Mac Stable Release 0.13.31

124»

Comments

• HopscotchHopscotch Member, PRO Posts: 2,782

@The_Gamesalad_Guru, your Automatic_TV_Remote_Locator_and_Channel_Seletor app is ready to be collected at the counter.

;)

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069

@Hopscotch said:
    On a small screen? Look again! :dizzy:

@Hopscotch said:

Weird, I must have been seeing things.

Now on second look I understand, you got a hold of a future release. And this is a graph of how awesome it will be.

Follow us: Twitter - Website

• HymloeHymloe Member Posts: 1,653
    edited July 2015

@Chunkypixels said:
    Hymloe you do realise that for all the ranting you've done over the past couple of pages... you could have just done a build of your game with the latest version of GameSalad and tested to see if theres still an issue or not....

You keep saying you haven't touched the game for a year because of an issue that may or may not still be valid... rather than beating yourself/others over it, you could have spent an hour just trying it out :)

Saying that though... I must confess I've got probably around a dozen games that got shelved over the years, due to bugs and issues with GS, so I do understand some of the frustration... some I came back to later down the line, to find they now worked, others are still sitting in a dark corner of my hard drive, waiting for the day that I might get back to them.

I totally appreciate your sentiment. But it's like 20/20 hindsight. Or perhaps Schrodinger's Cat. I have no way to know (unless it's in the update notes from GS) whether the fix is in there or not.

Over the course of a year (and more from earlier problems), I've done (fruitless) upgrades countless time, just to test for the fix, to no avail.

GameSalad had not ever listed a fix relating to this in their updates in the last few months, so I haven't upgraded and tested in that time.

Yes, I could have updated every time a build was released, and tested for the fix. But a year of that fruitlessly is not conducive to ongoing attempts without some indication that a fix has actually been put in.

Several comments from GS staff just a little higher in this thread further "confirmed" that the issue was unchanged, and that my project was just "poorly programmed" (or however it was described).

But yes, what you say is still true. :) I could have downloaded the new build and tested with it... And indeed, I still need to download the new build ASAP, and test it out for myself!!

And I will be reveling in a bitter-sweet state of knowing that my project was implemented fine, and that it was indeed a problem in Game Salad, and that it took a full year to fix, and that I was right all along.

Not sure whether the emphasis is on bitter, or sweet.

Anyway, overall, thrilled if my project works again, even though my life has moved on a lot from when I was working on it, and it's unclear whether I really have the time or priority to work on it at this point in my life.

A lot changes in a year. I used to be an indie developer, trying to get my third game made. My grand opus.

Now I'm a full time game design teacher, with almost no spare time for development. And I never released a game since those problems hit me, which really is a sad thing.

This memory related road block brought my project to a complete halt, not because I wasn't inspired, not because I wasn't working hard on the project, not because I didn't have a plan to finish it, not because I wasn't enjoying working on it. Just because the game would crash from a Game Salad memory problem, for a full year.

Suffice to say, it has been a very severe pothole in the road of my experiences as an indie developer, and actually lead to my shifting out of indie development, and having to follow other opportunities. Those opportunities have turned out fine, as one would hope. But rather than making game development easier, Game Salad put my major game project in the grave.

I guess I answered my own question... emphasis seems to be on bitter.

Anyway, chin up! Back to it! I'm still truly excited to open it up and start working on it again! Just hope I can find the time in my new life to do so.

Sorry that I'm always here bitching.

I am honestly usually a very positive person (believe it or not).

I try not to take these issues with game development personally. Like, I'll kind of forgive and forget. And if my Game Salad projects are going well, I'm happy to come on here and click Likes and Awesomes on GS staff posts, and saying "Good one, well done", and help other people, etc, etc.

But as soon as I start thinking about my dead project, and the helplessness and frustration I've felt for so long about it (it really put a bullet in my enthusiasm and personal indie game development efforts)... I just switch into angry me.

The sense that GS don't understand the problem, and handball it around, blame me for the problem, don't take ownership of the issue, really really galls me.

And apparently, after a full year, it's only been fixed as a side effect of some other sort of work, done by someone at GS who perhaps has no idea they just fixed my year long crippling issue.

It's just... not good enough frankly.

But anyway... we go on. Phew. Let it all out. I'll shut up now. I hope. For everyone's sake.

Onto more practical things!!

What version of XCode is needed to compile the 0.13.31 Viewer for iOS?

• LovejoyLovejoy Member Posts: 2,078

@Hymloe said:
    Onto more practical things!!

What version of XCode is needed to compile the 0.13.31 Viewer for iOS?

This feels like de ja vu from like 6 months or so ago, since i don't what to type the exact same thing i did last time ill just quote someone else.

@Hopscotch said:
    Hymloe, make an adhoc to test!

This is the only true representation of how your game will behave on a client device.

The above findings are with a adhoc build. The Viewer is a convenience, but if you find memory problems then always cut out as many proxies as possible, in this case the viewer.

Fortuna Infortuna Forti Una

So, what version of XCode is needed to compile the 0.13.31 Viewer for iOS?

That is a reasonable question isn't it? :) Doesn't anyone use the viewer, ever, for anything?

• HopscotchHopscotch Member, PRO Posts: 2,782

@Hymloe, use the latest XCode your OS will accomodate. This is fine for an adhoc or the viewer. When it comes to publishing to Apple you will need XCode v 6.x