Apple did something very cool for registered developers today

RPRP Member Posts: 1,990
edited June 2015 in Non-GS Game News

Did you guys/gals/GSers get that awesome email?
Discuss!

Comments

• freneticzfreneticz SwedenMember, PRO Posts: 774

I have now read it, what does this mean for us

• Bad wolf GuyBad wolf Guy Member Posts: 206

It meant to make everything more easier to use and find from a developer point of view. I welcome it.

• CaptFinnCaptFinn Member Posts: 1,828

Mind linking the read?

• NimbleBugNimbleBug Member Posts: 483
    edited June 2015

one developer account for every thing (ios , mac ....) Awesome :)

• izamizam Member, PRO Posts: 503

will we get a pro rated refund for those who already just paid for 2 developer membership (iOS and Mac)?

• jay2dxjay2dx Member Posts: 611

So Mac apps with controller support :)... We've made it guys,, we've made it.

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342
    edited June 2015

@izam said:
    will we get a pro rated refund for those who already just paid for 2 developer membership (iOS and Mac)?

Nope. The information is on the website. Basically what Apple will do is take the days left on your two memberships and stack them, i.e. if you have 216 days left on your Mac Membership and 216 days left on your iOS Membership, you will end up with 432 days till your new membership expires.

• ApprowApprow Member Posts: 703

I love it! By the way, does anyone know if we can safely update to the iOS 9 beta without gamesalad viewer being broken?

• Kid_Ninja_GamesKid_Ninja_Games Member, PRO Posts: 25

Wish GS supported the Watch :(

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,332

They did something very cool for non-registered developers too. From what I read you no longer need a developer account to install on iOS devices. I assume you'll still need to pay before you can test GC and IAP though.

@Approw said:
    I love it! By the way, does anyone know if we can safely update to the iOS 9 beta without gamesalad viewer being broken?

Same with OS X El Capitain...might it break Creator?

Any plans to leverage Metal?

With Swift 2.0 language and API advancements, taking it open-source, the new AI and lighting modules, this might be the perfect time to invest some time into learning to code and leverage all those benefits. Still got almost three months till my PRO expires to make a definite decision, but it's definitely tempting.

@pHghost I'm going to try it in an hour, so I will report if theres any problems with it. Luckily you can downgrade to iOS 8.3 very easily. I'm not sure about El Capitan, but I will give that a try too later today.

@pHghost said:
    With Swift 2.0 language and API advancements, taking it open-source, the new AI and lighting modules, this might be the perfect time to invest some time into learning to code and leverage all those benefits. Still got almost three months till my PRO expires to make a definite decision, but it's definitely tempting.

Wasn't graphene going to support swift? I think your best bet is to learn swift, and C# for now. Swift is fairly easy to learn and is very similar to C#, and C# is very universal. Most developers who make games with unity, use C#. I'm starting some courses anytime soon as well:)

@Approw said:
    Wasn't graphene going to support swift?

As the information stands currently, I don't think it's been established. There was mention of Obj-C, but not Swift, I think.

@pHghost GS seems to work the fine on El Capitan for now, but I'm sure there are some bugs. However, GS viewer is broken. On a 5S it displays the viewer as its on a legacy iDevice, and it simply doesn't want to load the game. I will have to go back to 8.3 for now. Hopefully gamesalad can update to iOS 9 as soon as they are done fixing bugs for the stable release.

• Thunder_ChildThunder_Child Member Posts: 2,343
    edited June 2015

Double take !! They allow one membership to publish to both iOS and OSX?

Just read this....after agreeing to the new program....its effective on the 8th of June OH WAIT THAT WAS YESTERDAY !!!

Whoohoo!

This is mega freakin awesome !!!

• Thunder_ChildThunder_Child Member Posts: 2,343
    edited June 2015

@Kid_Ninja_Games said:
    Wish GS supported the Watch :(

Yep ! That'd be a +1 for that !

But GS says it CANT...so I'm not expecting somehow all the sudden it will.

@Approw said:
    pHghost GS seems to work the fine on El Capitan for now, but I'm sure there are some bugs. However, GS viewer is broken.

Cool! Thanks for the info. I don't ever use GS Viewer anyway, I always ad-hoc.

How does El Capitain feel? Slower, faster than Yosemite? The same? I'm running quite old hardware, so not sure whether to do the jump.

• RPRP Member Posts: 1,990

See? and right before......E3...ahhhhh

• ookami007ookami007 Member Posts: 581
    edited June 2015

One account to rule them all... and in the darkness bind them!

• RPRP Member Posts: 1,990

BTW @KillerPenguinStudios and I will be at E3 again this year. If any you peeps are in realm, give us your time and your xyz.

• CobraBladeCobraBlade Member Posts: 97

Really happy about this.

@pHghost I didn't test and ad hoc build yet, will do today. El Capitan feels definitely really good for a closed beta. I run it on a early 2011 macbook pro, it still has a HDD so applications don't load fast. I work on a Hackintosh Mac Pro. It still runs on mountain lion, but It's quite a beast:)

I can confirm that ad hoc builds do work. I build and signed the app on El Capitan with the GS stable release, and tested it on iOS9. Not sure how many bugs will appear, don't really have time to test it fully, but the game seemed to work fine to me:)

• robertkdalerobertkdale USAMember Posts: 912

I love how Apple always has the developers in mind.

Big Smile Games Play Happy!
    Check out our other GameSalad exclusives.

• KillerPenguinStudiosKillerPenguinStudios Member Posts: 1,291

Def excited for this! Also, as @RP said, we will be at E3 this year and would be cool to get together with other fellow GS members. If you guys are going let us know and we will meet up!