GameSalad No Longer Opens My Project

PixcelPixcel Member Posts: 5

Today I was working on my project, closed it for a while, and came back to find now the project won't open.

When I try to open the project it says
"The document "__________" could not be opened. This version of GameSalad supports version 0.20 and earlier game projects. This file is version 0.21."

What I've tried so far:
• Completely uninstalling GameSalad (including preferences, etc), re-downloading the newest version, and reinstalling (done this three times)
• Opening older versions of the file from my Time Machine back-up
• Checking for updates, none
• Turning it off and on again, thanks Roy

I did try downloading the newest RC version, copying the project (just in case) and opening it with that. That works, but obviously I can't develop for release with that. I've never downloaded and installed an RC version before so I know that didn't cause it to begin with.

GameSalad ver. 0.11.1.11
Mac OSX 10.8.5

Thank you in advance

Comments

• LovejoyLovejoy Member Posts: 2,078

Release Candidate 12.6 is fine to develop on, and 12.7 will probably be released tomorrow with more bug fixes.

Fortuna Infortuna Forti Una

• PixcelPixcel Member Posts: 5
    edited October 2014

@raycur09 said:
    Release Candidate 12.6 is fine to develop on, and 12.7 will probably be released tomorrow with more bug fixes.

Ok, thank you for responding. When I opened RC for the first time today and saw those big red warning labels I was like "ok, nevermind. That's scary." >_<

• pHghostpHghost London, UKMember Posts: 2,342

@Pixcel said:
    I did try downloading the newest RC version, copying the project (just in case) and opening it with that. That works, but obviously I can't develop for release with that.

You can develop for release with that. All my games so far have been released using an RC version of GameSalad. The warning is there -- just -- I don't know really why it is so scary, but it is, the way it is worded. But there is nothing to be afraid of. The only thing with RC builds is that there generally still might be some bugs that need ironing out. But you can easily find out what the bugs are and if they don't relate to your game (e.g. if the bug has to do with tables and your game doesn't use tables), there is no problem using the RC. Basically, make your game, test it and if it works in ad-hoc, it will work when released.

All that said, as @raycur09‌ mentions, the next Stable release is just a day or so off, so you might as well wait, but in general there is no reason to freak out with an RC and while they might have bugs, they will also have the latest features that the Stable version does not have.

• PixcelPixcel Member Posts: 5

@pHghost said:
    All that said, as raycur09‌ mentions, the next Stable release is just a day or so off, so you might as well wait, but in general there is no reason to freak out with an RC and while they might have bugs, they will also have the latest features that the Stable version does not have.

I understand. I suppose it's just a way of covering their butts.