HI! 14 yrs old and wanna be Indie game developer need advice!

I am just a 14 year old who want to become an indie game developer ( like Notch!) I tried Unity 3d because everything 3d is really cool but it was too complex for me even after my dad teaching me! But it not really programming but the other parts of it such as sculpting creating scenes and .I decided to go to gamemaker studio which i found a lot easier and better to understand but since my dad didn't know gml i self taught myself and in around 2 weeks I started making an rpg for fun :smiley: . I think that rpgs are really long and this ones probably gonna take ages. I really liked mobile games as well so i thought why not go to Gamesalad as its made for ios and androids mostly. I am still a newb and i really need some advice on the sound editing and graphics part of making a game so what softwares you use and etc. I am not planning to make games like quake or fps and i am not publishing as i am too young for that unless my dad wanted to :smiley: . I just wanna make some simple games my friends could have a laugh over but nevertheless i still want to impress them :wink:

Comments

• IceboxIcebox Member Posts: 1,485
    edited April 2016

@pranshudhungana21 Hey and welcome to gamesalad , You will find gamesalad interesting and fun to work with , since you know your way through gml you would probably have no problems with gamesalad cause its easier . You can look for any software for graphics many use adobe illustrator , or adobe photoshop , adobe flash , inkscape etc. Only difference here is you will be dealing with png images instead of sprites. Look through tutorials on youtube and soon you will be able to create the game you want , Goodluck ! :)

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922
    edited April 2016

Hello. check out http://learn.gamesalad.com there are some great and short tutorials there to get your feet wet.

• ADSentertainmentADSentertainment Member Posts: 397

Welcome to GameSalad! Having experience with GameMaker is a pretty good quality to have if you're gonna use this since they work similarly. It's also great that you're starting with something simple instead of jumping right into the hard stuff. Like what @Icebox and @Lost_Oasis_Games said, YouTube and learn.gamesalad.com will be great sources. You can also ask really any question relating to GameSalad on the forums (like if you don't know how to do something in the engine, or simply what you're doing now) and you usually get a speedy response from people on here (as you can see by the responses). Anyways, once again, welcome aboard, we hope you enjoy your stay! ;)

Having trouble with your game? Sounds like a personal problem.

• ThomasjosephThomasjoseph Member Posts: 4

Yeah I am also agree that learn.gamesalad.com is really a nice source for learning the things.

• quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188

No.1 tip - have fun.

If you're not having fun, you'll stop, right?

So yeah, have fun! And you'll learn lots while you're having fun. Which technically is the best way to learn!

QS =D

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• KevinCrossKevinCross London, UKMember Posts: 1,894

@pranshudhungana21 said:
    I just wanna make some simple games my friends could have a laugh over but nevertheless i still want to impress them :wink:

Definitely stick to simple fun games. I've started many large projects which would be better suited for a small team and lose motivation before completing. Far too often >.< The simple projects or prototypes you can knock up in a week or two are a lot more rewarding (even if they never make it to an app store).

Have fun and stick with GameSalad you'll pick it up in no time. People here have made some pretty impressive and professional looking games with the tool.

Good luck

• BigDaveBigDave Member Posts: 2,239
    edited April 2016

Something you can finish in 2 weeks including the whole learning process.
    It will look ugly and play !@#$%. But you did your first step.
    Than move on and try to do better.

Maybe in 6+ months you start making some money and can get a cheeseburger for it, if you do not give up before.

So you better have fun doing it beside the goal of becoming the next "Notch"

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772
  • 8bitninja8bitninja Member Posts: 367

Welcome to Gamesalad. Have fun, work hard and hopefully make some fun games.