How do I create a game?

lordpmvklordpmvk Member Posts: 2

As advertised by GameSalad, create your game without coding, I was extremely impressed. But sad for me I don't see any valid tutorials here. I even tried to search the forum for any such kind of thread, but couldn't find any. I request someone to direct me where all my questions will be answered on how to use GameSalad efficiently and any tutorials other than GameSalad YouTube channel, because the intros are too basic and nothing related to creating a game.

Best Answers

Answers

• ApprowApprow Member Posts: 703

@lordpmvk Before saying any such thing, you need to ask yourself what kind of game you want to make. Asking how to make games is asking how to build a car, without any specific details. So, what do you want to build?

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

If you haven't read through http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/79005/new-gs-user-hope-this-makes-you-feel-welcome/p1, please start there. There is an abundance of information about getting starting with GameSalad.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• lordpmvklordpmvk Member Posts: 2

@Approw said:
    lordpmvk Before saying any such thing, you need to ask yourself what kind of game you want to make. Asking how to make games is asking how to build a car, without any specific details. So, what do you want to build?

Thanks a lot for the reply. I was actually referring to GameSalad tool itself. I couldn't understand how to make a character move using joysticks. I have an idea of what and how my game should be, but couldn't understand how to use the tool (GameSalad) itself. And the YouTube channel really has very basic tutorials.

• EverwildEverwild Member Posts: 48

First you have to make the character. Then you have to tell it how to move and when. Then you have to tell it what inputs going in cause that movement. Then you have to make the joystick, which is really a collection of actors running equations. Then you have to tie the joystick positions to the movements you want. The tutorials are fairly simple to start out with, because that's where people should generally start. As simple of a game mechanic as a joystick is, it's not as a simple of an operation to actually implement it.

If you look around a bit though, there are some decent templates with some workable joysticks. Pulling those apart and looking at the rules and whatnot is really handy.

GSInvention has a good one