"Why Your Brilliant Game Idea Is Absolutely Worthless"

gyroscopegyroscope I am here.Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 6,598
edited April 2015 in Non-GS Game News

Article: Why Your Brilliant Game Idea Is Absolutely Worthless

http://blackshellmedia.com/why-your-brilliant-game-idea-is-absolutely-worthless/

Agree? Disagree? Useful or not?

""You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike." - Zork        temp domain http://spidergriffin.wix.com/alphaghostapps

Comments

• DuesDues Member Posts: 1,159

Good read! Like the thinking, but not sure i agree :)
    I don't like to show too much what Im working on before it's close to release, but if you think about it, whatever idea you might have, someone's almost certainly already done it.
    But there's also the fact that you might execute the idea better then someone else and therfore make that "hit" game we all dream about making.
    Just some thoughts :)

• gyroscopegyroscope I am here.Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 6,598

Hi @Dues - i like your thinking and I agree with what you're saying. :smile:

""You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike." - Zork        temp domain http://spidergriffin.wix.com/alphaghostapps

• ogreofwartogreofwart Hello Everybody on the Gamesalad Planet. I come in peace, warts'n'all!!! Lancashire UKMember Posts: 281

True there is very little that is an original idea anymore, it is how it is depicted that is different or novel enough to make a success.

• JSprojectJSproject Member Posts: 730

Anyone that has at least some basic understanding of the processes involved in app development will see through the total ignorance in the statement below.

"I have this amazing idea. It’s absolutely brilliant and will sell hundreds of thousands of copies and make me rich. I want to onboard a team to make this game for me with a revenue share model."

In addition the melody / undertone usually goes something like this "So I have this unique idea, you do all the other basic stuff like programming, gfx, music, sfx, marketing... then I will publish the game and we will share the profit - I will take 33-50% since I provided the whole idea and you share all the rest"

It's still a little amusing to read similar statements here from time to time :)

• ogreofwartogreofwart Hello Everybody on the Gamesalad Planet. I come in peace, warts'n'all!!! Lancashire UKMember Posts: 281

He who pays the piper..... :D

• ant_ladant_lad Member Posts: 222

I have read similar most of my life. I half agree.
    For instance; one of the projects I am documenting and exploring is something that hasn't been done before. In fact a few of my ideas have not been done before.
    In everything, there is a balance. Without documenting (business plan), most lose their way. I approach game design like building a website: design a site on paper and build it correctly the first time.
    Most mmo games are a good example of not documenting before diving in. What I constantly find in them is the same thing: the game was pushed out the door to capitalize, but then has to expanded and becomes increasingly further away from the original and usually stymies new players. I find it a terrible model, yet one that is repeated.
    It is sometimes funny to be my age with my game experience (and memory), I often find these thoughts to be generational.
    If you follow the link in the article, a good number of those were groundbreaking conventions that still make good money for some.
    I find documenting helps me when thinking about a project when not working on it.

How many authors (or any other profession) simply dive in? Certainly not many of the successful ones.

If you leave home on a trip without looking at a map, you will end up wherever you end up. Sometimes that is fun, but not when trying to get to a particular place.