Different speeds on different iPhones

NexusGameStudioNexusGameStudio Member Posts: 265
edited November -1 in Tech Support
Well folks, as of the 30th here in Canada, I became an iPhone 4 owner, and dare I say how beautiful the machine is and how well it performs! As eager as I was to test out my game Gravonaut on it, I got my latest build running on it and it executes perfectly, no lag, super fast loads, 60 fps always, and the colors just pop out from the new retina display.

But here's something I noticed, when compared to my iPhone 3G (I ran the app on both at the same time, side by side) I noticed that my character seems to move slightly slower on the iPhone 4 where he moves much more quickly (and mind you not as silky smooth) on the iPhone 3G. Now I could bump up the speed to make the 3GS and 4 version of my game run at the intended speed that it ran at on my iPhone 3G, but then the 3G version of the game would run too fast.

Now, is there some sort of work around to get it running at the exact speeds across all models of iPhones? Too bad there is no option for "if on iPhone 4 - then apply this attribute" lol.

Comments

• rickdalrickdal Member Posts: 30
    Things animating on screen oftentimes look slower when they are running at a higher framerate. This is assuming that the game engine is interpolating stuff moving on the screen at lower framerates. Meaning that when the framerate is low, there will be larger distances traveled between frames (which tends to make it look faster) as opposed to higher frame rates where the distances traveled between frames is less.

I have done a fair amount of animation work in the past where working on the pc the game ran at a high framerate, but running the same game on a console was at a lower framerate. It made tweaking animation speed tricky...