Monthly (in Person and Online) GameSalad Meetup Tuesday August 5 at 7pm CST (12:00am GMT)

BlackCloakGSBlackCloakGS Member, PRO Posts: 2,250
edited August 2014 in GameSalad Kitchen

Come learn about GameSalad and meet other GameSalad creators. Chat with some of the developers behind GameSalad, including GameSalad's own Jonathan Samn (better known to some of you as CodeMonkey), Alan Uthoff (a.k.a. BlackCloakGS), Tan Tran (a.k.a. adent42)

Topic: Brian Hapgood will be presenting: GameSalad Graphics Optimizations

Learn how to optimize your game for the GameSalad render pipeline.

If you can't join us in person, join us online

Comments

• BlackCloakGSBlackCloakGS Member, PRO Posts: 2,250
    edited July 2014

Here is the last monthly meetup.
    here is a link to last month

bump reminder

• scottharrrules43scottharrrules43 Tulsa, OklahomaMember, PRO Posts: 694

@BlackCloakGS‌ , if there is time can u talk about how play together will be used and how to use play together

edited July 2014

bump next tuesday.
    @scottharrrules43‌ steve is going to present how use play together at the GameSalad meetup in November.

Friendly reminder this coming Tuesday Aug 5, come learn how to make your image work better in GameSalad.
    Still lots of slots open to register for the webinar.

• colandercolander Member Posts: 1,610

I will be there online. I have been to them all so far and can recommend it to anyone who is thinking about attending. It is a good place to get answers to questions that can be hard to get anywhere else.

• scottharrrules43scottharrrules43 Tulsa, OklahomaMember, PRO Posts: 694

@colander said:
    I will be there online. I have been to them all so far and can recommend it to anyone who is thinking about attending. It is a good place to get answers to questions that can be hard to get anywhere else.

This is true

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

Registered to attend online. Looking forward to listening to you guys once more. Keen to find out more about the new image handling and Play Together.

edited August 2014

Still have many slots open its going to be a great meeting. If you ever wanted to know how to make your images work better in game salad this is the meetup for you.

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,273

Registered and am looking forward to it!

In 1 hour.

Interesting listening. I must admit that not being a programmer, a lot of what Brian explained was over my head. I guess when 0.12 becomes a stable release you will explain to us in "graphic artist terminology" what size to make our images.

• colandercolander Member Posts: 1,610

@PhilipCC said:
    Interesting listening. I must admit that not being a programmer, a lot of what Brian explained was over my head. I guess when 0.12 becomes a stable release you will explain to us in "graphic artist terminology" what size to make our images.

I am in the same boat I know just enough to be aware of how little I really know. @BlackCloakGS I can see explaining this to everyone could be a huge headache for GS and its users. You will be answering the same questions asked in different ways hundreds of times.

I assume there will be a sticky which spells out what we have to do with our images to work with the new system. When you write this please assume we know nothing and write it like your explaining it to a five year old. :)

• HopscotchHopscotch Member, PRO Posts: 2,782
    edited August 2014

Great talk GS. Can't wait to play with the new engine!

To expand on my question related to making certain data available, here a long ago post from @CodeWizard‌:

@CodeWizard said:

When you install or run Apps or Games developed with GameSalad, we may collect some or all of the following information about the App or Game and your device hardware and software:

• GameSalad App ID
    • Platform App ID
    • GameSalad User ID of the user that created the Application
    • Version of GameSalad Creator used to create the Application
    • Device Model and Manufacturer
    • Device OS version
    • Network and Carrier
    • IP Address
    • Device Locale Country and Language
    • Device Memory
    • Unique Device Identifier
    • Application Events

We collect this data for quality assurance purposes and to support the internal operations of our platform.

then

@CodeWizard said:
    We have the data... and also have some work done on a system to allow you to view this data yourself. But it's not ready yet.

This was in November in this thread http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/comment/478380#Comment_478380

Any news on this? Linked to the networking features, making some of this available would be an awesome addition, really opening many possibilities.

Specifically:

• Device Model and Manufacturer
    • Device OS version
  • ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,334
    edited August 2014

@Hopscotch said:

This would make localisation so much easier. Well remembered!

I wasn't able to make this meetup, but really looking forward to seeing the recording!

edited August 2014

@colander‌ & @BlackCloakGS‌ .

I must intervene here... aside of our concerns.

Brian Hapgood did a wonderful job of presenting and explaining the "backend code" stuff regarding images, even though I don't understand much of it.

Thank you Brian... And I really mean it.

GS Creator is meant for non-programmers, right?

So, some of us "dummies", even Pro Members, need a little help with technical explanations of some stuff.

A few graphics that depict what we are being shown and told, in particular with the upcoming image resolution requirements, would be really helpful.

• HopscotchHopscotch Member, PRO Posts: 2,782

@PhillipCC, I agree, it was a great presentation and the optimisation around 64x64 blocks make good sense.

Questions that I was left with were around the retina/non-retina issue. Retina-resolution was treated almost as an aside even though all development for cross platform projects currently target retina during development. I attribute this to the fact that Brian probably focusses on the device side implementation for the individual operating systems currently. Prepping for resolution independence happens before that.

As I understood it, we would now have to include two sets of graphic sizes (the larger retina images marked with ..@2x.png) like in other development tools.

I am hoping (and guessing that GS is probably looking into this?) that the current system, where GS does the prepping of images for both retina and non-retina when resolution independence is ticked, will also be implemented in future. If so, does that mean that we should always focus our optimisation based on a 128x128 grid for resolution independence?