I want it to look like the edge of my actor was knocked off

I am making a game that involves the player, basically just a square, getting pieces knocked off of it gradually making it smaller, but when I change the width, the square is shrunken from both sides so it doesn't look like a piece was knocked off. I want it to appear to have only shrunken from one side.
How can I achieve this?

Comments

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    edited June 2014

@SamStein said:

I am making a game that involves the player, basically just a square, getting pieces knocked off of it gradually making it smaller, but when I change the width, the square is shrunken from both sides so it doesn't look like a piece was knocked off. I want it to appear to have only shrunken from one side.
    How can I achieve this?

You just need to move it in the appropriate direction by the appropriate amount.

• imjustmikeimjustmike Member Posts: 450

You could fake this using images if you're not bothered about the hit box

• UtopianGamesUtopianGames Member Posts: 5,692

This might help?

Cant post link due to forum rules but its free on DBA (search for ice slicer in our search bar).

Darren.

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

@Socks said:
    You just need to move it in the appropriate direction by the appropriate amount.

For example, if you decrease the width by 10 pixels then you need to move the actor to the left by 5 pixels (half of 10) at the same time. This is because the width is subtracted from each side (5 on the left, 5 on the right).

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• SamSteinSamStein Member Posts: 5

@tatiang said:
    For example, if you decrease the width by 10 pixels then you need to move the actor to the left by 5 pixels (half of 10) at the same time. This is because the width is subtracted from each side (5 on the left, 5 on the right).

This is the method I have been trying, but it never seems to work-out. Has anyone ever done a similar project and gotten this method to work?

It always moves just a little bit too far.

• SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    edited June 2014

• tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949

@SamStein said:
    It always moves just a little bit too far.

I can't imagine why that would be since it relies on precise math but here's a demo of the method I mentioned. Click the red square to reduce its size.

http://www.fast-files.com/getfile.aspx?file=74452

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

edited June 2014

@tatiang

Thanks! I got it to work now