Saving and loading high score

Are Skarstein KolbergAre Skarstein Kolberg Member, PRO Posts: 11

I've already posted this in "Working with GS", but I really need some fast feedback on this issue. No spamming intended... So, I have a problem with a game I'm making. It's an endless runner with a timer in one corner, I have "coded" it this way": "Display text-->game.score" (I have integers for score and high score). Further I have put in a timer function, adding 1 to score for each sec (change attribute-->"game.score+1"). When the game ends the scene shifts to a "game over screen" displaying the score. In the score bar I have put in: "display text-->game.score", then a rule: when attribute game.score is higher than game.highscore, change attribute game.highscore to game.score", and save attribute "game.highscore", key: "game.highscore". On the first screen I want to display the highscore, I have put in "display text: game.highscore" and "load attribute: "game.highscore", key: "game highscore". I saw this on youtube, but I can't get it to work. The high score display box in the initial screen just says "0", nothing happens, as if the score isn't being saved..? I want it to load the highest score, and to update when a new high score is achieved. Any ideas?

Comments

• mhedgesmhedges Raised on VCS Member Posts: 634

Why not use a table?

Create a table and call it HighScoreTable. 1 row, 1 column.

To load the high score from the table, preferably before gameplay starts, do something like:

Change Attribute game.HighScore to tableCellValue(HighScoreTable,1,1)

Then at Game Over compare score to high score and proceed accordingly:

When game.Score > game.HighScore 
    Change Attribute Game.HighScore to game.Score

Update the table:

Change Table Value HighScoreTable Row 1 Table 1 to game.HighScore

Then save it:

Save Table HighScoreTable

• Are Skarstein KolbergAre Skarstein Kolberg Member, PRO Posts: 11

Thanks, but still can't get it right. I did make a table, and did as you suggested (I'm not quite sure what you meant). Still nothing.

edited June 2016

Look at this demo file. It has a table, actors, attributes and behaviors. Study the relationship among all times carefully.

• Are Skarstein KolbergAre Skarstein Kolberg Member, PRO Posts: 11

Thanks, I've checked it. I did copy some of the attributes (not copy as in copy paste), still doesn't work. Do I have to make a separate "event handler", like in the demo, or can I put all behaviours in the counter actor? I've done that anyway.