E3 2014

UtopianGamesUtopianGames Member Posts: 5,692

Anything caught your eye this year?

Grim Fandango was a nice surprise we loved that game on PC.

Oddworld New and Tasty is one my girlfriend is really looking forward too.

Tom Clancy's The Division looks awesome.

Yoshi's Wooly World looks beautiful.

Also like the look of Sunset Overdrive.

Darren.

Comments

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,334

I saw nothing that interested me in any of the big presentations :( I'll buy a new Mass Effect game, but all they really did was announce they were making one. I'll probably love the new Battlefront game but what they showed didn't excite me. I fear they're going to overcomplicate it.

Oh well, I'm hard to please.

• scottharrrules43scottharrrules43 Tulsa, OklahomaMember, PRO Posts: 694

That 100 dollor mini playstation tv looks very interesting and did like the star fox teaser. Man xbox played it to safe this year and did not do anything but show games off.

• LumpAppsLumpApps Member Posts: 2,880

Nintendo is on the roll. I can see a Wii U in my future

• jigglybeanjigglybean Member Posts: 1,584

Im looking at a new RTS - Grey Goo and have kindly been given an invite for closed beta (know the people making it over at Petroglyph games) - lots of Command & Conquer veterans and its looking fun.

Like Balls? Then click here! We've 100 coming soon

• FetaboyFetaboy Member, PRO Posts: 191

Loved Far Cry 3, looks like I might have to pick up 4 in November. Will also need to get GTA V pc (bought it on the ps3, but stopped playing to wait for the pc version).

• SingleSparqSingleSparq Member Posts: 1,339

The Division is the closest thing I'm getting to Socom so really looking forward to it.

• iamcarteziamcartez Houston, TexasMember Posts: 648

Nintendo won. I can't wait for Super Smash Bros! I may actually get a Wii U.

• imGuaimGua Member Posts: 1,089
    edited June 2014

Division, Far Cry 4, Homefront 2, Hotline Miami 2 and bunch of other indies. Really glad that shooters started to move into open world direction. I will also probably play in The Evil Within. Glad that they are making Mass Effect 4.

@imGua said:
    Really glad that shooters started to move into open world direction.

I'm the opposite :( I miss corridor shooters. I want to either shoot things, or explore. If I'm asked to do both I just get lost and bored...

I prefer a shooter like Prey over one like Far Cry 3 any day.

Sadly I'm increasingly in the minority :( I just hope they don't make Doom 4 open world!

• imGuaimGua Member Posts: 1,089
    edited June 2014

@Armelline said:

You miss corridor shooters? But why? I mean, absolute majority of first person shooters are linear, there's plenty linear shooters for you too play.

p.s. I don't think you're in minority. Even now, for every open world fps that comes out, there like 10 linear fps'es being released.

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271

I haven't had a whole lot of time to look into what has been announced. However, I did see a game called No Man's Sky, or something like that. I could Def see me playing that game. Looks very neat and I like the art style they chose to go with it.

• gyroscopegyroscope I am here.Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 6,598

Interesting stuff; thanks for the heads-up, Darren. :smile:

""You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike." - Zork        temp domain http://spidergriffin.wix.com/alphaghostapps

• LoadedLoaded Member Posts: 240
    edited June 2014

@LumpApps said:
    Nintendo is on the roll. I can see a Wii U in my future

What's the basis for this claim Lumpy? I fell out of love with Nintendo but I am looking for an excuse to love them again... new Mario Kart 8 is flirting with my interest! lol.

Website » Twitter » Facebook » Loaded Arts - Fun for thumbs.

Developer Blog » 08/01/2015 - Week 72 – Apple, the great dictator…

• LumpAppsLumpApps Member Posts: 2,880

It's just that all I see coming for the Wii U makes me wanna play. Yoshi, Mario Party and Kart 8 indeed.

Hey @Loaded‌ How about this? :wink:

""You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike." - Zork        temp domain http://spidergriffin.wix.com/alphaghostapps

• LoadedLoaded Member Posts: 240

@gyroscope said:
    Hey Loaded‌ How about this? :wink:

SOLD!

Website » Twitter » Facebook » Loaded Arts - Fun for thumbs.

