Using the Keymap attributes to use a Gamepad/Controller

I'm missing a very crucial bit of information and inexplicably can't seem to find it anywhere on the internet. My question is essentially, How does using a gamepad with game salad actually work?
I've hooked up a PS3 controller to my Mac, and I've found the various Keymap Attributes under [Game Attributes] but they don't seem to be corresponding to anything. When I create a new rule, can make it so that it says

Attribute>> game.player 1 keymap. Dpad Up>> contains >> blank

but are there specific values I should be writing in that box?
The PS3 controller is working with other applications on my computer.
I've tried constraining the attribute to a key press but that doesn't do anything. Is there some very basic gamesalad knowledge I'm missing here concerning how to edit text attributes? I can't find anything in the forums.

Comments

• LsampaioiiLsampaioii Member Posts: 6
    edited February 2015

It appears the problem was that instead of

it should be

Attribute>> game.players.player 1 keymap. Dpad Up>> true

the [players] choice is actually found under devices instead of game.

I found this out by scouring the behaviours in this helpful demo

which was posted on this thread
    http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/80150/release-candidate-0-13-3-firetv-and-gamepad-support/p1

by @jonmulcahy

thank you @jonmulcahy!

• LsampaioiiLsampaioii Member Posts: 6

Additionally, the simple bit of gamesalad knowledge I was missing is that one can simply edit a text attribute by clicking the empty space between the attribute and the word "text."

• Funky ChickenFunky Chicken Member, PRO Posts: 3

@Lsampaioii said:
    I'm missing a very crucial bit of information and inexplicably can't seem to find it anywhere on the internet. My question is essentially, How does using a gamepad with game salad actually work?
    I've hooked up a PS3 controller to my Mac, and I've found the various Keymap Attributes under [Game Attributes] but they don't seem to be corresponding to anything. When I create a new rule, can make it so that it says

but are there specific values I should be writing in that box?
    The PS3 controller is working with other applications on my computer.
    I've tried constraining the attribute to a key press but that doesn't do anything. Is there some very basic gamesalad knowledge I'm missing here concerning how to edit text attributes? I can't find anything in the forums.

Could you please explain how you connected the PS3 to use in the Preview? My Mac recognizes the controller but I see nothing in Preview that indicates it is connected.

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    edited February 2015

@Funky Chicken said:
    Could you please explain how you connected the PS3 to use in the Preview? My Mac recognizes the controller but I see nothing in Preview that indicates it is connected.

@Lsampaioii you're welcome!

@Funky Chicken
    there is a behavior that will be true/false if the gamepad is connected. I was using a PS4 in the video above. as far as i know, as long as the OS recognizes the controller the preview will work. It's been a long time, but don't you need drivers for the PS3 controller to work with OS X? I know you did on the windows side. My PS4 controller worked without a fuss. check out the demo above.

p.s. unless you add a '_' in your username, no one can message you :) the space breaks the system as you can see above. not even quotes fixes it.