The 15 day trial is dead. Long live the 15 day trial.

2»

Comments

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

This whole conversation reminds me of a wino who saw a sign outside of a diner which read:

$10 Steak Special - served with fries and salad.

He went inside and sat down in a booth. A cheery waitress approached and asked, "What would you like today, sir?"

"I have a question about the special. Does it cost extra for the fries and salad?"

"No sir, they're free," she replied with a smile.

"Great", he said with relief, "then just bring me the fries and salad."

Sound familiar? :joy:

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

@WildSnake said:
    Thanks!
    Very good first step in returning back to normal marketing of this great ( AND FUN! ) product.
    Now just return free basic version please and you'll be on top of my list again. ;)

That's no going to happen and shouldn't.

• http_gamesaladhttp_gamesalad Member Posts: 1,340

THANK YOU! finally.. this is something ive been saying

• ParkGamesParkGames Member, PRO Posts: 117

The 15 day trial is fair for new customers but what about those that have already paid for several years of pro. Those are now locked out of their own projects when their subscription ends. Would it not be fair to allow those that have paid for over 1 or 2 years of pro and have published games to be given the Basic level subscription?

@ParkGames said:
    The 15 day trial is fair for new customers but what about those that have already paid for several years of pro. Those are now locked out of their own projects when their subscription ends. Would it not be fair to allow those that have paid for over 1 or 2 years of pro and have published games to be given the Basic level subscription?

If you need to update a game you are selling, you can pay for one month and update them. Why would you bother updating games you are not making any money on? Why does one expect GS to fund, by proxy, your business?

• Mr. MartensMr. Martens Member Posts: 43

@Socks said:
    Perhaps not unlike someone buying a pad and a pencil,

But unlike the real world, digital files consume no resources so it is not really like a pad and pencil is it.

• colandercolander Member Posts: 1,610
    edited September 2015

@Mr. Martens said:

But unlike the real world, digital files consume no resources so it is not really like a pad and pencil is it.

I wouldn't say that, digital files are created and stored on a machine that did and does consume resources.

• HymloeHymloe Member Posts: 1,653

Great idea guys. Spot on.

• BazookaTimeBazookaTime Member Posts: 1,274

Just wanted to say that the new 15 day trial was enough for me to get interested in GS again, just subscribed.

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    edited October 2015

@Mr. Martens said:

Of course GameSalad takes resources to develop, maintain and grow, you are confusing distribution with manufacturing, it costs nothing to distribute a digital file, but the fact that a digitial file can be copied and distributed for free (or extremely cheaply) it then doesn't follow that the digital file was also free to manufacture.

I think the point of the analogy was missed, the mechanic being highlighted was a business model that relied on an end process that the majority of users didn't engage in.

Anything that takes Labor, aka a persons time, has an intrinsic value. This has been true since caveman days when they exchanged items they would spend time searching for. Why people expect others should produce items for them for free is a concept I can't get my head around. It's one thing for some to be generous and give away things, it's another to expect that.

• GnarlyGnarly canadaMember Posts: 840

@Socks said:

I think socks analogy is accurate. This is nothing new. We pay for many experiences that have no end product. Like learning guitar. You might never write a song but willing to pay for resources to learn to do so.

Aside:

I suspect also a lot of comments are from younger folk who don't understand true costs of business. The digital file is not the true cost.
    Employees salaries and benefits, computer equipment, space leasing, insurance, power, phone, cleaning services accounting and legal fees, license.....pen and paper.....
    They would chew up a million dollars like nothing.

I don't believe many non publishing users will want to pay for gamesalad. At least when it was free I could get the word out to dozens of people to try it. Maybe a few might go pro. Now the chances of that seem much less. Of course is up to gamesalad to try and figure out what will produce the most money for them. But I think there will be less buzz now that it is not free to use.

About the pencil and pad idea. My main rant always runs the same way. I don't believe that any real world analogy can be applied to software. Software is unlike any real world thing. Real world requires real resources to reproduce. Software is closer to a song or a poem. Do you mind if I memorize your poem and recite it to my girl? Of course I will give you credit but alas no money.

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,334
    edited October 2015

@Mr. Martens said:
    About the pencil and pad idea. My main rant always runs the same way. I don't believe that any real world analogy can be applied to software. Software is unlike any real world thing. Real world requires real resources to reproduce. Software is closer to a song or a poem. Do you mind if I memorize your poem and recite it to my girl? Of course I will give you credit but alas no money.

What on earth would GameSalad's incentive be to keep making the software? They may not require real world resources to transfer the software from them to you (other than all the real-world resources needed, such as servers), but they sure require real world resources to make the software. People and computers and coffee and chairs and desks and all the other things you might find in any software house. Not to mention the less tangible things like training and experience.

Or should all music and movies also be free? And all video games? By your logic they don't require any real resources to reproduce.

Software is more like a song, professionally recorded. Time, money and talent went into making it. Sure you can sing it to your girl, for free, but that's actually where your analogy breaks down, not where its point is proved. There isn't really an equivalent situation for software.

@Mr. Martens said:

It does cost them money to distribute. So no idea what your trying to say here???

@Mr. Martens said:
    I don't believe many non publishing users will want to pay for gamesalad. At least when it was free I could get the word out to dozens of people to try it. Maybe a few might go pro. Now the chances of that seem much less. Of course is up to gamesalad to try and figure out what will produce the most money for them. But I think there will be less buzz now that it is not free to use.

Try for free is a great idea!! GS should try that........ They did for 5 years and it was not profitable so have to try something else.....

Great Buzz doesn't pay the bills......

• Thunder_ChildThunder_Child Member Posts: 2,343
    edited October 2015

I will say again....I heard About GameSalad from a friend....He told me about the non coding aspects and so I decided...from the beginning without even using the free version to buy it. Having any time to evaulate is a bonus and should be helping many people decide if its a tool they want to use...and learn...in 15 days.

• purnapurna Member Posts: 1

How is this working for you? I'm put off even trying it out knowing that I've got to learn it in just 15 days. Free till point of publishing is a much more laid back and stressful free way to go. But hay ho - I'll give in a go. 15x30 mins in my lunch breaks = great new game!!

• JamesDJamesD Member, PRO Posts: 12

I'm just curious as to why I only had a few days (less than a week). I just figured it was kept short to prevent exposing issues and discouraging potential subscribers.