Slidy Platformer

jault01jault01 Member Posts: 25
edited November -1 in Tech Support
I know I am not the only one getting this issue, because the same problem happens in the platformer demo that comes with gamesalad. I am making a platformer. I have everything for my character working right, but as we all know, if you use move, acceleration doesn't work properly. For instance, I accelerate down to create gravity on my character. I also accelerate up to create a jump, which at some point cuts off so that the character falls. This works fine for jumping without moving. Moving left and right on the other hand screws this up, because it appears move and accelerate do not work together. Therefore I use accelerate for left and right movement, but this causes the character to continue moving after the button is released making it appear as though my character is on ice, which is not what I want. I can add more friction, but then acceleration needs to be turned up to counter this, which is then a problem as soon as the character jumps, because the friction is gone and the move way too fast left and right. So basically I am asking if anyone has found a good solution for creating a character that controls properly and can jump without problems. Thanks. My next thing to counteract acceleration is to add acceleration the opposite direction in an idle position. Not the best solution, but I would like to hear what others have done.

Comments

• jault01jault01 Member Posts: 25
    Figured it out. Just add a change velocity attribute to the "otherwise" area of the move left accel and move right accel and set the velocities to 0. Easy, simple, delicious, exciting, done. No more slippy feet. I got grip like a mofo.
  • AfterBurnettAfterBurnett Member Posts: 3,474
    Good idea :)