Game crashes in viewer, and adhoc

Happy Family GamesHappy Family Games Member Posts: 25
edited March 2015 in Tech Support

I have an app that starts with a black screen which has one actor... the "play" button. Inside the play button, I'm loading saved attributes then changing the scene to the main scene. Before the main scene loads, the game crashes. Here's a symbolicated crash report: http://wikisend.com/download/602784/fish_crash.rtf]fish_crash.rtf

Comments

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

Maybe consider linking to an uploaded text file next time. ;) That's quite a wall of text!

My suggestion would be to do some custom debugging statements. Using a series of Display Text behaviors placed strategically throughout your rule(s), watch to see what values are present (e.g. "1", "2", "3", etc.; you could display each expression in a different part of the screen). The last value that is displayed will be an indicator of where the problem lies.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• Happy Family GamesHappy Family Games Member Posts: 25

I thought that might be a bit too much text lol... I'll be editing the thread shortly with a linked text file :)

I've used display text actors to trace bugs down as per your suggestion in a different thread (thanks for that btw) but I'm not sure how that helps here... the game runs flawlessly within gamesalad, it's only crashing when ported to the phone/iPad.

Since it crashes immediately on pressing "play," I wouldn't see any display text behavior, after pressing the button. This has been driving me crazy... I've scoured the behaviors for circular logic and invalid references in the main scene. I do have a buggy rule that's probably due to poor "programming", but I've built the app without that rule in place, and it still crashes.

@Happy Family Games said:
    I thought that might be a bit too much text lol... I'll be editing the thread shortly with a linked text file :)

Thank you!

I've used display text actors to trace bugs down as per your suggestion in a different thread (thanks for that btw) but I'm not sure how that helps here... the game runs flawlessly within gamesalad, it's only crashing when ported to the phone/iPad.

Well, again, something is causing the crash on mobile devices. It could be a timing issue, a tableCellValue that isn't populated at the time the retrieval is made, a loop that triggers at a different time, etc., etc. Mobile device processors and RAM are different enough that unexpected things can happen.

Since it crashes immediately on pressing "play," I wouldn't see any display text behavior, after pressing the button.

Fair enough. Display Text might not help in this case but it's my go to for troubleshooting adhoc builds. The next step is to deconstruct your scene, deleting actors one at a time and re-testing. A painful process but it does provide results.

This has been driving me crazy...

I know the feeling!

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• LovejoyLovejoy Member Posts: 2,078

If you want, i can help you look into your project.

Fortuna Infortuna Forti Una

edited March 2015

Thanks @tatiang ... I keep putting off deleting actors but I've spent enough time tracking this down, that deleting actors sounds like a walk in the park lol. Thanks @Lovejoy, I might take u up on your offer if I can't figure out what's going on

Update: I just started looking at the project in Mac creator (I had been mainly using Windows.) Under the actor tab, there are 2 all tags, one containing all of my actors and the other is empty... in the Windows version, there is only 1 all tag which includes all of my actors. Is this normal in Mac creator, or could this maybe indicate some sort of file corruption?

edited March 2015

So.. I turned off all rules in my main scene, and changed the "play" button so the only rule in it is to change the scene. The app is still crashing, so I'm assuming it's not any of the rules that are causing the crash. I don't have any sounds loaded either. Is it possible that a corrupt image is to blame?

By Jove, I found it! I started deleting attributes and recognized one that was leftover from some previous testing. I tried to delete it and was surprised to find it being referenced by the "floor" actor. I looked into the floor actor's backstage and the rule was not being referenced. I deleted the floor actor all together, published, and now the game runs :)

Thanks a ton for your help guys... +1,000,000

Hooray!