Gamesalad (Windows) Crashing when trying to play game.

dionhicksdionhicks Member Posts: 8

Hey everyone, I'm having quite a bit of trouble getting Gamesalad to work. First off I'm having the same issue with updating that many people are, but that's not a big deal since I have the latest version (10.5) anyway. My biggest concern is that when I hit the play button to simulate a game, Gamesalad crashes. It doesn't matter if the game is blank, if various components have been added to it or if it's a template that I downloaded from the cookbook, it always crashes. I have tried running Gamesalad as an administrator to no avail. I've also tried running it using my on-board graphics card as well as my dedicated card, it crashes in both cases. If anyone has any ideas to help my remedy this situation I would greatly appreciate it.

Comments

• aaronforsteraaronforster Member Posts: 28

I posted the same problem too! It was as soon as I installed the latest version and I'd very much like to have it fixed too.

• jigglybeanjigglybean Member Posts: 1,584

Does it actually crash, or just hang? If it hangs, just wait a few minutes(depending on how much RAM you have) and see if it loads up

Like Balls? Then click here! We've 100 coming soon

• dionhicksdionhicks Member Posts: 8

Yes it actually crashes. It says "Gamesalad has stopped working" and then when you hit close program it shuts down. My PC is an Alienware M14X if that matters at all.

I havent used 10.5 as I have mac version now and probably sticking with 10.4.1 because despite its faults, it was pretty stable. Maybe try a roll back to 10.4.1?

I have the problem with all versions currently up for download. I've installed and tried them all. I wish it was only the new version that was giving me problems. Thanks for the help though.

If its all of them, then you must be missing something on your lap top. Have you installed http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=5555 Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86)?

I would look at installing these from 2010, up to 2012 and the latest ones possible.

Thanks for the advice, though it still isn't working unfortunately. My 2010 was up-to-date and I installed 2012 and 2013 but it didn't fix it. I tried both the 10.5 and the 10.4.1 versions. Have any other ideas?

Have you tried another game? Download a free template and try that. If that works, then you know its something in your game

Yes I've tried two templates; Official Cross-Platform Controller Template and Alien Conquerors it still crashes. There aren't any preferences or anything that I can modify within Gamesalad that I can find, but maybe I'm not seeing something.

Running out of ideas really. Have you installed the 2008 Redistributables as well? I have those on my PC.

Failing that, remove Gamesalad totally from your PC - and then do a fresh install - even download the .exe file again.

Yes I have those, and I tried re-installing them with no luck. I have 2005,2008,2010,2012 and 2013 installed now. Did a fresh install again and it's still not working. It seems I'm not destined to use Gamesalad lol.

I really dont understand why. It should work. Mine works (10.4.1, havent used 10.5). Long shot - have you updated your graphic card and sound drivers?

• BlackCloakGSBlackCloakGS Member, PRO Posts: 2,250

I talk to QA they said the saw and similar issue with out dated video drivers which was fixed by updating the video card drivers. If you are having this issue can you tell me if you graphic card drivers are up to-date?

Also does your video card support OpenGL 3?

My video card driver was up-to-date but I tried updating to the newest beta, then to the second to last non-beta, and then finally back to the newest non-beta release which I started with. Nothing worked. Sound drivers are up-to-date as well and from what I can see the graphics card, NVIDIA Geforce GT 555m, supports OpenGL 4.2. I'm not sure if backwards compatibility with OpenGL 3 would be an issue. Thanks the help though!

@dionhicks what video card are you using?

I was able to get 0.10.5 alien conquerors to work on an intel HD 3000

If you guys send us dxdiag reports that would be the most helpfully way for us to track down this crash issue.

edited June 2014

I tried running it with the on-board Intel HD 3000 card and the NVIDIA Geforce GT 555m. I also updated every driver known to man on my PC and it still doesn't work lol. How can I send you the dxdiag report?

Create a support ticket and copy and paste it in there, or attach it.

edited June 2014

Thanks for all of the help! I've resubmitted my ticket with the dxdiag attached. Hopefully someone can find the solution to this problem.

• DarkdragDarkdrag Member Posts: 2

I hav thr same proplem 2 i cant test my games out and then i cant publish then HELP

I really don't know why you both cant get the Windows version to work. I'm using 10.4.1 mind you, on Windows 8.1

• cbouldcbould Member Posts: 4

i have the same problem a im on windows 7

• matinshahmatinshah Member Posts: 1

Same problem here. I just downloaded and installed it today. Tried to run the program and it just closed. What am i supposed to do ?

click on the link above

• playwriteplaywrite Member Posts: 4

is this about the bit of ur OS? cause before i dont have this problem but when i format my pc to 64 bit and reinstalled newest version of GS it starts acting weird.

GS Windows is pretty unstable. You need to save OFTEN and back up often prior to entering the viewer.