Decided to stay for now.

JimmyMesserJimmyMesser LondonMember Posts: 235
edited May 2015 in Non-GS Game News

Ok guys obviously just because of a few issues I've been having with the current build and my current computer situation I harshly jumped at to a decision I'm going to give GS a second chance.

Talk soon,

Jim

P.S. I will still be doing the tutorials I just need to get my stuff sorted.

Comments

• UtopianGamesUtopianGames Member Posts: 5,692
    edited May 2015

You won't find an easier SDK to use and I'm sure you will find some limitations with most of them the trick is to know whats possible in your chosen SDK and roll with it.

Its never nice having to leave some elements out from your game but theres usually a work around or compromise to be had.

• sebmat86sebmat86 Member Posts: 339

You´re just Messing around, right?

• FallingBoxStudiosFallingBoxStudios Freelance Graphic Designer Member Posts: 822

Sad to see you go, Jim. Good luck with whatever you do next :)

• ApprowApprow Member Posts: 703

Construct 2 is a great engine, too bad its windows only at the moment. Goodluck!

• BigDaveBigDave Member Posts: 2,239

just a warning monetization and publishing with contruct2 is a junk of work my friend uses it he started with it when started with game salad.

but it has polygon editor for collision shapes what is pretty damn awesome.

• floatingwoofloatingwoo Los Angeles, Calif.Member Posts: 393

Well I guess if it's something specific to your game. You must know what your doing. Right?

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772
  • BlackCloakGSBlackCloakGS Member, PRO Posts: 2,250
    edited May 2015

@JimmyMesser I am sorry to hear that we are not the right fit for you. If you have time i would love to hear what features we are missing that causes us not to be a good fit.

• MarcMySaladMarcMySalad Member Posts: 158
    edited May 2015

@BlackCloakGS said:
    JimmyMesser I am sorry to hear that we are not the right fit for you. If you have time i would love to hear what features we are missing that causes us not to be a good fit.

did I hear someone say "custom fonts" / more than the very limited selection of fonts that are available

• MarcMySaladMarcMySalad Member Posts: 158
    edited May 2015

• FrantoFranto Member Posts: 779
    edited May 2015

For me, the only thing Construct 2 has that GS doesn't, is html5 export. Although different from the iOS market entirely, is another good source of income for those already in it before it became saturated.

I use to joke to myself that C2 and GS had made a secret deal/pact for it not to have html5 exports so that C2 could get that market while GS got the app store users, with the big sofa companies behind it all, lol. :) There might be huge market saturation if GS were able to do html5 export. But then again, a lot of clients demand highly editable files with the ability to put their own api and code into it.

@JimmyMesser If your going into it to sell html5 games, you must learn to be able to use the plugin feature to be able to put client's api in it, otherwise they won't accept the game. Some people can't and blame the software for not making it easy. Some reccomend to either just learn javascript, or use one of the frameworks like Phaser to make things a little easier{although it's still fairly time-consuming.}

EDIT: Theres some issues in the html5 market as well, like how pirate sites pop up and use the files of html5 games without paying the original author. Things like obfuscation of code is needed, as well as many other issues.

I originally got into game salad for the html5 market, I didn't know about the app store or angry birds, or any of those trends since I had never owned a smartphone before then. When weighing the two against each other, native smartphone games might be a safer bet and just as profitable if not more so than html5. I do plan to still try out html5 in the future once I see how well an app does.

• ant_ladant_lad Member Posts: 222

Before buying anything in their market, check out the seller and stuff first.

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069

Joined in April and left in May. Short stay, hope you find what you're looking for.

Follow us: Twitter - Website

• MattButlerStudiosMattButlerStudios Member Posts: 486

To be honest, you will never find an engine that fits your needs entirely. If you want every feature write native code, or use something that is closer to native code than a visual coding interface. I agree with @DeepBlueApps on the fact that you should use an engine that works the best and is easily understandable. Build you apps from the features Gamesalad provides and make use with what you have. And by no means is Gamesalad a weak software, there are a lot of features for you to choose from! :) Just my 2 cents.

• JimmyMesserJimmyMesser LondonMember Posts: 235

Check update above.

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772

@JimmyMesser, well now you've done it! None of the responses make any sense! LOL ;)

Glad to hear you're sticking around. Give it a chance and once Gamesalad's logic clicks with you I think you'll be full steam ahead.

• UtopianGamesUtopianGames Member Posts: 5,692

Glad to see your sticking around :)

• CaptFinnCaptFinn Member Posts: 1,828

@BlackCloakGS said:
    JimmyMesser I am sorry to hear that we are not the right fit for you. If you have time i would love to hear what features we are missing that causes us not to be a good fit.

Did someone say. More..... MUCH MORE freedom with html5. You know what we want.

• ant_ladant_lad Member Posts: 222

sweet! I love your avatar

• UrsulanonameUrsulanoname Member Posts: 5

Gamesonomy is a great engine too.

http://www.gamesonomy.com/

• StoodeldStoodeld Member Posts: 7

Love this second chance meme :D