New Game Maker launched called Build Box. Thoughts?

13»

Comments

• WbokoWboko Tennessee, USAMember, PRO Posts: 621

@The_Gamesalad_Guru said:
    Rather than waste time switching to another engine, why not just learn to code? If I was going to switch to another engine I would opt for Unity or some other more powerful engine. Any software has a learning curve. It seems to me folks are always searching for an easy way.

I am digging the new Swift form Apple for XCode!!!!

• AfterBurnettAfterBurnett Member Posts: 3,474
    edited October 2014

@Wboko said:
    I am digging the new Swift form Apple for XCode!!!!

I had a quick look at it but decided there's no point, as it's useless for anything other than Apple software development. I've thought about doing games in C/C++ but there's just no point when dev kits these days make it sooooo much quicker, especially when it comes to physics and cross-platform compilation.

@POLYGAMe said:

Apple's App Store generated 85% more revenue than Google Play in Q1 2014...

The numbers may of changed a little since the first part of the year, but I am not sure it was not that much...

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Apples-App-Store-generated-85-more-revenue-than-Google-Play-in-Q1-2014_id55240

Has anyone had better sales on Android then Apple???

@Wboko said:
    Has anyone had better sales on Android then Apple???

Yup. My game Get Gravel did vastly better on Android. In fact, it still performs well there a year after release, yet I'm lucky to get a single download on iOS.

They may have 85% more revenue but that doesn't work out the same for developers, as (I'm guessing) more developers make stuff for iOS and ignore Android.

And why not distribute to as many outlets as possible? Why limit yourself? :)

• AlchimiaStudiosAlchimiaStudios Member Posts: 1,069

@POLYGAMe said:

Wise words. If you can easily release on multiple platforms, go for it.

Follow us: Twitter - Website

• LovejoyLovejoy Member Posts: 2,078

@POLYGAMe said:

Exactly! Developers seem to forget there is an Amazon and NOOK AppStore as well. Apple is pretty conquered by the big boys and its a lot harder to stand out as an indie.

Fortuna Infortuna Forti Una

I will give you the fact it makes sense to publish to multiple platforms, but GS is just not completely there yet as far as function the same as a dedicated SDK.

You can build an awesome game and still have issues trying to make it work on multiple platforms with GS. I feel like I spend more time tweaking a game to fit multiple platforms that the fun is almost gone when I finally get it completed.

Plus, when I have clients looking to build apps for their company, I have very few ask if any for an app to be built on anything other then Apple... And in this world Apple's new Swift is something to check out.

Other then that, @The_Gamesalad_Guru‌ is right and you should learn to write some real code and stop think you are game developers because you can throw a game out there with GS. @Black Cloak is the one that is really coding our games...lol

• saulytesaulyte Member Posts: 2

@colander Well, I though it was no harm to mention it since it's a thread about BB, and it's a competitor... Sorry for that. :)

@Wboko said:
    I will give you the fact it makes sense to publish to multiple platforms, but GS is just not completely there yet as far as function the same as a dedicated SDK.

You can build an awesome game and still have issues trying to make it work on multiple platforms with GS. I feel like I spend more time tweaking a game to fit multiple platforms that the fun is almost gone when I finally get it completed.

Plus, when I have clients looking to build apps for their company, I have very few ask if any for an app to be built on anything other then Apple... And in this world Apple's new Swift is something to check out.

Other then that, The_Gamesalad_Guru‌ is right and you should learn to write some real code and stop think you are game developers because you can throw a game out there with GS. Black Cloak is the one that is really coding our games...lol

I haven't used GS since my first game, so wouldn't know how easy/difficult multi-platform publishing is there. I was just referring to how Swift limits you to iOS only. :)

• motorcycle boymotorcycle boy Member Posts: 429
    edited October 2014

@saulyte‌ indeed a post about BB but def not one trying to get people to use it. I also noticed that your very first post on GS forums is about your company and your software. ;)

• wrhmediawrhmedia Member Posts: 70

I have started the process of Learning Swift for Xcode.. it opens up new opportunities for developers to create some of the highest paid app categories outside of games. With new developments it will be possible to convert iOS code to Android easily..

• hoadncomhoadncom Member Posts: 14
    edited February 2015

Very interesting post!
    thanks @Tiny_Ideas i have learn a lot from your perspective :)
    My Pro membership with GS has just ended, i haven't got much time for GS and more over i am really tired waiting GS to support Admob.
    I am about like Buildbox because it more simple and easy. You can have your control over your code especially as Android Developer like me. It's will export to an android source code for you to import to eclips.

• Thunder_ChildThunder_Child Member Posts: 2,343
    edited February 2015

$2600...no thank you...$1000....pass....$400....mmmmmcould be considered.

Im game for a new easy way.
    The dumber I'm allowed to be...great for me.

Now...GS is very good at that...not completely..its been a rough road for me (learning curve) but Id love a software that had fixed options...no extra adding of math inside expressions...click...works...done...thats me.

ME...

• GdoggGdogg Member Posts: 95

i got a 15 day trial, anyone can just register a trial, I must say it is extremely limited to what you can do, I wouldn't pay that sort of money because its simply not worth it.. gamesalad is far more better in every way as a game creation software, i do wish however that some day gamesalad will have a one of purchase, so no more reoccurring pro membership bill each year would be a nice feature

• Thunder_ChildThunder_Child Member Posts: 2,343

@Gdogg said:
    i got a 15 day trial, anyone can just register a trial, I must say it is extremely limited to what you can do, I wouldn't pay that sort of money because its simply not worth it.. gamesalad is far more better in every way as a game creation software, i do wish however that some day gamesalad will have a one of purchase, so no more reoccurring pro membership bill each year would be a nice feature

Someone with GameSalad said one pro membership pays for one hour of coding....I'd love a one price software also...but GS would go under soon after I believe. Unfortunately there are new bugs I have found in the new Mac build. Scrolling images in the inspector make GS freeze for about 3-5 minutes. Luckily it unfreezes so you can save progress...close the project...force quit GS "still" and start over.

