Functions Explained?

MccccccMcccccc Member Posts: 26

Hello guys,
is there somewhere a brief explanation for all the 43 functions of GameSalad? Just a few words about what they do. In the manual and cookbook only a few of them are mentioned.
Thanks!

Comments

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

Most of them are common math functions just look them up online.

• Andrea_ComisiAndrea_Comisi ItalyMember Posts: 328

I got the same question!! And in wich case we must use they?

• MccccccMcccccc Member Posts: 26

Thanks all! And particularly @colander!!! I missed them from the Glossary when I started studying! It treats functions after all other terms, starting again the alphabetical order at the end! How to hide words in a Glossary!!! :smiley: An asterisk in the letter "F" could be added explaining where all the functions' definitions are listed.

Anyway, the list isn't complete, in fact for Example the functions tableColNumber or tableMergeValues, or textReplace and so on… aren't listed.

Another thing. When talking about return values many of us know how much a detail can save or make waste A LOT of time:
    To the precision (function) should be added "it returns text, not a number" as explained in the roundTo(function)

• colandercolander Member Posts: 1,610

@Mcccccc said:
    Thanks all! And particularly colander!!! I missed them from the Glossary when I started studying! It treats functions after all other terms, starting again the alphabetical order at the end! How to hide words in a Glossary!!! :smiley: An asterisk in the letter "F" could be added explaining where all the functions' definitions are listed.

Anyway, the list isn't complete, in fact for Example the functions tableColNumber or tableMergeValues, or textReplace and so on… aren't listed.

Another thing. When talking about return values many of us know how much a detail can save or make waste A LOT of time:
    To the precision (function) should be added "it returns text, not a number" as explained in the roundTo(function)

@ForumNinja

• ForumNinjaForumNinja Key Master, Head Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 554

@Mcccccc‌ It is quite confusing I agree. I've been working some on rearranging it and getting some of the definitions put in that aren't already there. It should be better in the future!

• The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922

There are videos at GS helper that show how to use the table functions.

• MccccccMcccccc Member Posts: 26

Oh, @ForumNinja are you responsible for the cookbook? It's a honor! :smiley: So are we encouraged to post suggestions on your page? :smiley:

Even if a few details need to be rearranged it already is a very good job: clear and concise… that's effective. Probably something more could be done conceptually, to give absolute beginners a better idea about the big picture, how the whole thing works in general. I a bit late realized the similarities between actors and objects, attributes and variables, behaviors and functions… I studied on my own just a few very-general programming concepts, but what about absolute-absolute-beginners?

• ForumNinjaForumNinja Key Master, Head Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 554

@Mcccccc‌ I'm not the one who wrote the cookbook or came up with the idea of creating it. However, since the cookbook was changed recently, and people were upset that it didn't have the "Definitions" page anymore, I worked on getting it added to the updated cookbook :) That's why the definitions and whatnot are out of date as well.

I'd say suggestions, opinions, questions, and issues/problems are all welcome/encouraged on the forums :)

We tried to make the cookbook easy for even beginners to understand, but I'm aware that it can be a little confusing. I personally think that the best way to learn something new is through research and practice until you get those "A HA that's how that works!" moments.

As others have already said. There's lots of great 3rd party videos and templates to aid beginners and PRO's alike in understanding different concepts in GameSalad.