Need a PROFESSIONAL game developed.

michaelvmauro392michaelvmauro392 Member Posts: 3
Hello,

I need a developer(s) to create the "officially licensed" computer game based on my web comic Atom Bug. My deadline is November 1st for a fully finished product. Read the webcomic at www.michaelvmauro.com and come up with a game document proposal including Genre, budget, release date, etc.

Candidates to be considered will:
- Have strong art skills (either traditional or in 3d modeling/animation)
- Possess the ability to envision the computer game version of the web comic from start to
finish. Playability, relevance, fun factor and deadline mindset are all crucial factors.
- Must have expert knowledge of the Gamesalad engine.
- Must be able to submit milestones of the game from time to time until the final submission
on or before November 1st, 2010.
- Be able to handle constructive criticism in overall planning and functionality to deliver the
best product possible.
- Click the 'LIKE' button on my website. (^_^)
- MUST be a SERIOUS contender who would like to make games for fun and profit! Submit a
bid and game document with the aforementioned information and you will be considered!

Regards,
Michael Mauro
www.michaelvmauro.com

Comments

• UtopianGamesUtopianGames Member Posts: 5,692
    Sounds like you need a designer+developer+artist+musician....

Good Luck in your search.

Darren.
  • SethsAppsSethsApps Member, PRO Posts: 328
    I think I am free enough to fit you in here but you will need to explain what you want more in-depth before we can provide a quote. Please email me at seth@sethsapps.com with a description of what you would like in your game. Your comic looks pretty interesting (just read it) and we work with a few very good graphic designers here plus know the GameSalad software pretty well. So just send me an email and I'll get back to you right away with my Yes/No on the design and also some specifications of how qualified we are plus some examples of some games were working on right now for other clients.
  • BarkBarkCoBarkBarkCo Member Posts: 1,400
    I'm guessing a "pro" will be hard to come by in a forum dedicated to "the rest of us" (see GameSalad tagline)...

I'm just kidding. Good luck in you search. ;-)
  • michaelvmauro392michaelvmauro392 Member Posts: 3
    Hey, it's a paying gig. 'Nuff said.
  • BarkBarkCoBarkBarkCo Member Posts: 1,400
    You wouldn't be willing to pay $2000, would you? ;-)
  • OknaviOknavi Member Posts: 13
    I could do it, but alllll those things by November 1st? You must be dreaming. And I'm pretty sure your budget for this game is not realistic either (just a hunch from past experience with people)
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    Oknavi, this was originally posted back in July, so the november timeframe was pretty good. price, that's another story
  • synthesissynthesis Member Posts: 1,693
    Yeah...a final submission by Nov 1 is quite a demand. Not sure if its possible.

And if it was...not without serious overtime (for a single dev...which most on here are). So between now and then...its probably at least 400-500 hours of work just to get a beta version out. So even at $10/hr...your looking at $4-5K.

If I were to take it on...I would personally ask for $7K up front with $8K at delivery and a Beta test due by Dec 1st...with final release targeted at Jan 1 but not guaranteed. But final pricing and timelines would be completely subject to the scope definition.

I am sure there are others willing to do it for less....but are they "pro" quality? Not sure...but perhaps...but it depends on your interpretation of the word "professional".
  • TymeMasterTymeMaster Member Posts: 527
    michaelvmauro392 said:
    Hello,

I need a developer(s) to create the "officially licensed" computer game based on my web comic Atom Bug. My deadline is November 1st for a fully finished product. Read the webcomic at www.michaelvmauro.com and come up with a game document proposal including Genre, budget, release date, etc.

Candidates to be considered will:
    - Have strong art skills (either traditional or in 3d modeling/animation)
    - Possess the ability to envision the computer game version of the web comic from start to
    finish. Playability, relevance, fun factor and deadline mindset are all crucial factors.
    - Must have expert knowledge of the Gamesalad engine.
    - Must be able to submit milestones of the game from time to time until the final submission
    on or before November 1st, 2010.
    - Be able to handle constructive criticism in overall planning and functionality to deliver the
    best product possible.
    - Click the 'LIKE' button on my website. (^_^)
    - MUST be a SERIOUS contender who would like to make games for fun and profit! Submit a
    bid and game document with the aforementioned information and you will be considered!

Regards,
    Michael Mauro
    www.michaelvmauro.com

What is your budget?
    Do you have functional specifications written?
    Do you have the funds to pay someone to write those specs for you?

Note: A typical iPhone app will run you approx $5,000 to $10,000 per month development time just for engineering. And that assumes you already have all the specifications written, you have all the audio done, and you have all the artwork done. If you need someone to write the functional specifications too, thats around $75 an hour. Jobs are typically paid 1/3 at start, 1/3 at half way milestone, and balance upon final delivery (it will be delivered when all the functionality in the spec is complete, and in working order). That is why a GOOD spec is important! Once the project is done, changes made to the spec and code will cost you double usually ($150 an hour).

That is what a "PRO" will cost you. On the plus side, a "PRO" could also do anything you need in XCode (in other words features not supported by Game Salad). I would skip Game Salad and do native Obj-C with OpenGL ES for graphics and OpenAL for audio.
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    michaelvmauro392 said:
    Read the webcomic at www.michaelvmauro.com and come up with a game document proposal including Genre, budget, release date, etc.
    Possess the ability to envision the computer game version of the web comic from start to finish.

I've edited and highlighted the parts that rang alarm bells for me.

I used to know a lot of people in games PR. The amount of times that they bid for a contract, only to get turned down and then see the internal PR people do exactly the same thing was just outrageous!