Developer Blog » 08/01/2015 - Week 72 – Apple, the great dictator…

:smiley:

• MasterCosmoMasterCosmo MichiganMember Posts: 13

No Man's Sky is where I'm at. The seamless traveling from space to the ground is great and I'm looking forward to exploring the beautiful worlds.

• UtopianGamesUtopianGames Member Posts: 5,692
    edited June 2014

With the recent price drops and the addition of the superb Mario Kart along with some stella games now and coming soon I think it's time to buy a Wii U.

Darren.

• StormyStudioStormyStudio United KingdomMember Posts: 3,989
    edited June 2014

@MasterCosmo said:
    No Man's Sky is where I'm at. The seamless traveling from space to the ground is great and I'm looking forward to exploring the beautiful worlds.

Definitely agree on that. Looks really nice to play and explore. Also made by a small team of 7 people in guildford uk. . which is all the more impressive

• KnightStarKnightStar Member Posts: 162

I just spent 3 days at the show and I gotta say, it seemed like the final death-throes of the console industry. Sure, technology has advanced to the point in which games look totally amazing, but from a business stand point, I just don't see folks paying $59.99 for games anymore...or at least not sufficiently in number to warrant the millions (Yes - MILLIONS) of dollars to make the games. (As an FYI reference - when I produced Spider-Man 3 at Activision in 2005-6, the budget was $40M for development + ~$10M for marketing -- that was 9 years ago for an A-game, not AAA-game..)

This show had a lot of games on display, but I believe there was an easy 1.5-2:1 ratio of indie games to traditional developer games being shown in the Sony and MS booths. There were a surprising number of indie XBox Live and Playstation Store titles. It seemed like the Console makers were just happy to have more titles on playing on their systems (and hiding the grossly lower sales numbers of hardware units vs. this time point during the last console cycle).

These days, folks at Microsoft and Sony are just pickled to have someone watching Netflix on their consoles, let alone doing anything else in the living room where systems are usually housed. Nintendo - they made up for their bland showing with tons of hot showgirls demoing their titles; many of which were simply sequels or rehashes of old licenses.

The upside to this whole spiel is that WE happen to be in the right position. Folks nowadays are glued to tablets and phones (yet still struggle to spend $.99 for a game vs. the now absurd $59.99 game price point for console titles).

My personal takeaway is simple - we need to keep pushing to make good games on the mobile platform and more importantly, do whatever we can to support GameSalad in giving us the tools we need to develop. Based on what I saw, the two biggest things that would help us in development in this new era of games is thus-fold:

• Stitch up the Async Multiplayer system so it works seamlessly and easily for developers
    • Incorporate support for the Joystick API that Apple has included into IOS7 and soon to be iOS8 (even Bluetooth functionality for sticks would kick butt)

Things like Animation Sprite-sheets, updated particles, updated physics, etc. can wait; the current GS system WORKS for now and can always be improved later down the pipe. Getting Joystick support would take a HUGE bite out of the dwindling console market and get more traditional 'stick' gamers playing games on mobile devices that GS developers can provide.

Anyone else go to the show and have an opinion? :smile:

-- J

• KnightStarKnightStar Member Posts: 162

BTW - I just noted how many previous posters commented about how a new console 'might be in their future'.. Can anyone tell me honestly that they'd be keen spending over $150 (or EU equivalent) for a system just to play 2-3 games? And those games being $39-$59 each?

As a follow-up to my last post, PC games are also coming back - they seem to be the new go-to for hardcore games and gamers like when they were popular in the 90s.. Just check out Star Citizen / Elite: Dangerous or any of the AAA titles like Battlefield, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, or Call of Duty - all have PC versions that look 10x beefier than their console counterparts..

-- J

edited June 2014

I bought a Wii for Metroid Prime 3 and an Xbox 360 for Mass Effect (I loved Jade Empire so much it was a no-brainer).

I don't see me buying a new console until I can play the next instalment of either. But I'll pony up for both if Metroid Prime 4 is half as good as 1, 2 and 3 and if the new Mass Effect is half as good as Jade Empire.

I guess the new consoles don't have the no-brainer titles for most people yet.

I'm guessing when Valve get around to releasing their SteamBox thing with Half-Life 3 as a launch title it'll stomp over everything. If they don't have Half-Life 3 as a launch title... well they're mad :D