Macbook, Macbook Pro, or Hackintosh??

TaeManTaeMan Atlanta, GeorgiaMember Posts: 47

Basically what i want to know is shuold i get a Mac?? Because they are really expensive for obvious reasons. I think that i have the patience to make a Hackintosh which would be cool and cost effective.

Comments

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

Honestly, I wouldn't bother with a hackintosh. I used one for a while a couple years back and it was much more hassle than anything else. It was fun and novel to have one but it didn't work all that well. Granted virtualization software has improved quite a bit since then, but still.

If you're concerned about cost, why not use MacInCloud for GameSalad development?

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• TaeManTaeMan Atlanta, GeorgiaMember Posts: 47

ManInCloud?? @tatiang

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

Google it. It's a cloud-based Mac service that has GameSalad pre-installed. I haven't used it myself but others here have.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• jigglybeanjigglybean Member Posts: 1,584

Ive used both. Macincloud doesnt always update GS fast enough and you may have trouble downloading and installing software, I did. Hackintosh is too much hassle.

I've just purchased an iMac and still trying to figure it out but at least if you did get one, it will be yours and you can use GS latest versions and other cool software - once you've learned Macs way of doing things

Like Balls? Then click here! We've 100 coming soon

• Thunder_ChildThunder_Child Member Posts: 2,343
    edited June 2014

I use a macbook air. They are great with GS....I got mine through a "list from a guy named Craig" (wink wink)

• mc99093mc99093 Member, PRO Posts: 133

Hackintosh is definitely "not" the way to go. It was too much of a hassle and I wasted a lot of time I could've used on my projects.

• MattButlerStudiosMattButlerStudios Member Posts: 486

When you buy a mac you pay for the name, but you also pay for the extensive quality of the product. Being a macbook and iMac owner, I can genuinely say that I have no trouble whatsoever using my computer on a daily basis and find it fluent and easy to operate. Macs are extremely reliable computers and can handle heavy applications with the slightest internals. With all of this said I have been using only used macs throughout my years and they still hold to these standards even being years old. The bottom line is what are you looking for? If you want an extremely solid experience with gamesalad and other mac only apps, go genuine mac all the way!

• imGuaimGua Member Posts: 1,089

@MattButlerStudios said:
    When you buy a mac you pay for the name, but you also pay for the extensive quality of the product. Being a macbook and iMac owner, I can genuinely say that I have no trouble whatsoever using my computer on a daily basis and find it fluent and easy to operate. Macs are extremely reliable computers and can handle heavy applications with the slightest internals.

Don't want to start Mac vs PC thing and I know I'll be outnumbered here ;) But my opinion is exactly opposite. I'm using mac for more than 3 years, and I still don't understand why some people like OSX.

But if you want to use GameSalad, at the moment, there is no choice. You do need a mac.

Lol @imGua‌ I know most people here use macs, as most youtube tutorials are done with macs. I just wish they could bring the prices down on them a bit!!!!

• CodeMonsterCodeMonster ACT, AustraliaMember Posts: 1,078

I bought an iMac, keyboard and mouse all for $100
    Works great, I use it all the time.

• Thunder_ChildThunder_Child Member Posts: 2,343
    edited June 2014

I have always been a PC guy...i downloaded the PC version of GS, watched the tutorials and saw everyone using a Mac in them. The tutorials were useless to me so I bought a Mac. Why the front end doesnt look the same I have no idea. If they did I would neve have bought one. There must be some reason they look different. It makes no sense to plan it that way.

yes thats exactly right @Thunder_Child‌. All of the youtube tutorials are for macs

• scuurproscuurpro Member, PRO Posts: 63

I would get a Imac unless you are looking for a laptop there not as expensive as you think I but all the specs together with another pc vs an imac the pc cost about 700 dollars more alone. People forget about the resolution of the screen you getting its all in one Your getting wifi bluetooth camera mic flash memory and a bunch of more features in one machine. It honestly is a really good bang for the buck

• gamestudentgamestudent Member Posts: 504

I use a macbook, it's about seven years old, and still runs remarkably well, so anything used might be good.

• ookami007ookami007 Member Posts: 581

I got a refurbished macbook with warranty right from Apple for $800 by watching techbargains. I also found a really good used one for my niece from cowboom for about $500. Not endorsing either site, just telling you my solution.

• WbokoWboko Tennessee, USAMember, PRO Posts: 621

I tried the Hackintosh too, but in the end there is no comparison. If you hunt around you can find a mac fairly cheap now a days.

Good Luck!