custom attribute description

bufteabuftea Member Posts: 43

Hello! Is there a way to write a short description for an attribute that I have created in the game? I know I can make notes for the actors , but I think that working with a more complicated game would be easier if I had some notes for my attributes also.

Now I have to look for my attribute in the actor's Backstage in order to see what it does or to find a note describing it's action.

Maybe place a new button next to the attribute type.

Or a more elegant solution, create a new folder in the "Behavior" window and thus be able to use the existing description window from there. Or even better allow us users to make our own folders in the "Behavior" window.

I'm not lazy (I think) it's just that it would be an improved workflow. Instead of creating a separate office document with a list of attributes and their description

Comments

• gyroscopegyroscope I am here.Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 6,598
    edited September 2014

Hi @buftea A nice idea tho' not sure GS will ever implement that...

The notepad at the side of you isn't such a bad idea... (you know, old technology.... !) - especially if you've a ton of attributes; you can see what attribute does what at a glance wherever you are in your game file.

A few things to consider too that'll help is by making the attribute names as descriptive as possible within the shortest length poss. (that last one because important info doesn't get hidden initially when looking at an attribute list in the Expression Editor).

Perhaps use the convention used by programmers in other type of programming: first word lower case, second and subsequent words initial caps, no word spaces. Also shortening the words but so thy still can be understood (even by yourself 3 months down the line...) Keep all attribute names that "belong" to each other with the same initial word too.

Example: you've some attributes concerning a radar scanner in a game, so radSweep, radCoord, radFreq, etc. For an attribute with a random value, I normally shorten it to rand, so randCoins, randPoints, etc., etc. (I often put an initial cap as well for the most used or more important attributes - ScoreFinal, ScoreLevel, etc. )

""You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike." - Zork        temp domain http://spidergriffin.wix.com/alphaghostapps

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

You should have a design document. I myself keep paper notes to refer to. Plus one learns to build naming conventions for things as you learn what works for you. I know right now it all seems greek but overtime it becomes second nature.

• bufteabuftea Member Posts: 43

It just came to me. At this moment.

The reason I don't really use name conventions is because I don't use a linear "creating"process. I'm more of a spontaneous "creator" :smiley: and the attribute names seem to suffer because of that . And also I suck at namegiving (my first pet was a male cat named Thomas ...)

The ideea I just had is this. I will create an actor called Notebook ... and in its backstage I will have my "dictionary" of attributes using "Note". When I use an app, I like to keep everything in the same place.

PS I m not a programmer , I hope this helps others like me. This way one never loses his ideeas or has to retake the initial steps in order to change a thing or two. And it's so much easier when you can't lose your draft document :smiley:

• gyroscopegyroscope I am here.Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 6,598
    edited September 2014

Nice idea! But if you're going to do that, i.e you really want the attribute names and their uses on-screen, why not use a TextEdit file - that way you can have it on-screen all the time next to your GSC file, wherever you are in it....

Btw, spontaneous creation is great - nothing wrong with that - but still, taking a few seconds each to pick the right attribute name shouldn't stop your creative flow (and probably will help it)... and you'll be glad you did at the end of it when you've a ton of attributes! :smile:

""You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike." - Zork        temp domain http://spidergriffin.wix.com/alphaghostapps

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

You will soon find out being organized is a must. Your code will be a mess.lol