Mac Release 0.13.40 is available

2»

Comments

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

I was able to obtain this from the Department of Defense though..

• ChunkypixelsChunkypixels Member Posts: 1,114

@Lost_Oasis_Games ....Jade Helm, One World Order... asteroid hitting the earth over the next week...or is that a nuke about to go off on a secret sub off the coast of the US.

Its a big week for conspiracy theorists and end of the worlders....

Or maybe its just an online campaign to distract the world from asking about an updated GS roadmap.

Or maybe GS know something, and know that it just won't matter anymore after the coming apocalypse (sometime this week apparently)... :)

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,334

@GeorgeGS said:
    Between never unloading anything and running out of memory and what we have now.

The increase to load times happened before the memory fixes. Some time around 0.13.33. There was a build a while back that suddenly and without any noticeable reason added about 5 seconds to the loading time on one of my projects. This to a loading time that was already about 10 seconds longer than ideal :(

Glad to hear it'll all be looked into soon, though! But as I said - even at its best, the GameSalad loading times are too long. I really hope that when they're looked into it's not just to bring the increase back down, but to try to really find ways to significantly cut them down across the board!

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

Don't forget the blood moon either. Tinfoil hat on and basement filled with Doritos. I'm good to go!

• GeorgeGSGeorgeGS Member, PRO Posts: 478

@NimbleBug said:
    GeorgeGS i don't know why , no one is answering about new rendering system , is it stopped or coming soon ? because it was mentioned earlier that " The other main advantage to the new rendering system is speed "

The new rendering system is not ready at this time. We were using it for Windows preview for a bit but needed to roll back because of several issues.

• NimbleBugNimbleBug Member Posts: 483

@GeorgeGS Thanks for the info, i think it is waste of time everyone is asking questions and answering for that questions...waiting for reply...it is better if everyone knows what is happening and what is coming in next version..so many people are depend on You(GameSalad) and doing business,based on the engine capabilities developers(we) can plan and based to that we promise our clients what updates we can provide in feature . Because our clients are not like us , they need updates...so please consider this and re introduce the ROAD MAP ......
    Thanks

• dgackeydgackey Austin, TXInactive, PRO, Chef Emeritus Posts: 699

The Road Map for the remainder of 2015 looks like this:

• Bug Fixing
    • Fixing Bugs
    • Removing Software defects
    • Improving performance and stability of the product

Dan Magaha · COO · GameSalad, Inc · danm@gamesalad.com

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,273

@dgackey said:

• Bug Fixing
    • Fixing Bugs

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772

Bug Fixing
    Fixing Bugs
    Removing Software defects
    Improving performance and stability of the product

So will there be any squashing of bugs then?! ;)

Like this, but with less ties.

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

Loading Wheel
    @CodeWizard and @GeorgeGS

The slow loading problem is exacerbated by the fact that the Loading Wheel doesn't even show when you launch an app! Some users perceive that fact that nothing is going on means the app froze or crashed! My partner and three test users, each separately given a new build of an update without any pre-warning from me, all said it either crashed or froze and handed my back my iPad before the game had finished loading! One remarked, "Incompatibility with iOS9 must be the problem." :D I haven't even installed that yet.

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390
    edited September 2015

@GeorgeGS said:
    Like this, but with less ties.

Microsoft execs (explains ties) with Apple's latest releases this week. You can see the Apple logo on the white box. :joy:

• NimbleBugNimbleBug Member Posts: 483

@dgackey if it is Bug free version,with improved performance by end of the year 2015..i am more than happy :)

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@neoman said:
    Socks asked about this before. I think Codewizard's reply was it will NOT be implemented since toyman (The guy implementing it) left GS.

Toyman didn't "leave" GS, he went 'missing', the last anyone heard about him he was taped up in the boot of a late 1980s Ford Maverick heading north towards Nebraska, a car that was later discovered to be registered to Codewizard.

@PhilipCC said:
    The slow loading problem is exacerbated by the fact that the Loading Wheel doesn't even show when you launch an app!

This is the first I have heard of the loading wheel not working. Is it on every project of yours or just one? If you pm me a publishing link we'll take a look.

• HymloeHymloe Member Posts: 1,653

@33miles said:
    GeorgeGS QASalad I really need some help please! I updated to GS 0.13.40 from 0.13.36 yesterday, and have worked with it for about 8 hours with no crashes and really good performance for most things. But just a few minutes ago a horrible thing happened! I had two projects opened side by side referencing from one and working on the other, and after a while of work I saved inside of an actor for the project I was adding code and tables to. I then clicked the scene dropdown list and noticed all of the scene screenshots were gone... Then after getting out of that actor and back to one of my scenes there was no artwork present in that scene or the entire project!!!! The whole image library shows all of my hundreds of images with just a simple asset missing logo on each one!!! Please all you GS devs and smart people let me know if there is a way to recover my project. :'( I would be extremely grateful for any help.

I have never had anything like this happen in my 1+ years of making games with the many GS versions until now... Thanks for reading. :/

I would definitely say that you should save iterative versions of your project. Never just work on the one file.

You could occasionally ZIP up the project file, and name it, say "MyGame-001.zip", and then, later, zip up your project again and call it "MyGame-002.zip", etc.

I don't trust any game development tools, or really software in general! So I always work this way.

I don't bother zipping my projects, I just save new versions.

I have two projects going currently... one is at v4980, and the other is at v2217. :)

It's also a great way to be able to go back to an old version of the project, if you want to look at it's progress over time, or grab something that you decided to delete, but want it back again, etc.

@Armelline said:
    The loading time issue really needs to be addressed. I raised it as the biggest drawback of GameSalad back when the subscription fuss was happening, and it's only got worse since then.

My games take 5-10x as long to load with GameSalad as they would with native code and at least 2-3x as long as with the closest competing engines. I've lost more than a few clients who have had me make a game for them and then cited the loading times (initial load particularly) as the reason they're moving to other dev environments. You can cut them down by manipulating what's loaded when in that initial scene, but the bottom line is they're LONG.

One of my projects is kind of fine for loading times.

The other has gotten about 10x worse. I think it relates (perhaps) for me, to the Copy Table behaviour, although it could be something else.

I'll try to take a better look at it and attach my project to a bug some time for Game Salad inspection. :)

@dgackey said:

• Bug Fixing
    • Fixing Bugs

Hehehe. Awesome. Suits me. :) Nice!

@GeorgeGS said:
    This is the first I have heard of the loading wheel not working. Is it on every project of yours or just one? If you pm me a publishing link we'll take a look.

I haven't been too concerned about the loading wheel, but I think I've noticed that if you hold the device at one orientation, the loading wheel is there, but if you flip the device 180 degrees, the loading wheel is gone.

That's in the iOS Viewer, not sure about AdHoc.

Not something I've actually tested properly, but thought it was worth mentioning.