My point is they aren't able to have the money to create a finished product...let alone charge a one time fee.

• ant_ladant_lad Member Posts: 222

BB is crap and so is Trey's 'marketing'
    Releasing the same software over and over at different prices and forcing those who bought the previous to then buy the 'new' same product is a ripoff/scam.
    Find out how much it costs them to have the same company that released Flappy Bird to release his apps. Money vs downloads is a good place to look as well

• A_ConstantinA_Constantin EnglandMember Posts: 79

BuildBox is only useful if your game is going to be a generic platformer, endless runner, Flappy clone or if your game matches the templates they offer. You cannot customise actions or objects. And of course, the price is way more than it should be.
    The only positive things to say about it is its scene editor, monetisation and collision editor (which is a main aspect GameSalad lacks).

• LovejoyLovejoy Member Posts: 2,078

@Gdogg said:
    gamesalad is far more better in every way as a game creation software

Not in every way, but better overall id say yes.

@ant_lad said:
    BB is crap and so is Trey's 'marketing'

Trey is a great marketer. I don't disagree that he has sleezy and scammy ways, but great non the less.

Fortuna Infortuna Forti Una

• CaptFinnCaptFinn Member Posts: 1,828
    edited June 2015

lets all pitch in and collect 2600$ and pay GS a 1 time fee to import the collision editor into GS.

GS does this but doesnt do that. BuildBox does that but doesnt do this.

Let get GS and BuildBox a room and let them make some whoopie.

• RipoffcompaniesRipoffcompanies Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2015

@Tiny_Ideas said:
    This all sort of demonstrates a point - I support GS - It is my chosen Game engine - See the PRO Badge. But thats not too say I don't have subscriptions to their competitors as well.

Everyone - in a general term - is mostly likely to disagree - thats fine - It doesn't effect me in the slightest - expect the attitudes of different people. Thats what my focus study lies on and understand what angers people, makes them agree - disagree and make them see a different point of view.

There is no correct opinion - just because i disagree doesn't mean I am correct - and just because you disagree doesn't make me wrong.

Do you know about BuildBox
    Are you are developer?
    Did you do some research to find out about it because you were interested?
    Were you influenced by several negative complaints.
    Were you influenced by the positive reviews?

Its questions like these that you are most likely gong to answer yes, yes, yes , yes and no.
    Positive responses dont gain attractive - its sad but true. Hence my theory about BuildBOX.

However I feel most of the disagree with the price statements in relation to GS.

• Let me know how you disagree - I am interested to know how people think. Its only going to make me think outside the box more often.

I am also in no way supporting BuildBox - I am just stating that chances are its going to be a real competition. Whether or not you think so we may never know. But at the moment no one has provided a reason as to why the actual product BuildBOX is bad.

You have spent less than a day with it - I did the same with GameSalad and didn't know how to do a thing except make some actor move around.

Unless someone can state some bad things about it that is creditable than I stand by my post that there is nothing wrong with BuildBox except their chosen price strategy.

It takes a person a year on average to get familiar with GS - Why should it be less with the BuildBox?

• RipoffcompaniesRipoffcompanies Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2015

@JSproject said:
    It's quite easy to shoot down basically every single point Jeromy tried to make but it's simply not worth my time to get into such a pointless debate.

• AdiozaprodAdiozaprod Member, PRO Posts: 4
    edited August 2015

I've actually been using BB mostly for the past few months. Though it can't do a lot, what it does do it does extremely well and quickly. Price is high but it took my dev time down 90%. Took the headache of game dev down by 90% as well. That makes the price 100% worth it in my book. I'm 99% happy with it. One game I made with it has nabbed me a publishing deal which is very exciting. Haven't been on the forums here in a while. Looks like things have happened that are very disappointing. Shout out to @DeepBlueApps. You've always been very helpful in any private communications we've had and I think you are 100% A OK in my book. Sad to learn about your recent news.

• AdiozaprodAdiozaprod Member, PRO Posts: 4

Forgot I was logged in under my partner's account. I'm dreichelt.

• GameAlchemistGameAlchemist Member Posts: 106

@FINNBOGG said:
    lets all pitch in and collect 2600$ and pay GS a 1 time fee to import the collision editor into GS.

GS does this but doesnt do that. BuildBox does that but doesnt do this.

Let get GS and BuildBox a room and let them make some whoopie.

Im in! Hehe :wink:

• famekraftsfamekrafts Member, BASIC Posts: 834

This was in 2014 - 2015. Any new updates here about build box?

• samuisamui Member Posts: 6

Looks not bad

• samuisamui Member Posts: 6
    edited September 2020

I think it will be interesting to create app for smartphone in gaming mode. It will be interesting startups in healthcare sector because now medical apps are popular and important to patients and doctors. So I have already some ideas about my future project.

• elhood1991elhood1991 Member Posts: 1

If you are thinking of creating a mobile fitness app, look through some trends in 2022 https://orangesoft.co/blog/fitness-app-ideas. There are no set rules for building a successful fitness app, but there is various functionality that you can add to your fitness app to win over users. I'm sure you can find some tips that will help bring your idea to life.

• mikebligh2mikebligh2 Member Posts: 1
    edited February 25

Exciting to see Buildbox stirring up the game dev scene! For anyone delving into mobile game creation, synergy between tools like Buildbox and a robust development lifecycle is key. Check out this breakdown for deeper insights Mobile App Development Lifecycle: A Comprehensive Guide to Creating Successful Applications. Happy developing! 🎮✨