QS :D

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

No offense to Michael, but it sounds like you have an "Idea". The bad news is that an "Idea" is not worth much because everyone has them. Coming up with an "Idea" is abut 1% of the work, the hard parts are:

- Writing a solid design specification (so that both YOU and the developer know what YOU expect)
    - Writing the code
    - Creating the art
    - Creating the audio
    - Testing the product
    - Debugging the code

Right now the iOS device market is HOT. And when a market is hot, the demand goes up. This is just like everything else... When the demand is high, so is the price.

You could drop the word "Pro" and find an amateur, or pay someone in India $2000 a month. Good luck with that :)

There are plenty of good solid developers here with GS background. TShirtbooth, Quantum Sheep, and Protics are three of them. But those guys are busy, so I doubt they will be cheap :)
    I'm cheap for a professional game developer...I only charge $80/hr for art and/or GS development. But I will discount that to $8000/mo if contracted for 2 months or more.

I would need a scope outline and detailed specification though for a guaranteed project quote.
    synthesis said:

I would need a scope outline and detailed specification though for a guaranteed project quote.

If he can't even do that, he is not even worth talking to. But you already know that :)

I always try to stress to my clients how important that is, otherwise we have no idea when its done. I tell them its like going to a contractor to build a house, but do not give him any blueprints. Well damn, it could be a 20,000 shack or a 20,000,000 mansion!

But the real other reason is I like to charge for "Change requests" (feature creep), but without a solid design/functional specification, you can't prove a change from an original feature.

A real good principal engineer could get $200k a year easy, but it has dropped. I think to probably 7k to 10k per month average.
    tshirtbooth said:
    $80/hr. I'm only $40/hr but I bet that's still 4 x more then your willing to pay.

You're short changing yourself. Like Synthesis said, it's cool to lower your rates, but only if the client has multiple jobs (or a job lasting a few months). The reason for this is you don't have to look for new work while working with that single client. You need to be careful with this though because people will promise you a years worth of work and then run out of money a few months in (BS to get out of the job).
    @TSB...
    Nobody actually contracts you hourly...unless its the government hiring you. Every contract I've ever had always wanted a fee cap on any hourly quotes anyway...which is basically the same as a project quote.

I have learned from years of contracting projects (mostly in architecture) that you fee at the higher level...because by the time your done...and you calculate the hours against the fee after all of the client add ons and indecisiveness...you are at about half the rate of what you initially started at.

And I have NEVER had a client (out of hundreds of projects) that didn't expand scope and expect it to be included.

Plus you need to take your actual salary and double it for overhead and profit, software, hardware, rent/lease, taxes...and all the other "stuff" needed to operate...not to mention the "in-between" periods for ramp ups and ramp downs of projects.

If you can't get a decent fee...then you might as well do your own projects...they have a tendency to be more profitable anyway. Contract work is only good if its profitable...otherwise its not worth the headaches.
  • OknaviOknavi Member Posts: 13
    mulcahy said:
    Oknavi, this was originally posted back in July, so the november timeframe was pretty good. price, that's another story

Oops, sorry! But still. November with what budget? Eh.
    synthesis said:

I have learned from years of contracting projects (mostly in architecture) that you fee at the higher level...because by the time your done...and you calculate the hours against the fee after all of the client add ons and indecisiveness...you are at about half the rate of what you initially started at.

And I have NEVER had a client (out of hundreds of projects) that didn't expand scope and expect it to be included.

So true... *haunting memories of scope creepers and mind changers*
  • debugdesigndebugdesign Member Posts: 886
    Reading all this makes me think I'm a bit too cheap! :)
    @debug...
    Yes...I believe you are...unless you are just lighting fast. Why do you think your demand is so high. :)

But if you are super hungry...prices drops tend to be inevitable.
  • Hey guys, I'm back!

I wanted to let everyone know the job was filled a month ago. I didn't want to leave you hanging, so I figured I'd give you the heads up. The budget was $7500 for 6 months in case you were wondering, with the deadline of November obviously negotiated. It is always supposed to be about the quality, unless you worship EA (zing!).
    Thank you for all the support and information. GO GAMESALAD!!

-Michael Mauro
    $7500 for 6 months work? HAHAHAHA, are you joking?

If someone worked 40 hours a week for six months, that is $7.21 an hour! I don't think you can even buy a dot head in india that cheap. Good luck pal, a pro you will not get.
  • AfterBurnettAfterBurnett Member Posts: 3,474
    Deleted TymeMaster's extremely racist remark. Not cool.
    Lol. Why do I have a hyphen? you are hyphenless!
    Why did you delete my post?
    LOL!
    HAHAAHAHAH Wow... $7500 for six months works out to $7.21 an hour, a pro you will not get. You are simply wasting everyones time.
    Hey Polygame, there was no reason to delete my response. Racist remarks my ass, I am going to talk to someone at Gendai about you.
    tshirtbooth said:
    He said why in his post.

He is full of ****, there was nothing racist in there.
    POLYGAMe said:
    Deleted TymeMaster's extremely racist remark. Not cool.

There was nothing racist in my post you, you are full of crap. I think Gendai needs to remove the privledge from you, you are abusing it. I don't care if you like me or not, just don't go accusing me of things I did not do. You have serious problems!
    tshirtbooth said:
    TymeMaster, Im not sure what you said so i cant comment but i just had to edit your post and take out where you called him an idiot.

Were all friends here so lets keep it nice.

cheers

Lets see now brother, why don;t you go edit the post with the word **** in the title? I am offended by it, and I am offended by your selective editing. I have a big problem with Gendai allowing people to simply edit any post they feel like it. You can't claim you are fair so long as that post with ****exists. So, get to editing it!
    tshirtbooth said:
    I will look for that post now.

Also i have not wronged you so it would be nice if you were a little nicer.

cheers

I see you changed it, thanks