Corrupted SG game file

gyroscopegyroscope I am here.Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 6,598
edited November -1 in Tech Support
Hi, I've started putting together a couple of scenes for my first iPhone app. Already I've managed to corrupt the file: it still opens, but opening within the Project Editor (heading showing only), and apart from the grey bar at the top with icons, the rest of the window is blank.

What I was trying before this happened, is dragging a couple of Rule sets from one game file to another. (I've just tried this again, and it's freaked it out again, but in a different way). Don't know if you're aware of this prob or not, but thought it best to let you know.

PS The group of Rules dragged to another file: shouldn't it be a copy only, leaving the original intact, rather than deleting it, as it does at the moment?

---------------------------------------------------------------
Spiral Gyro Games

""You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike." - Zork        temp domain http://spidergriffin.wix.com/alphaghostapps

Comments

• chosenonestudioschosenonestudios Member Posts: 1,714
    gyroscope said:
    What I was trying before this happened, is dragging a couple of Rule sets from one game file to another. (I've just tried this again, and it's freaked it out again, but in a different way). Don't know if you're aware of this prob or not, but thought it best to let you know.
    Spiral Gyro Games

I don't know if theres a solution to your corrupted file, but.......

DONT EVER, EVER COPY RULES BETWEEN PROJECTS!!!

Destroys everything....

Sorry, this doesn't really help, but good luck!

Cheers! :D

-Will
  • gyroscopegyroscope I am here.Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 6,598
    chosenonestudios said:
    I don't know if theres a solution to your corrupted file, but.......

DONT EVER, EVER COPY RULES BETWEEN PROJECTS!!!
    -Will

Thanks for the sound advice, Will. I'm obviously trying to do something that's not properly built into to the GUI. Hope this'll be a feature eventually...

;-)

Spiral Gyro Games

""You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike." - Zork        temp domain http://spidergriffin.wix.com/alphaghostapps

• gyroscopegyroscope I am here.Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 6,598
    Thinking on, I guess that when copied across (or moved, in this case) all of the attributes don't lose their links, that must be what tangles it. Perhaps Gendai could make so that when Behaviour groups are copied from one file to another, all attributes are replaced with italics, giving a good clue as to what new attributes are needed to make it work again. And if an actor triggers its Rules with any attributes in italics, i.e which haven't been replaced yet, a warning pops up: New attributes in Rules not added to the attribute list, or something. That sort of system would be pretty much watertight, I think...and it sure would help; saving a lot of time especially if, let's say, you've two feet of rules or more you want to copy across.

(Or better still perhaps, all of the attribute names are automatically put into the Actor's attribute list).

:-)

Spiral Gyro Games

• chosenonestudioschosenonestudios Member Posts: 1,714
    gyroscope said:
    Thinking on, I guess that when copied across (or moved, in this case) all of the attributes don't lose their links, that must be what tangles it. Perhaps Gendai could make so that when Behaviour groups are copied from one file to another, all attributes are replaced with italics, giving a good clue as to what new attributes are needed to make it work again. And if an actor triggers its Rules with any attributes in italics, i.e which haven't been replaced yet, a warning pops up: New attributes in Rules not added to the attribute list, or something. That sort of system would be pretty much watertight, I think...and it sure would help; saving a lot of time especially if, let's say, you've two feet of rules or more you want to copy across.

(Or better still perhaps, all of the attribute names are automatically put into the Actor's attribute list).

:-)

Spiral Gyro Games

+1 for that :D