Flippin' Nora - why do we even bother with creating interesting games??!! ;-)

gyroscopegyroscope I am here.Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 6,598
edited June 2014 in Non-GS Game News

""You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike." - Zork        temp domain http://spidergriffin.wix.com/alphaghostapps

Comments

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271
    edited June 2014

sigh

I'm at a loss for words...

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822

@Braydon_SFX said:

"Yo" ?

edited June 2014

I quite like it, but it's not really a game, it's an experiment in social anthropology or a mobile meme or even a piece of art . . . or whatever . . . but it's not a game, I wouldn't use it, but I like the fact that these kinds of things exist.

[starts working on Yo clone template]

• gamestudentgamestudent Member Posts: 504

I like it too @socks. It has a certain attitude to it that I find quite interesting. Maybe because it's remarkably different from most other things?

• gyroscopegyroscope I am here.Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 6,598
    edited June 2014

@gamestudent said:
    I like it too @socks.

I like it too too! :smile: The thread heading was tongue-in-cheek to an extent... :wink:

Although I still think..

..is an awful lot of cash from investors and sort of a silly amount for what this is. It's not as though there's any new technology there... couldn't they have just copied the (very) simple principle and save their money? What I'm saying is, I'm not sure what they're actually investing in...

""You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike." - Zork        temp domain http://spidergriffin.wix.com/alphaghostapps

• BBEnkBBEnk Member Posts: 1,764

Well judging by the ridiculous prices companies are paying for apps these days, Facebook will probably buy this for 100 billion dollars.

Ha! You could be right, @BBEnk.. :smile:

• natzuurnatzuur Member Posts: 304

Rofl that's actually pretty awesome. But man those are some dumb investors... Or geniuses. One of the two.

• BazookaTimeBazookaTime Member Posts: 1,274

I don't get it but maybe this isn't geared towards someone like me.

• StormyStudioStormyStudio United KingdomMember Posts: 3,989
    edited June 2014

Simple idea, but it does have a certain appeal.

1 million is more than a little crazy though. Especially if what makes it cool is its
    simplicity.. when they start trying to make money from it, it could well lose its appeal.

But then I thought twitter was too simple, and snap chat, and instagram... so I definitely know nothing.

I guess they're buying into what is a successful app and the potential for what it could be.

If they keep the simple 'yo' sending ability with two taps... hmmm

... runs off to make... 'boh!' and 'oie'

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408

Gotta say, wish I thought of it. It's the casual stuff that does well more often than not.

@jonmulcahy said:
    Gotta say, wish I thought of it. It's the casual stuff that does well more often than not.

Yo.

:smiley:

• imGuaimGua Member Posts: 1,089
    edited June 2014

@gyroscope said:
    Flippin' Nora - why do we even bother with creating interesting games??!! ;-)

Because this is a corner case. If you will make a crappy small app, my bet is that you will fail, with 99.99% probability. Also I want to point out, that idea of that app isn't that bad.

Also I bother with creating interesting games, because a love to create worlds, the app in this example is basically just a software.

edited June 2014

Fine sentiments, @imGua but I'll quote myself from an earlier post on this thread:

@gyroscope said:
    I like it too too! :smile: The thread heading was tongue-in-cheek to an extent... :wink:

The --wink-- at the end of the title indicates a sense of humour, "if you will" - implying there's no need for an explanation. (Except for the question later which was what is it that investors are actually investing in).

I'll try my bestest not to make a crappy small app, cheers; you carry on with creating your interesting games you make with so much bother. With a software. Yo.

• CodeCellCodeCell Member Posts: 90
    edited June 2014

Well, if you look at it this way, It takes Two Taps to send it. Why not One. Seriously, thats a 2 million dollar idea just there.... You're welcome.

• TosanuTosanu Member, PRO Posts: 388

Un-flipping-believable. I think I just got a nosebleed from reading that article.

edited June 2014

@CodeCell said:
    Well, if you look at it this way, It takes Two Taps to send it. Why not One. Seriously, thats a 2 million dollar idea just there.... Your welcome.

@Tosanu said:
    Un-flipping-believable. I think I just got a nosebleed from reading that article.

Ha and Ha! :smiley:

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772

It's crazy what makes big money! Just seems like a big crap shoot, if you get lucky you make some serious dollars, if you don't get lucky you just hand around with the rest of the crowd.

That's why I'll continue to just make what I feel like at the time, for fun. If I get lucky with some real money some day it will just be that much more exciting. :)

@jamie_c

Hi Jamie, really good way of thinking for certain; I try to think the same way too:

Make apps and games for the love it and if any make any money that'd be great. At least that way, we're not disappointed too much! :smile:

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772

@gyroscope, yeah, I'm sure it's somewhat of a defense mechanism on my part to avoid disappointment. :)

But I do enjoy just making games and creating anything really so I'll keep it up even if I never get rich from it.

• EOSEOS Member Posts: 74

I wonder if this was an attempt (and success!) to purposely make/market a useless viral app in order to gain a large user base, then leverage those users with a more monetizable app from the same company in the near future.

@CodeCell said:
    Well, if you look at it this way, It takes Two Taps to send it. Why not One. Seriously, thats a 2 million dollar idea just there.... Your welcome.

...I'm sorry...I had to.

• motorcycle boymotorcycle boy Member Posts: 429

@Braydon_SFX said:
    sigh

@Braydon_SFX said:
    sigh

That's fine because all you need is a "yo!"

@dreichelt said:
    That's fine because all you need is a "yo!"

True. True. :P

Hey if that's what the public wants, start thinking of tons of apps you can code in 8 hours and pop em up people! Head shaking will do no good. Emulate emulate emulate!!!

I think we should all have two mindsets. the mindset of making money, if that is why you make games, and the mindset of just making games that you enjoy. That way you will for sure make money at this as well as have a chance to be artistic. Currently I'm just developing apps I know have a chance at making money since I emulate. Where do you think Angry Birds came from? Def no one's original idea! They took "Crush the Castle" and change the graphics. Wala! Multibillion dollar company. Just emulate, make some good money, and then do the artistic ideas in your head. that's my plan at least.

• CodeCellCodeCell Member Posts: 90
    edited June 2014

There is always that one person..... :p
    @Braydon_SFX‌

@CodeCell‌ - Yeah, but only on certain days. :D