Macbook Pro vs Macbook Air for GS and other stuff?

mhedgesmhedges Raised on VCSMember Posts: 634

Hello -

I currently use a Mac Mini (the first year without a Superdrive, pardon my memory) for "coding" in GameSalad plus all other stuff as my desktop.

I was pondering changing laptops (I have a Lenovo G530 which has served me admirably). If you know your Macs, you know the Mac Mini is a cleverly disguised laptop, so it can handle GS well. But the MBP and the MBA have changed since the Mini (and GS) came out.

That said, would you recommend one over the other for GS (and XCode)? I'd also consider a dual boot configuration, so factor that into your reply. Thanks, regards.

Comments

• crestwoodgamescrestwoodgames Member Posts: 191

I use a 2012 MBAir. I did up the RAM to 8gb. I run adobe illustrator and have run photoshop easily. I use to say go with the larger HD, but I don't even use to 256gb I have. I store my files in the cloud for redundancy and version control. I have an external monitor going to my lightning port when at my desk. It is amazing what the air can do.

• drs997drs997 Member, PRO Posts: 27

I'm using an air too. Really impressed with performance.

• tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934

Both pro and air will handle GS just fine. We have a pro and an air and to be honest until the ssd upgrade on the MBP the air ran GS better. Pretty much anything that is compatable with GS is going to run it just fine and it will be great if it's and ssd inside.

Cheers