Viewer and iPhone not connecting

FetaboyFetaboy Member, PRO Posts: 191
edited November -1 in Tech Support
Mac and iPhone are on my home wifi network (verizon fios). I verified the phone is indeed using wifi and not the 3g network. I select 'Preview on iPhone' from gamesalad on my mac, then select 'iPhone' as the device. I have the gamesalad viewer open on my phone.

On the mac, gamesalad is stuck at 'Connecting to Device'. On the iphone, it's stuck at 'Waiting for Connection'.

Any ideas?

Comments

• CodeMonkeyCodeMonkey Head Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 1,803
    Might be something blocked by your firewall. I'll check what needs to be opened.

Workaround for now: I think you can create a network with your mac and connect through that.
  • FetaboyFetaboy Member, PRO Posts: 191
    It must be something in the firewall. I created a network with my Mac as you said, and all is well.
  • dandan Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 28
    Gamesalad uses Bonjour ( apple's network discovery protocol ) to connect gamesalad creator and viewer. For it to work, your router needs:
    1. Multicast enabled
    2. Allow incoming connections from devices on the local network
    Enabling these usually fixes the problem.
    If not, post your router make and model
    It's a verizon fios actiontec router. Model MI424WR-GEN2 Version E.

I figured out how to enable multicast. I'm not sure how to do #2.

Without using a newly created network on the mac and sticking to my home wifi network, I run gamesalad on the mac. When I start up the viewer on the iphone , the viewer icon pops up in gamesalad, so I know the mac and iphone are seeing each other. However it's still hanging at the 'connecting' phase on gamesalad and 'waiting for connection' on the viewer app.
  • dandan Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 28
    So it is almost certainly the firewall blocking the connection.
    Check out the firewall settings, and see if there is an option to turn off the "Stateful Packet Inspection" (SPI) firewall.

If disabling SPI doesn't work, you could post a screenshot of the firewall configuration panel and that might give some more clues...
    Still trying to figure this out without creating a new network via the mac. Does anyone else have Fios and have this working?
  • TboneTbone Member Posts: 49
    Hi,

Having trouble getting GameSalad Viewer 6.0.1 to see my Iphone. My mac shows up in the available list but not my phone.

My router is a wireless Netgear DG834G. I've had a look through but don't know where
    to find the enable multicast option.

Any help would be much appreciated.
  • streetCapstreetCap Member Posts: 1
    Please help my router is Z100G ZoneAlarm router. Thanks.
  • HunnenkoenigHunnenkoenig Member Posts: 1,173
    Same problem like the OP.

on my iPhone: "GameSalad creator not found on the network.

Router is a TP link router. I can't find such settings described above.

Firewall is disabled on the router.
  • NexusGameStudioNexusGameStudio Member Posts: 265
    I am having the same issue, I get the issue where "GameSalad creator not found on network". I am using a Linksys WRT54G router, I've played around with some of the security settings as stated above but to no success. Anyone have any suggestions to get this up and running?
  • firemaplegamesfiremaplegames Member Posts: 3,211
    Just to make sure:

Both your computer and device are both connected to the same WiFi
    Launch GameSalad Creator.
    Launch your game project.
    Lauch GS Viewer on the device.
    Wait a few seconds.
    A "Preview on iPhone" button will appear next to the green Preview Arrow in GS creator.

The only time this doesn't work for me is when both devices are not on the same WiFi...
  • JamesZeppelinJamesZeppelin Member Posts: 1,927
    I have never actually seen my iphone, ipod or ipad show up as a preview option.
    Only my mac shows up when the viewer is running in xcode.
    I just always assumed there was some sort of firewall issue.
    I guess i havent put too much effort into it but after reading this it has me curious.
    Am i actually supposed to have some sort of IPA file from GS installed on my device as well?
  • firemaplegamesfiremaplegames Member Posts: 3,211
    James:

The GS Viewer is one of the coolest features of GameSalad! You should definitely try to get it working.

You download the GS Viewer XCode project from the website on the "Manage your iPhone Projects" button at the top. The orange button. Sometimes it incorrectly says "Make iPhone games". Just click it twice to go to the correct page.

Download the project.

You need to create a development provisioning profile and an appID for it. Follow the instructions on the page exactly.

You will use this process to create the GS Viewer App.

Install the app onto your device through iTunes.

With the Viewer, you can instantly test your games on a device wirelessly - there is no need to make a published build to test the game.

Not only can you instantly test on a device, but it shows you the FPS, RAM usage, and other important info.

You can also test your game on several different devices.
  • JamesZeppelinJamesZeppelin Member Posts: 1,927
    thanks joe

ill mess around with it some more until i get it to work

I have kept up with the current version and made an ID, just never put the app on my iphone ><
  • zinapsezinapse Member Posts: 34
    Hi all,

I have been using "Window > Organiser" in the Game Salad Viewer XCODE project and then clicking the "+" under "Applications" to add my built apps to my iPad for testing as I couldn't get the preview on ipad to show up.
    However I just tried to add my third project and something has got confused as it keeps asking me if I want to replace the previous project's app even though this is a completely different project. I have even had an occasion where one app's icon is on the iPad but it launches the other project!

So I thought I would try and get the viewer working but I have no idea how to set up multicast and allowing incoming connections on my Netgear DG834N so would appreciate some help please.

At the moment I have no way of testing my latest game on the iPad.
    Well I think I have found out how to set up multicast on the Netgear DG834N but the creator is still saying "GameSalad Creator not Found on Network".

I thought I would share what I did though in case it helps others:

Log in to the router (usually 192.18.0.1 from a browser), go to "LAN IP Setup", change "RIP Direction" to "both" and change "RIP Version" to "RIP-2M".
    Sorry for the blast of posts here - there is so much to try and figure out - I think someone needs to write an "Idiots Guide to GameSalad"!

Anyway after reading more posts on the forum I realised why my game was overwriting the old one - you need to have a separate provisioning id for each game. I did that then uninstalled all my games from the iPad and generated them with the relevant provisioning ids and voila!

I would really like to get the viewer working though so any help with that based on my previous posts would be much appreciated.
  • sebababisebababi Member Posts: 51
    I don't see the "Preview on iPhone" button in GameSalad Creator, is this because I'm not a certified developer?
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    This thread is so old the information is bad.

You need to be logged into the app for preview teo work, this has been asked and answered many times
This discussion has been closed.