' and 'Enter' are used interchangeably, they work identically, but with GS's Expressions window 'Enter' closes it, while 'Return' is ignored.

There are workarounds, you can of course - after using the keyboard to enter your expression - move to the mouse and mouse to the green tick mark and click it, you can use keyboard shortcuts to temporarily switch the Return key to an Enter key, you can also hit Cmd+A (select all the contents of the expression) and then hit Return (selecting the expression - strangely - allows Return to work ?).

Anyhow, a small issue admittedly, but one that adds up if you are opening and closing a lot of expression windows, it would be cool just to be able to hit the Return key without all the other stuff.

This would be great!

Weird thing i´ve noticed about closing the expression editor. If the last thing in the expression is an attribute, the return key closes the expression editor. If there´s a letter or a special character at the end, it doesn´t.

Mental Donkey Games
    Website - Facebook - Twitter

• CasualEvolutionCasualEvolution Member Posts: 525

Hi @ForumNinja

Quick fixes:
    1- in GS Viewer, remember the selected option: stretch, overscan, letterbox
    2- in GS viewer, orientation works as programmed

I don't know if that will be quick and possible, but I think that may be have great impact in scene loading times:
    forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/92973/fast-scene-change-no-preload-spawn-objects#latest

Thanks,
    Roque

edited August 2016

@Socks said:

Return does actually close the Expression Editor... under very narrow circumstances. So narrow I've never pinned down exactly what they are :D (But @MentalDonkeyGames might well have!)

@viking 1.25.61 is the latest version, and that's super quick. The latest beta (1.25.69) is also super quick (but has other bugs). I'd suggest using the latest stable.

@Armelline said:
    Return does actually close the Expression Editor... under very narrow circumstances. So narrow I've never pinned down exactly what they are :D (But @MentalDonkeyGames might well have!)

I'm pretty sure it's Tuesdays.

@CasualEvolution said:
    Hi @ForumNinja

Quick fixes:
    1- in GS Viewer, remember the selected option: stretch, overscan, letterbox
    2- in GS viewer, orientation works as programmed

Yeah, I want the old working Viewer back, I don't like the new broken one as much :smile:

@MentalDonkeyGames said:
    Weird thing i've noticed about closing the expression editor. If the last thing in the expression is an attribute, the return key closes the expression editor. If there's a letter or a special character at the end, it doesn't.

Yeah, it's always been a little mysterious !

edited August 2016

@ForumNinja

Haven't got a clue whether this is a Quick Fix, I can't imagine it is, but I'll throw it out there anyhow . . .

The Cut and Paste functionality in the Expression window is a one-use deal ! :| It would be great if it worked as it works elsewhere in the software world, where you can cut/copy something and then paste it as many times as you like, but with GS even within an actor you can only paste once, pasting something seems to remove it from the clipboard.

I'll often find myself wanting to copy an expression from one expression window to several others (in fact I was doing it this afternoon), at the moment you have to copy, paste your first copy, then re-copy it, paste it, then re-copy it . . . and so on, ideally you could just copy then open all your other expressions in that actor and go paste, paste, paste . . .

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069

Oh what about extending the expression editor to be multi-line? Don't know if it's a quick fix, but it would be nice. Anyway, just a thought.

Follow us: Twitter - Website

• RedRoboRedRobo Member, PRO Posts: 682

@ForumNinja
    Appreciate the update...thank you.

Quick fix?:
    Ability for player to take a screenshot and post to social media.

@ForumNinja, basically, overhaul the attribute picker and expression editor :D

• freneticzfreneticz SwedenMember, PRO Posts: 774

But first fix the stutter/slowdowns & misalign
    @ForumNinja

• ToqueToque Member Posts: 1,187

Search for actors.
    Type the name and it automatically scrolls to that actor in the actors tab.

@freneticz said:
    But first fix the stutter/slowdowns & misalign
    @ForumNinja

Submit an example project to them by attaching it to the stutter bug, if you haven't already. That'll help them pin down the problem.

• xJadonxxJadonx Member, PRO Posts: 46
    edited August 2016

Reading through this, "add this" "add that", I do understand the perspective of GS trying to handle all these feature requests and adding/fixing things one by one and being bombarded by feature after feature after fix after fix, I am just finally thankful there's a hope/new step forward in more consistent communication.

I hope my previous thread put a notice in regards to... everything. (Especially the marketing section). Although I feel a bit bad for being on the "Add this and that" list, I'm just glad there's finally stuff being done (at least being told there is). And thank you @ForumNinja for adding the loading wheel xD

edited August 2016

@ForumNinja said:
    @fmakawa No snap-to-grid yet, though I'll add the color wheel to the list since it may be a quick fix.

@KevinCross I would hope that's a quick fix. Added to the list.

@ForumNinja

Damn ! I forgot to mention, as well as a 200% shortcut (which is excellent for checking out all those pixel perfect / Retina blurriness / alignment / quality issues) . . . a 150% shortcut would be really useful too, because on standard (non-Retina) iMacs you can't fit a whole 200% landscape iPad preview onscreen, 150% would give you a 1536 x 1152 px preview, which although not useful for quality checking (interpolation!) it's good to be able to use a high quality zoom (rather than zooming in on the pixels with the built in OS X zoom).

(I feel like a greedy child always adding something extra to his Christmas list !).

a pet rock please.

• IceboxIcebox Member Posts: 1,485

Dragging more than one actor or multiple select would be nice if possible , layer locking or layer visibility option would be good too. :)

• KevinCrossKevinCross London, UKMember Posts: 1,894

@Socks said:
    a 150% shortcut would be really useful too, because on standard (non-Retina) iMacs you can't fit a whole 200% landscape iPad preview onscreen

I can't even fit a 100% iPad scene on my old MacBook Pro :(