kernel panic again and again....

hansohanso Member Posts: 23
edited November -1 in Tech Support
jesus, for some reason - gs is crashing and crashing and my not able to run it sometimes - just right now, if got about 4 kernel panics in a row - or sometimes its a k. panic sometimes the screen is just fading black and force me to restart manually. i´ve read about kernel panic in this board but comon, i dont have itunes opened ( yeah its really crashing with itunes opened...) and there is no other programm open.

i´m on a imac 24*

2,8ghz intel core 2 duo
mac osx 10.6.4
4 gb 667 MHz DDR2 sdram
ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro

i´ve never had any kernel panics before, and my mac is normally running very smoove and i´m a heavy user of photoshop, illustrator and after effects at the same time - without any problems yet ... any suggestions to fix it?

Comments

• reddotincreddotinc Member Posts: 653
    i have an iMac 27" i7.. same issues but only once in a while.. still not acceptable
  • StusAppsStusApps Member, PRO Posts: 1,352
    never had a kernal panic, occasional crashes usually connected with either saving or the preview viewer.
  • hansohanso Member Posts: 23
    it´s strange but the crashes just appearing when i try to view a shared project if just downloaded or sometimes when i test / play a game on safari.
  • hrsmediahrsmedia Member Posts: 522
    I have had quite a few crashes/freezes when I click preview. For me it seems to relate to how long GS has been open. Display text can sometimes affect this also.
    Now to be safe, before I preview I usually save, and close and reopen GS, bit tedious but better than restarting the mac if it crashes.

imac core 2 duo (cant remember speed)
    4gb ram
    ati card
  • SingleSparqSingleSparq Member Posts: 1,339
    I've had Kernel panics simply by starting a new scene, placing an actor on it and hitting preview. I avoid preview where possible.
  • design219design219 Member Posts: 2,273
    I had never had one until I updated to .8.9 and opened CodeMonkey's shared project "joystick demo." I could look at it and check actors, code, etc., but when I try to preview, it's an instant window shade of death.

I tried it many times with the same every time. I've not had that problem with any of my projects.

HOLY NOSE JOB!: Nesen Probe: Is this the single most unappealing game in the history of GameSalad? I can't seem to give it away! Anywhere. But if anyone want's to try it out, codes are still available! http://gamesalad.com/forums/topic.php?id=8097
  • BarkBarkCoBarkBarkCo Member Posts: 1,400
    The only KP's I have ever seen where when I was trying to get OSX running on my crackintosh... ;-)

With the crappy little MacBook (late 2009) I have now, no issues. I think the difference is in the graphics cards. Mine is nVidia.
  • JamesZeppelinJamesZeppelin Member Posts: 1,927
    Hanso, are you on a real Mac? I only ask because of the radeon.

Since GS is Mac only it doesn't fair well with non Mac componets as the developers would have no official need to support them.

EDIT sorry missed the main part where you said you have an iMac

Yes there are some posts about iMac problems

I'm not sure what the fix is but there are some posts
    ok ill check the board again - yepp i´m on an full mac osx on an imac :D i think the main problem is the preview thing - damn that sux, me as a gs. noob needs alot of previews to check how´s that stuff that i made working :) hope that the future updates of gs fix that problem! thank u all anyway :)
  • design219design219 Member Posts: 2,273
    Have you rebuilt permissions lately?
    oh good point, i´ll try that... right... it´s some long time ago.... :) thanks!