8.7 Update - On loading times...

MarkOnTheIronMarkOnTheIron Member Posts: 1,447
edited November -1 in Tech Support
Has anyone noticed an amazingly fast loading time with games compiled with the last update?

I did!

Well not on every game. I tested on three and here's what I got:

1) A Plinky Game!

Loading time before: 15 to 20 secs
Loading time after: 5 to 7 secs!
Notes: 100 scenes, 50 actors (2 of them heavy ruled), 10 ogg sounds, some scenes with 100+ instances, all images png 24, 1 orientation

2) Hackalloon

Loading time before: 15 to 20 secs
Loading time after: 4 to 6 secs!
Notes: 8 scenes, 25 actors, 2 ogg sounds, all images png 24, 1 orientation

3) Musician's Little Helper

Loading time before: 25 to 30 secs
Loading time after: 20 to 30 secs
Notes: 7 scenes, 70 actors (about 20 heavy ruled), 24 ogg sounds, 1 scene with 50+ instances many of them heavy ruled, all images png 24, 2 orientation

On #3 there's a predominance of heavy ruled actors all in one scene and I thinks that this is the cause for the longer loading time.

If you can test on other games maybe it's possible to isolate a common factor and have Gendai look into it.

\Going back to lurking (until I manage to get myself fired)

Comments

• design219design219 Member Posts: 2,273
    Wowza! I hope this holds true with released versions!
  • JamesZeppelinJamesZeppelin Member Posts: 1,927
    Should be the same on released version.

It does seem more than 100% faster.
  • gyroscopegyroscope I am here.Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 6,598
    Betterer and betterer! :-)

""You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike." - Zork        temp domain http://spidergriffin.wix.com/alphaghostapps

• beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Member Posts: 5,394
    Awesome work Gendai, load times are significantly better! I use a 3GS and my load times averaged about 12 seconds, they now average 4-5 seconds.
  • Rob2Rob2 Member Posts: 2,402
    This is interesting...just upped my 3GS to iOS4 and ALL GS games are loading in 4-5 seconds...but none of them can be later than 0.8.6 as I haven't updated an app in 10 days or more!!
  • PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    Loading times seem a lot better. Although, I'm working on a new game that's very light on graphics and sound. I'm starting to realize what GameSalad is more suited for... and wow... when used correctly, GameSalad performs rather well. Actually, it's highly impressive!
  • SparkyidrSparkyidr Member Posts: 2,033
    just updated Doodle Ski to 0.87... loads in around 4 secs now as opposed to 12-20 on 0.8.6 :)
  • VoidedSkyVoidedSky Member Posts: 1,095
    Wow those load times are like this:
    Windows PC: 5 min
    Mac: <1 min

Don't get me wrong, windows has its ups, but still, mac wins every time on boot up ;-)